NFR Sampling satisfaction with life with the Farmer Wave

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Paul Huffman, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith DBA BozoKlown406

I always wave on Rock Creek Road, and during the good fishing season I get a lot more waves back. Lately there's a bunch of assholes up the crick. I even got yelled at for parking near someone last week (parking spots were scarce with the fresh snow I didn't feel like getting my VW stuck, you jerkoff!). I've come to think that it actually is the damned Californians waving back during the summer.

2. NCL

NCL Active Member

Over ywenty years ago I was hunting elk in Montana, one day I was out with the outfitter and I noticed he waved to everyone that passed. The idea of waving at everyone intrigued me and we started talking about it.He then told a story that he was visiting his grand daughter in San Deigo and while he was slowly driving on the freeway he commented that San Deigo was just like Montana that everyone waved that passed, he said his granddaughter responded "granddad they are flipping you off for driving so slow". Well the idea of waving to everyone intrigued me so when I returned home I started waving to everyone I saw as I traveled from my house to the freeway, about 5 miles, but I include everyone even if they are walking or standing in their yard. It was funny at first because you got some very startled reactions, and looks like do I know you. Well I have been doing it for about twenty years on my road and now other drivers beat me to the "wave".

3. bakerite

bakerite Active Member

It's the standard here......if I'm spacing out thinking about work my neighbors will let me know!

Jim Wallace and Mark Kraniger like this.
  4. Theron

Theron Active Member

Here in Nebraska on the rural gravel roads a finger wave is almost always returned. One, two or three fingers is accepted. If you raise your hand off the steering wheel that means you want them to stop and talk.

5. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

I lived on Lopez Is. for many years and everyone there waves while driving. One of the ways you could tell a local from a tourist.

6. Bradley Miller

Bradley Miller Dances with fish

Appalachia: everybody waves a subdued, economical wave.....a couple of fingers, usually. At first, it was surprising to find out I knew so many people there when I didn't actually know anybody.
    I bought a motorcycle a few years back. Everybody waved the special "low" motorcycle
    brotherhood wave except the cops. They were too busy being aloof, but that was ok too.
    Maybe we need a special fly fishing wave.

7. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Oddly enough, the motorcycle cops here DO give you the low hand wave when you ride by on your bike. Actually kind'a weird.

8. Bradley Miller

Thats probably not a real bike wave. They're just motioning for you to slow down. :)

9. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Hmmmmm.... I never thought of that! Guess I won't wave back :) ... unless the cop is speeding.

10. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    Sound quality is a little off, then again, when I get in the spirit of waving this is what's playing in my head, so for more sampling, here's some music:

11. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Only problem around here, it seems if you're friendly at all they think you want to kill them or steal from them. People freak out.

Onto subject. I always do a friendly wave. I don't do the Nebraskan farmer wave. Which is literally your hand on the steering wheel, and you simply raise your index (no, not the middle finger) in a wave motion. That's saying "hello, have a good day" basically. Funny being back on the family farm and driving through town. You'd see pre teens driving, usually sitting on several books, and doing the wave as you drove by. My exwife didn't believe about the wave, until she got there to visit. I still do a wave when I'm driving down my side roads on my job. It's rural Key Peninsula, so I'm on the backroads most of the day. But as I pass a customer, I wave.

12. Dan Cuomo

Dan Cuomo Active Member

I lived in VA for ten years or so. As a threashold matter, "hello, goodbye, please, and thank you," are the standards of civil interaction in the American South. The "code" for signaling hello from the road, in Charles City Co., was a single index finger raised off of the steering wheel ii you were not aquainted with the oncoming driver, and both index fingers, if you were. Such ought to be no surprise, in a land where older southern women - Richmond bluehairs - will, I swear, refer to a confilct which took between 600,000 and 700,000 lives, as "the late unpleasantness." Quail hunting isn't the only thing I miss about The Old Dominion.

Alex MacDonald and Paul Huffman like this.
  13. Bradley Miller

Interesting. I spent some years in the south western part of Virginia.....it's a very different culture, thats for sure. I do remember opening day for fishing season once though; I swear the stream was narrow enough to jump over and there were guys all over the place.... Beautiful country though, and whenever I go back I take along a copy of 'Fishing Virginia Trout Streams' with me.

14. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Home Page:
    I was over in Sun Valley last week. The only return wave I got was from some old boy in a bucket truck. Although it seems to be fashionable to say on a chair lift or a bar stool that you're from Ketchum, I think these people are stretching it. It seems like nearly everyone is from out of town now. Most of the lodge employees are from Chile or Argentina.

Last month between Wasco and Condon, I went 7 for 8. The only car that failed to return a wave (or wave first) was a sheriff's car. Maybe he was looking down at his radar.

15. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

Most people still wave on motorcycles...hell, I wave at scooters too.

Automobile waves are regional, though I've found I get a lot more of the subtle 'fingers lifted off the steering wheel' wave when I'm driving my pickup deep in a rural area. These folk classify waves from sedans as somewhat suspicious.

And in the panhandle of North Idaho....a wave from anybody with a full set of natural teeth, is viewed as 'gubmint interference'.