Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Salty 5 weights....

8K views 95 replies 34 participants last post by  Richard E 
#1 ·
Looking to explore the beaches around me up here in bc, looking to get into a new 5 weight set up.

Just wondering what everyone is using...

I've been keeping am eye open for a 589 xi3 but I think they are like hens teeth =)

Jon

#56 ·
My two cents.....
I have never considered using a 5 wt. in the salt, too windy, flys can be heavy and Lelands popper is hard enough with a 6wt. on a good day.
I fish the salt exclusively with Sage 696RPL, finest rod I aver owned.
100% of my freshwater stream fishing is done with couple of 5 wts., that is what they were made for.;)

#62 ·
I most often use a Sage RPLXi 7 wt. that I bought several years ago. While it may seem a bit heavy, line weight wise, I am on the side of getting a fish in and out quickly. I have paired it with a Ross Gunnison 4 along with Outbound intermediate or a 40+ floater depending on the presentations I'm using. The outfit is actually quite light in hand so I don't get tired casting it. It helps, too, if it's windy or I run into something a bit bigger like a coho or blackmouth. IMHO it's much better to release the fish quickly as opposed to playing them to a point of exhaustion.

#65 ·
I really do love that I asked a simple, commonly asked question and it has turned into a lesson, and then a discussion on several intertwined subjects and experiences has come of it.

This truly is a great site with seemingly endless amounts of info. I appreciate it.

Oh.... I FOUND hens teeth =) or they found me.... 589 xi3 is enroute to the great white north!

Jon

#71 ·
I loved to work my old beater Loop Blueline 595 in the salt, but I just broke it last week at Rocky Ford. Not sure if I will even replace it. I also use my ONE 590 with a floater and Lelands popper for SRC, but Next time out I think I will go with a Vapen 690 with my Outbound Short Int. May my broomstick Blueline rest in peace!

#80 ·
Today was a fine example as to why I prefer a fast six weight in the salt.

15-20 mph winds that changed direction off and on all day. Fished all day till dark. Simply would not have been able to do so with a lighter rod. We caught a bunch of fish. Would have sucked have had to go home and miss out on that just so I could get an extra 7 seconds of fight out of each fish.

But to each their own.

#82 ·
I'm bringing this back up to the top. I bought a Sage X 5 wt with fighting butt from the Flying fishing film tour and the proceeds went to the Searun cutthroat group.
Fun rod but I need a 6wt. Feels great but for the fishing I do it isn't working for me. Reason is written in length by Nick above.
Long story short. I'm going to sell it. I've used it 3 times and it's in great shape. The rod case has a scratch or two on it from rolling around the boat. I haven't sent in the warranty yet so the rod is yours for life.
They retail for $950 + tax. I'm selling it for $825 without tax. The extra $ over what I bought it for will be donated to the Searun Cutthroat group.
PM me is interested.

#85 ·
I'll give a little update since I received my 589 Xi3.

I have had it out a couple times and let me say it is a STOUT 5 weight. It casts a 5 weight OBS nice but it doesn't load it deep. Casts 6 weight lines really nice also.

First trip to the salt with it and I caught my first searun.

Jon

#87 ·
Seeing how this thread was brought back to life, I'd like to say one thing (being a salty 5wt guy) in all reality if your 5wt
(which should cast 140 grain line) can handle a 210 grain shooting head isn't it really is a 6wt, so your salty 6wt's (160 grain) and your throwing 240 grain heads aren't they really 7wt's or more ? and so on. Just a thought.... can't really go by whats marked on the rod anymore ?

#88 ·
Point well taken Mark.
I think one of the big differences are the lines folks are using today. Overweighted lines versus lines that conform to AFTMA standards.
Years ago, before any of the lines with integrated heads (OB, Streamer Express., 40+ etc) were available, it was common for people to overline rods by 2 to 3 line wts with loop to loop shooting head systems. Some folks still use those today. Though antiquated by todays lines, those shooting head systems still worked well and didn't really stress the rods.

The line as far as rods and line wts are certainly blurred today as far as AFTMA standards go. I view them as just that, standards versus absolutes.
We certainly have it good these days in regards quality gear to fit everyones budget. Perhaps at times we have too many choices.
I was just on SA's site looking at streamer lines.....there are only 93 choices to look at. ;)
SF

#95 ·
Hey all. I will also post in classifieds but I have a Sage X 5wt, 591 that I am selling. I bought it about 6 months ago and I just don't use it. Only used three times.
I have two Salt rods that I use all year long. The warranty is still good as I haven't sent it in. I'm looking for $700, which I think is a good deal. PM me if interested.

#96 ·
Hey all. I will also post in classifieds but I have a Sage X 5wt, 591 that I am selling. I bought it about 6 months ago and I just don't use it. Only used three times.
I have two Salt rods that I use all year long. The warranty is still good as I haven't sent it in. I'm looking for $700, which I think is a good deal. PM me if interested.
Buy a TFO Teeny for $200 and save $500...or a BVK for $250 and save $450.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.