"Same old, same old" for subsurface patterns but top water squid pattern was the "ticket"inches

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Roger Stephens, Apr 22, 2014.

1. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Roger I have seen injured or dying squid swimming in circles on the surface which prompted me to tie the one on top with a popper head squids.JPG

2. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    Something that I discovered while fishing over a number of sea run Cutthroat that were feeding in a riffle along a beach. They were smacking away on the surface just like they might in a river when taking drifting caddis off of the surface, in sharp snaps. We were using baitfish patterns, surface flies like poppers and sliders, muddlers, chum fry etc. Nothing was working. We were presenting each pattern a dozen times or more. I began changing up the flies on every second cast. This caused some consternation in my fishing guest as he was not used to starting and stopping so frequently. He gave me some exasperated glances as we ran through all of the beach flies in my box over about ten minutes of constant casting work, changing flies every two casts. I got out my small stream box and began tying on smaller freshwater trout flies, size #12, two casts, size #14, two casts, size #16 . . . BINGO!!! They began taking a very small dead drifting Parachute Adams, right off of the surface. We caught almost a dozen Cutthroat trout in the next half hour. That really got my attention. Once one of them wanted that fly, all of them wanted that fly. I love those squid flies Roger! http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com

3. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Last time I was out I saw the same thing, they were rising to something but nothing I could see. I left scratching my head. What hatches out of the salt? Nada. Way to think out of the box Bob, pretty crazy, but next time I may give it a shot as well! I wonder if they para adams looks like something else in the salt. I've wondered if they are small jelly fish they are eating? I need to bring a seine next time so I can see what's really going on. Or maybe their river instinct hasn't left them yet...who knows. I've only ever had success with dries on the salt water with termite patterns.

4. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

This past winter on the canal my fishing partners and I encountered lots of small black bugs flying around. They were very small, about size of which would have been imitated by a Griffith Gnat.
    There are a number of creeks nearby and they must be midges hatching off from them.
    While the fish weren't on them, my buddy who lives on the beach has seen then eating them before.
    Pretty interesting that they would target such a small food source when other larger prey are readily available.

That is one of the cool things about fishing the salt. Just when you think you've seen it all something else new pops up that you've never seen before.
    SF

Alexander likes this.
  5. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Crab megalops?
    http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com...a-runs-eating-habits.85870/page-2#post-800737
    crab_megalops.gif

Bob Triggs likes this.
  6. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Not unless crabs are black and can fly.

7. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
  8. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

I've seen them hit a toothpick stuck on a leader ahead of the hook with a rubber band like used on braces. My guess is that it's the wake, heresy or not.