Sand shrimp and coonstripe shrimp overlooked food source for Puget Sound fisheries

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Roger Stephens, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    I agree. Especially since I can't recall having read this back in '09.

2. Bill Woods

Bill Woods New Member

I can't find anything online about Roger's Sand Shrimp and cannot afford the awesome book the pattern is mentioned in, would anyone be willing to help out with the makeup of this pattern?

Bill

3. sroffe

sroffe Active Member

I didn't think to look at the date until I saw Les Johnson's post. Nice blast from the past, good read Roger.

4. chrome/22

chrome/22 For him there whould always be the riddle of steel

Peninsula Outfitters
    19740 7th Ave NE
    Poulsbo, WA 98370

They had the BEST shrimp fly I've ever seen. Picked one up, yet to fish it. Super realistic, but as you'd imagine..... spendy

c/22

5. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Look at bonefish flies. There are several that are shrimp mimics and in the clear tropical waters, they have to be pretty good matches.
    Steve

6. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

I've never had great results with ultra realistic patterns for the fishing I do up here.

I'm a big believer in keeping things simple and for me anyway the results are noticable.

7. flyfisherman_sean

flyfisherman_sean Fly fishing enthusiast.

I've been tying up some realistic ones similar to that but in a different color. They look awesome and have been doing pretty good.

seattlee likes this.
  8. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

Roger, i dont know about coonstripe but sand shrimp have been a staple in any drift fishing steelheaders bait box for many years now. back in the day we used dig them up in and around the mud flats in north sound beaches. if they are the same ones you are talking about, they are about 3-4" long pale on the belly but orange on top. and still very popular. summer runs love em.

9. seattlee

seattlee Active Member

Thanks! I will give Peninsula Outfitters a call...I don't get out to Poulsbo much, but maybe I should make a trip.

The super-realistic shrimp patterns seem to have a dedicated following in Europe for sea trout, but not so much in the US.

10. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Mark Mercer and Nick Clayton like this.
  11. SilverFly

SilverFly Active Member

Here's a pretty good one from down under. Might not be a perfect match for a coonstripe or sandshrimp, but should be a fairly easy pattern to tweak. Cool technique with the dubbed body:

Buck 'n' Dubbed Shrimp

[​IMG]

12. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

All src anglers owe it to themselves to add a few of these to their box. One of my most consistent producers since I started tying them a year or so ago

seattlee likes this.
  13. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Thanks Brian, if anyone's interested in the pattern here's a photo of the original and the SBS of the newer version which is pretty much all I tie on anymore, but they both work equally well.

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/threads/the-new-rabbit-cutthroat-squimp-sbs.85663/

I really believe realistic patterns are more for the tier then the fish, I think the best patterns are simpler with key elements that will trigger a strike, imo cutts or rezzies don't need a exact intimation just has to look like something alive and eatable and familiar.

The only exception I've found might be when they're feeding on amphipods in winter but even then I've been able to catch em throwing a squimp next to the pod, just seems to work for me.

Mark

DSCN1589.JPG

14. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    upload_2016-12-15_8-13-11.png \
    I use this guy dead drifted, sometimes under an indicator, over mudflats and gullies when the shrimp float out on the tide. When you see terns not diving, but hovering and then lowering to nip off the water surface, check to see if these guys are floating by. Just as they are getting hammered from the air, they are getting hammered below by perch and cutts. The fly is about 1.25-1.5 inches long, and anything super light tan to light orange would work. Behind that heavy collar is some rabbit fur, just like Mark's Squimp, instead of a carapice topping it, I tie with the strands pointing hookside down, so when it is wet the strands look a little like eggs or legs, the rabbit is a few shades lighter than the tail because the legs and eggs look a few shades lighter when they float by. The tail is old stuffed animal and a little stiffer, the eyes are plastic barbell, these guys don't sink, they are floating between two inches and 1 foot below surface.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  15. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Great pattern Wadin' !!!! I'd think it would work pretty much anywhere in the salt or estuaries.
    I also tie the squimp in a off white (squid) and a peach (or coral) color which is similar to yours. Nice fly !

Mark

wadin' boot likes this.