Saltwater Shrimp Pattern

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Greg, Jan 11, 2003.

1. Greg

Greg Member

http://ourworld.cs.com/nwflyfisher/spotshrimp3.jpg

Just wanted to share a shrimp pattern I recently started messing around with since I just wasn't happy with any of the popular "shrimp patterns" out there. Yeah, I know, it needs a few more periopods - I'm still refining the pattern. Entire fly is 2-inches long (minus the antennae, of course.) Constructive criticism welcomed.

HOOK: #4 Mustad 34011
    THREAD: Larva Lace Fine, clear monofilament
    ROSTRUM, CARAPACE and TELSON: Super Hair. Color: Shrimp
    PERIOPODS (Walking Legs), ABDOMEN and PLEOPODS (Swimmerettes) : Ostrich Herl. Color: Ginger
    ANTENNAE: Two hackle stems
    EYES: 30# clear monofilament, burnt & colored with black permanent marker then coated with head cement.

Note: Body segmentation created by overwrapping with fine, gold wire and then coating the Super Hair with 5-minute epoxy. DON'T epoxy the Telson (tail) or you'll never get the tippet through the eye of the hook.

2. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

I am not gonna criticize! That's one fine looking shrimp.

Oh, but is it a looker or a fisher? Have you tried it in the water?

Rob

3. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

That looks a lot better than mine. I tie them without the metal diving lip now. Too hard to get out of the water with the lip. First rock you hit it's history, but it does give a lot of action until then. By the way, this one is tied for freshwater.

Matt

"Everyday that you wake up and decide not to go fishing...is one less day you'll go fishing." Forrest Maxwell

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/dc/user_files/248.jpg

4. Greg

Greg Member

Tightloops & Mattzoid:

Tightloops: Its a "fisher." Thanks for what I perceived to be a compliment though; I really don't have the skills necessary to turn out presentation quality. Besides, fishing them is more fun than looking at them. I gave the fly a half-hearted effort earlier this week at a local inlet, primarily to see how it handled. Thought I had a "bump" but it was probably wishful thinking (though I did catch a 20" Blackmouth on that Sand Lance pattern I posted previously.) It casts well, sinks about 3 or 4 ips and rides "back side up." Movement of the "legs" in current is very seductive. I'd like to get the fly to "suspend" about 2 feet below the surface, so am considering adding a small strip of foam along the back and under the Super Hair Carapace. If I can achieve that, this fly should fish very, very nicely off a floating line. As it is, I fished it with an intermediate line from shore and had to actively retrieve it to avoid hanging up on the bottom not getting the drifting I was after. Materials all held together well, however, so maybe its got promise. I guess the fish will let me know how attractive and durable it is once I hook one.

Mattzoid: Very nice fly. Has it been productive for you and have you experimented much with adding lips on other patterns?Now you've got me thinking about possibly adding a very small lip for "wobble" on a saltwater epoxy baitfish pattern (like maybe a Surf Candy.) Wonder if that would take me over the line between fly and lure. Interesting you chose to use a metal lip; any particular reason why? Other than the difficulty retrieving it out of the water on the backcast, how does it handle with the added weight? With the bead-chain eyes and metal lip, I assume this fly sinks pretty fast. Does the conformation of the lip result in any erratic behavior on the foreward cast?

Greg

5. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Most excellent on it being a fisher! A truely fine looking fly.

6. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Nothing has been really productive for Steelhead lately. Even the Indians aren't catching fish in their nets, so I don't know. I had planned on trying it at Reiter, but they shut it down before I could.

I have experimented several times. I tried hair bodies shaped into propellers or lips and then reinforced with CA glue. They would break off after a couple casts. So then I tried the smallest spinner blades using Kevlar and CA glue in layers. Metal is a lot stronger plus I could bend them to say 10 to 20 degrees off the shank( only a slight angle works better than say 45 degrees ), but they still dive too fast and are heavy. The only way to fish it is with a Spey on a floating line. Even then it is hard to get out of the water as the lip really wants to suck it back down. I even tried a Norwegian style of casting it overhand on that 15 foot rod. It would shoot like a bullet 80 to 100 feet. It had a strange whistle in the air. But the first couple rocks it hit on the bottom of the river and it was history.

I have to keep trying though. It gives it a hell of an action in the water and with the black hair leech that I tied with it, you have action and hair rippling and waving through the water. Looks great, but I’m no Steelhead. Usually they don’t last long and I cut them up to re-use those Alec Jackson hooks.

For the future I’m going to try smaller bead chain or a larger body. I am also going to try clear plastic instead of metal. Those blades are just not small enough and I believe the lip needs to be more subtle as the larger lips tend to give too much action. Steelhead may not want to take a bait imitation having an epileptic seizure. I’m looking for that side to side motion in lighter currents so that means the fly needs to be lighter too.

As far as making it a gear chucking device, I don’t think so. I’ve seen the foam wiggle flies, but the foam would bend out of shape with my style of fishing. If I form the plastic lip to subtle specifications, light enough for the fly hook and tie the usual fly body imitating whatever, then I don’t consider it crank bait. I see it as eventually becoming a hydrodynamic piece of art.

I think that answers your questions. Let me know what you think.

Matt

"Everyday that you wake up and decide not to go fishing...is one less day you'll go fishing." Forrest Maxwell

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/dc/user_files/251.jpg

7. Dan Reynolds

Dan Reynolds Member

I'll take a dozen of those...some shimp cocktail and a cold beer!

looks good to me!:thumb

8. Greg

Greg Member

Yep, you hit all the questions. Bob Popovics in his new book "Pop Fleyes" describes the technique for creating a lip by using silicone on sheep's wool or ram's wool. Somewhat exotic for me (i.e. sheep's wool & ram's wool) but the use of silicone sounds reasonable. Wheels are spinning. Thanks for the response.

Greg

9. Greg

Greg Member

Ahhhh, Gambero!!! Let me know by PM if you want a killer recipe for either Gambero or Scampi. I learned these from one of the best chefs in Genoa. And thanks for the compliment.

Greg

10. BARTOLOTTI

BARTOLOTTI New Member

Greg- I don't claim to know much and I tie on a $30.00 vise...(my opinion and 50 cents wouldn't buy you a half a cup of coffee) but, that is a nice fly! Does it need more periopods? I have to constantly keep reminding myself: "We are the smarter species." and "K.I.S.S." (keep it super simple:professor )
    -glen

11. Greg

Greg Member

Glen,

Thanks for the compliment and the advice, I appreciate it. Your point is well taken.

Greg