Same Shit, Different Day

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Ed Call, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Kerfwappie

Kerfwappie Member

...on his super light Orvis Helios switch (I cast that sucker today...sweet sickness for sure)...

Yeah, I hear you on that. I got to cast it for awhile, and man do I regret even touching it. Both my rods feel like knotty old alder branches now. Ignorance certainly was bliss.

2. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    I thought it would be a great day on the water today, too. Gray skies, light wind, drizzle mid-ebb tide. Hit my favorite beach. Three strikes from small fish, hooked one small SRC by accident. I bent over to unhook him and he jumped into my striping basket. Took a quick picture, and off he went. No bait, no seals, no birds, no fish movement anywhere. Weird.

I feel your pain... Well, not any more. Finished grad school years ago, retired now, no kids, wife wants me out of the house. Nothing to do but go fishing or shoot skeet.

Actually, I haven't got a hint of your pain. SAT.

Actually, it was worth the trip, though. I heard a loon calling off in the distance. I haven't heard that sound since the late 1960's. Really neat.

3. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

You and I were on the same boat today Ed.

Did my routine drop off my wife at work and headed to Picnic around 6:30.
    Same weather.
    Same tide conditions.
    No fish jumping after an hour of fishing. So I walked back to the car and drove over to Mukilteo to check out the scene there. People dotting the shoreline tossing their buzz bombs. I ask some of them how thier morning was and if they had any success.
    Nothing so far.

So I decide to head south along the shoreline and do some searching alone.
    Plenty of boats hundred of yards out, but no sign of any bending rods.
    Spotted a small cutthroat or coho (?) off shore making a couple of jumps but was unable to entice it to take the fly.
    Still no rolling or jumping humps.

Then the boss calls around 9:30 and needs my help so I turn around and head back to the car.
    By the time I get back to where the others were tossing the lead I find out that 3 were brought to the beach.
    Good for them! Nada for me.....

So Ed, I feel your pain.

But don't give up yet! They're still out there. :thumb:

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I'll be back out in the morning, at least for a few hours before the ideal outgoing flow, but it will be when I'm free to fish.

5. Mike (Doc) LaCombe

Mike (Doc) LaCombe Member

Such complaining doesn't fit you Mumbles. There are sad stories everywhere. Here's one to add. My neighbor (80) was going to go out on his doctors boat this morning for some humpy hunting. I just walked by his place and there he was in the driveway. "What happened Bob", I said. "His damm boat broke down", replied Bob. "I thought he had a fancy boat" I retorted. "He does, but the engines weren't working properly" ,fired back my grouchy old neighbor. Ah BOAT, break out another thousand, I thought.

I continued on my morning walk grateful that all I had to worry about this morning was leaky wadders.

Mike

6. Ed Call

Great morning out with Kerfwappie. No fish for us. Saw a familiar dynamic duo in a small craft near our location land a pinkie. Had a couple of follows, a couple of short strikes and a swirl here and there. Brief outing but good fishing. Eventually I'll get into some fish. Maybe tomorrow morning, eh Rob?

7. Trevor Thorp

Trevor Thorp Happy to be home in the NW

Hit Lincoln Park yesterday around 5:30 in the afternoon. Counted 34 gear fishermen lined up for a quarter mile. Got set up and stripped out some line. Made the first cast while sort of daydreaming, not really thinking about catching anything yet. First strip and I get a strike. As quickly as it came it was gone. Had another about 15 minutes later, thought I set the hook well enough... LDR after a few head shakes. Then nothing for the rest of the evening. The gear guys were doing well up and down the beach.

8. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    Organic Flax Seed Oil and Flax Seed Meal are very rich in Omega 3 Fatty Acids with the added benefit of no pesticides, fungicides, mercury, mirex, PCB etc.....Cant say that for Salmon of any kind.

9. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Keep at it Ed and your line will come tight......

10. Ed Call

Bob, that flax seed stuff sounds damn tasty, great point thought. I'll try to keep my cool and let the catching happen if it happens.

Thanks Stone, I'll keep at it, regardless of the outcome. Eventually I'll find a dumb one!

11. Big E

Big E Active Member

Perhaps the 3Es need to go out together and combine all our no-fish karma, maybe that will work.

12. Mike (Doc) LaCombe

Mike (Doc) LaCombe Member

Trust me you don't have to be an E to get skunked. This M has his fair share of fishless days.

-m

13. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Similar story for me today, but it was my first shot at the beaches so I can't expect too much. Fished a beach a friend told me about for about 4 hours today. Don't know much about tides, and ideal conditions, so who knows if it was the best time to be fishing, but I had fun. Hooked what looked like one small humpy, saw two guys in a boat clean a fish or two, and that was about it. Ran into a fellow WFFer who told me I was on the same beach as the Kitsap outing earlier in the week. Will be back out in the AM to chase em around again.

14. Ed Call

Fished my third morning of my three day weekend with my third fly fishing friend. Again, great to get out with another great guy. Looked fishy as hell, oh so fishy, I was so sure that we'd be in them thick as thieves. One gear guy hooked up to a very nice fish, a large coho or small king. He looked like a rubber monkey doing his business to a football for a while, then settled down. He finally got that fish in from its nearly 100 yard run just to high stick it while standing right at the water's edge. That upright rod and vertical line position was not working to hold that fish and pop, off it came. It was right at his feet, splashed him in the face then was gone. It was exciting then gone.

Oh, yes, third skunking in as many days. Great day to be alive, out and fishing. Somewhate surprised that a guy like me has not happened to cross paths with a single stupid fish that will hit my offering. Maybe next weekend.

15. atdwash

atdwash New Member

South. Go south. We had another big pink day today and I would say that half of our fish were in easy reach of the beach. And we actually picked up one coho too. So if you don't mind pinks--go south.