Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Salty 5 weights....

8K views 95 replies 34 participants last post by  Richard E 
#1 ·
Looking to explore the beaches around me up here in bc, looking to get into a new 5 weight set up.

Just wondering what everyone is using...

I've been keeping am eye open for a 589 xi3 but I think they are like hens teeth =)

Jon

#81 ·
What Mems said. The rods are nice to cast, have a fighting butt, are VERY affordable, are tough, and backed by the crazy good TFO warranty. No brainer. It could be a primary rod until you find that coveted XI3 589. Always good to have a backup rod, too!

#6 ·
We don't have resident salmon up my way (north of the border) and cutties are few and far between as it is. I think a fast action 5 weight would be perfect for my applications.

So yes, I understand a lot of people use 6 or 7 weights due to wind and coho or springs etc, but I'm looking at a 5 weight for now.

Jon

#12 ·
I use the same 5 wt/floating line setup for beach fishing that I do for summer stream/river fishing. I will concede that a 6 wt. would be helpful on windy days, but nothing beats the versatility of a 5 wt. I've only gotten into a few fish big enough to make me wish I had a heavier line. I use 0x leader and tippet and never have an issue.

As for specific brands, I use a 9' 5wt Cabela's RLS+ that I bought almost two years ago the day after I went fly fishing for the first time. $130 for the rod, reel, and floating line. I haven't had to replace anything yet and I average 75-100 days on the water every year. That said, I just noticed a crack in the fly line last weekend (still not bad for the amount of time I got out of it). I would also recommend looking at Echo - their stuff is pretty affordable and they have a no-questions-asked replacement plan if you break anything.

#7 ·
Fast action 5wts with fighting buts seem to be a rare breed. A few that would be on my list: Sage Xi3, Sage Salt, Redington Predator. I'm sure there are more, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head. I have a 5wt TFO BVK (no fighting but) with salt-ready reel seat that would be a decent option, and I have used it in he past. Really, any fast (or med-fast) action 5wt will do fine if you make sure to rinse it off good after each use.

I still prefer a 6wt and then you have a lot more options. A 14" SRC doesn't feel any bigger on a 5wt than a 6wt IMO. It's more about comfortably casting heavy flies long distances in the wind. 6wt > 5wt for that purpose.

#22 ·
I use my 6 for nearly all my freshwater fishing too, including the cedar. But that is mostly because "my" 5wt is actually my dads so I leave it home in Idaho. When I do walk the cedar I usually take my 6wt rigged with a nymph or streamer and my 3wt SP for dries. A 14 inch fish is a ton of fun on the 3wt!

#26 ·
I think it really depends on your budget. There are certainly more choices out there today for a salty 5 wt then there were years ago.
If I was just fishing saltwater for cutts and nothing more, a 5 wt with a small fighting butt would be a good choice.

I'm in the 6 wt camp myself, mainly due to how versatile they are and as mentioned, when the wind blows.
Fishing 10 mph winds on the salt is almost like a dead calm day....:D

Good luck,
SF

#28 ·
@Nick Clayton isn't the Link the rod you had the cork wore down to the blank!? Yeah, that thing has seen some use and abuse! I'm sure it's had its share of clouser strikes too with those giant eye clousers you tie. I'd say it's proven a durable rod for you. I do know the CPS has light tip issues, but that's just what you get with a super light rod. My 8wt Sage Salt is the only rod I've broken more than once....those things are fragile as hell! My RS4 is as durable as a freaking tank, but it's about as heavy as one too. The predator gave me more of an impression of a lighter RS4...my guess is it will strike the sweet spot between weight and durability.

Like you I'd also give a non-saltwater rated reel (original Rise with no sealed drag) a pass for not surviving 200+days a year in the salt with no rinse! haha

@Stonefish I was thinking the same thing with the wind! "Man, I love it when it's only 10 mph wind." ha

#31 ·
Matt, that was actually my Salt that wore down to the blank. Though if you recall the WFF collective decided that I obviously did that with a tool of some sort ;)

I did just go look at my Link and the cork is on its way to achieving the same thing, though I don't fish it very often these days so I'm not too worried.

Plant Wood Tree Grass Twig

I did snap the tip of my Link once while high sticking a chum. But if rods breaking on chum is the bar for deciding they have durability issues then I'd guess most rods would have durability issues lol.

#30 ·
Guess I've been the lucky one with the wind. Even with this shitty winter we've had, my go-to spots are usually pretty calm (even when places like Tacoma Narrows feel like a hurricane).

@Josh I hear you. I was just giving my endorsement of the 5 wt. option since the OP said that's the route he wants to go. If I had the budget, I'd get a 4 wt for dries and small streams, a 6 wt for the beaches and all other freshwater, and an 8 wt for steel and salmon.

#32 · (Edited)
I'm a fan of using 5 weights for "small game" beach fishing. I used a Scott S3S as my primary beach stick for about 5 years and then switched over to a Loomis Max GLX for a couple of years. As long as I knew that I wasn't walking into adult salmon territory, I would grab either 5 over any of my 6's. Both could cut through the wind 80% as well as a 6 weight but (I believe) provided more "sport" on fish in the 12 to 18" range.

If you're set on a 5 weight as much as it sounds like you are, I would put the Loomis Max GLX in with the Salt and Predator as far as current options go. The GLX is smooth and responsive but has enough muscle to punch it through the wind.

OTOH, if you're open to vintage graphite and a fighting butt is still a requirement, then an S3S or an Xi3 would also play. There's also an older version of the Max GLX (it's brown instead of the current gray format), and I seem to recall Sage making the RPLXi in a 589 version, as well. Like you said, though...hen's teeth.

#34 ·
I used my Sage SP 590 on saltwater for most of the 25 years I have owned it. This is an earlier, two-piece rod. I used it for trout, char, shad, schoolie stripers, and more. It has been excellent on the salt here for sea-run coastal cutthroat trout fishing. I can't believe that it hasn't fallen apart by now.

I have also extensively used the Temple Forks Outfitters 9 foot five weight Lefty Kreh Signature Series rods, in both 5 weight, for searuns, and 7 weight for coho, on the beaches. These rods have been work horses, as I have shared them with my fishing guests and fly casting students over the past 15 years, with no problems at all.

My Orvis Superfine 5 weight is a full-flex, slower action rod. I have used it on the beaches for sea-run cutthroat many times, but I prefer a faster actionrod myself.

Most recently I have been using the Orvis Recon in 9 foot 5 weight. The action on this rod seems perfect for cutthroat trout fishing to me. I plan on getting a few more. I'm not what you might call a "gear whore", partly because I can't afford to be one. But also because I like to take my time, and work with a rod for a while, under varying conditions, to fairly assess its utility for my fishing and guiding.
http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com

#35 ·
No offense here in the least.

Not what the OP intended I'm sure, but some good stuff here.

In the end it really comes down to your own fishing style.

Are you going to fish when the wind is over 10 knots or will you stay home and tie flies? Are you ok with cutting a day early when that afternoon wind kicks up? Are you mostly going to throw smaller flies? Are you interested in getting the most fight out of a smaller fish? If this is you then a 5 wt is going to be just fine.

Myself, I don't care too much about the fight of a src. My enjoyment comes from the take, and releasing them quickly. In between I'm not so worried about. I also prefer to fish all day when I can, and absolutely hate going home because the wind kicks up. I also like to throw larger flies at times... So for me a fast 6 wt is the best tool.

There's no right answer for sure, just whatever fits you best.

#40 ·
I would think the 589 Xi3 would be sweet. Did they keep this line in the Salt model?

There is a Sage 590-3 rplxi that is a strong rod to consider if you can ever find one.

G.Loomis GLX in 5 has a graphite fly seat and can cast and fight fish with the best of them even today.

Many good choices out there, good luck

#41 ·
I would think the 589 Xi3 would be sweet. Did they keep this line in the Salt model?

There is a Sage 590-3 rplxi that is a strong rod to consider if you can ever find one.

G.Loomis GLX in 5 has a graphite fly seat and can cast and fight fish with the best of them even today.

Many good choices out there, good luck
They have a 590 Salt. I agree it would probably be a great rod for SRC.

#51 ·
yeah, I do love that rod. It is a Winston 9 1/2 ft boron xii 5 wt., and thank you Brita for the recommendation (after loaning me her rod for a week. And yes this is a recommendation for the staff at the Avid Angler). It is my all round sound rod (except when I'm keying on migratory fish, then I generally use a sage one 6 wt switch or an old Winston single hand 8 wt). I will admit that sometimes, at a spot with fast steady current, I will change to a 4 wt. switch.

#43 · (Edited)
I've always used a fast 5wt for cutts and rezzies, then I'd switch to a salty 6wt for silvers and pinks then a 8wt for chum. Now I just use my Winston 9'6" 5wt Biimx for everything, hell I can only cast a 8wt for about 1/2 hour before the shoulder starts to give out and can cast a 5wt all day, sometimes even two days in a row:). I can get good distance in the wind and has no problem getting big chums in, it's more fun..... just bends more.

Also if you have a 5wt rod (you'd like to use) that's not under warranty, it's really easy to put a fighting butt on, I put one on a Grey's XF2 that I sometime use in the salt and it's worked perfectly for a couple years now. Just another option.

Mark

#44 ·
I got pretty hammered before the fly fishing film tour and ended up bidding and getting a Sage X 5 wt. Got my ass chewed when I got home from the boss but it was worth it. Great rod. I ended up getting it at the auction for $650 when they retail for $950 so I'm pretty happy and the money went to the coastal cutthroat colilition. Money well spent.

#45 · (Edited)
Looking to explore the beaches around me up here in bc, looking to get into a new 5 weight set up.

Just wondering what everyone is using...

I've been keeping am eye open for a 589 xi3 but I think they are like hens teeth =)

Jon
I fish the new Redington predator 5wt in the salt for sea run cutthroat and resident coho. So far I'm very impressed with the casting ability and fish fighting ability of this rod. I have not found wind to be an issue when using this rod in the salt. Its very easy to throw lazer tights loops in the wind. rod has a lot of backbone for a 5wt. As far as durability is concerned it's a tough stick. I've straight up dropped it on the ground, and the tip didn't snap like a twig. Obviously if you clouser your tip then it's going to break if it doesn't when you hit it. I fish on weekends and I rinse it after every 3-4 trips to the salt. Which turns out to be about once a month. The guides still look new, has no signs of corrosion after almost four months of fishing with it. That's part of the reason I purchased a saltwater specific rod. I wanted to be able to fish it and shove it in the corner and not worry about corrosion. So far it's far exceeded my expectations for a rod in that price range in durability and performance. If money wasn't an issue I'd go with a higher end rod like the sage salt or sage x which are very good rods. As for the predator, you won't find a better rod in its price range for the saltwater in my opinion.

#47 ·
Wow this thread sure went places!

So basically I'm learning the best 5 wt is going to be a 6 weight.

I guess the gear whore in me just wants a salty 5 weight. Maybe a custom build is the way to go or just put a fighting butt on an existing rod...

I'm also curious to hear a real life review of the X...

Jon

#48 ·
I've
Wow this thread sure went places!

So basically I'm learning the best 5 wt is going to be a 6 weight.

I guess the gear whore in me just wants a salty 5 weight. Maybe a custom build is the way to go or just put a fighting butt on an existing rod...

I'm also curious to hear a real life review of the X...

Jon
I cast the Sage X a few times at demos or at sages casting pond, and it's the best rod I've casted. Paired with the coastal quickshooter, that rod is the business. Every cast feels effortless and lazer loops are the norm. Anybody who purchases that rod won't be disappointed.

#52 ·
I am late into this thread so please forgive me if I am repeating anyone. - I recommend a 6wt for our saltwater searun fishing. Here's why: If you're intending to release ANY fish, it is incumbent on you to bring it in as quickly as possible. Of course, you can catch any fish on any weight rod. Catching is the easy part. It's in prolonging the fight and the lack of backbone in landing that takes time and builds the killing lactic acid in the fish. Hell, I even recommend leaders tapered to 0x. I have seen too many fly fishers "baby" their hooked fish because of too light a rod and too light of tippet.

Leland.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.