Sammish Slough

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by TANGLES, May 8, 2012.

1. Jeff Cheng

Jeff Cheng Jeff Cheng

fyi, the water level has dropped a lot. pretty close to where it normally is in june.

2. Drysuperfly

Drysuperfly Member

I fished here a lot this last summer and got pretty good at getting a few trout a trip (no squaws), my biggest is 16" cutt, it was a but (caught same time my profile picture was taken) but my question here is has anyone floated the slough at all? I am new to pontoon boating and I want to start fishing rivers with it and I figured this one was a good starting point. And it is currently open to fishing which is always a plus.

3. Jeff Cheng

Jeff Cheng Jeff Cheng

I have not done it personally but where were you thinking of starting? I believe there are some spots that you may need to walk through if you're starting up in redmond. I would also be interested in finding this out.

Edit: actually with higher water level right now you may be ok.

4. Drysuperfly

Drysuperfly Member

i was thinking of dropping in about at the baseball fields by the winerey, then taking out at the bothel landing (i know the water slows down for easy exit) i have fished the woodenvill area alot (never been further up then that) it seem deap enought except for where bear creek enters i might have to drag the boat a little ways down stream but its light and all adds to the experence.

i am thinking that if something goes truely wrong i can either float it out to lake wa or just beach it and call a friend.

Diehard likes this.
  5. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

fish or row
    you're gonna need to decide

6. Drysuperfly

Drysuperfly Member

Its a two person pontoon :) so half fishing and getting a river anchor

7. William Wallace

William Wallace Active Member

Fred,

My father was one of those guys who raced up the slough. I have an old photo book from Bob Carver that shows a lot of those wrecks you talked and yes my father was one of those. It was fun growing up seeing my dad race.

William

Jeff Cheng and Porter like this.
  8. Tyler Sadowski

Tyler Sadowski Active Member

I have been fishing it all week Its a little high still. I grew up fishing it and it has produced at times. Haven't hooked a dam thing this week although I have missed a fish every time, nothing has stuck. If you know where to look catching fish can be fairly consistent but its not a show stopper. Don't expect much and try not to hook a jogger. Its more about getting out and enjoying the water than anything else at this point. Everything is closed till June so it doesn't leave us much in the way of flowing water. Good luck and chuck streamers, nothing big just stick with smaller olive stuff. The smolt migration should begin soon.

Jeff Cheng likes this.
  9. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

this thread is almost 2 years old, and back then I wrote that my own experience there has shown steadily dwindling trout production there. Last spring I experienced my first ever skunking on the slough. Another time I landed two 9" cutts and a dozen or so pikeminnows. I still think the population drop relates to the dropping productivity of the Issaquah hatchery upstream which for a decade has pumped out fewer and fewer smolts in spring. Last spring there were very few smolts migrating out.

10. steelydan

steelydan Newb seeking wisdom

I think your comment about Pike Minnows outnumbering Cutts is more telling.
    Fish it more and catch and release the PMs onto the bank behind you.
    I live nearby and would like to connect when you guys are heading out there.

11. Jeff Cheng

Jeff Cheng Jeff Cheng

Do I hear a meet up on the slough???While joggers tell us how it's closed?? Hahaha :)

Tyler Sadowski likes this.
  12. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Steely Dan, your catch-and-bank is exactly the practice I've used for several years, but it seems to make little difference. Two years ago I ran into two guys in a boat launching at the Sammamish Rowing Club at the outlet, and they were plugging NPMs for some WDFW bounty of (I think) $5 a fish. They had a lot of them in a bucket.

13. Jeff Cheng

Jeff Cheng Jeff Cheng

I thought the bounty is only for the Columbia. If there is one up here, would love to know more about it.

I have also been releasing on the bank but they really start to stink after the pile starts to grow.

14. Drysuperfly

Drysuperfly Member

Definitely down for a meet up some weekend. I throw the pickeys to shore.

15. Drysuperfly

Drysuperfly Member

Or cut their bellies to feed the monster crawdads