Sandy Spey Clave

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Jim Riggins, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Bob, just look for me sitting on the sidelines, bitching and trying to get the hand to work!

2. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

3. DocDoc

DocDoc Member

Since there are deer, there is also the occasional cougar. We had one in the campground the early part of the week a couple years ago.

4. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Whooooa! Not heard that before, but given the areas Topo ... that wouldn't surprise me a bit.
    fae

5. sandspanker

sandspanker Member

so friday is ladies day so no men can go then???

6. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Yes you can ... just sit quietly and enjoy the 'view(s).'
    ;>)

7. Rivertrance

Rivertrance Spey Tripper

Why can't men be more like normal people? Gals have a tough enough time being taken seriously on the river without troll-like comments that turn a simple women's fishing event into a Beevis & Butthead sideshow.

Just sayin'...

--KIM--

8. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Rivertrance,

That's likely because men aren't normal people, or more accurately, what you perceive as the obnoxious behavior of men, is normal for men. It's that Mars : Venus thing. Having casting demonstrations specifically for women is in everyone's best interest, IMO.

Sg

9. sandspanker

sandspanker Member

I don't want to oogle I want to learn.... but if men are not allowed then I will work and try to make it out the on Saturday. Just looks like a good set of subjects for beginners not just women..

10. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Agreed. Taking my 12yr old Daughter down there. Having women/girls demonstrate and teach is a HUGE help for her whole drive to spey cast/fish.

11. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Her ladyship will have fun. I should bring a box of cigars, and we can just sit under a tree and behave-sorta!

12. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

13. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I know what your sayin,I get the same treatment at the yarn shop!!!

14. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

YOU TOO!!!????

Several 'bead shops' here in Ashland and I'd go there for 'fly tying materials' .... OOOOOOOOH THE LOOKS, THE "Say What's?" The valed comment about 'We usuuuusssssaaaalllly don't get Men in here?'

Last time I left with my tail between my legs ....... Hours of 'ther-o-pee' there after.

15. Rivertrance

Rivertrance Spey Tripper

Hey Guys,

Thanks for your understanding. As a woman spey angler, being treated like a novelty or oddity on the river is sometimes routine. (Like the guys in the yarn and bead stores!) My prior post was a knee-jerk attempt at pointing that out for consideration. Luckily, most guys on the river have become comfortable treating gals like any other angler.

I’m old enough to understand the Mars:Venus thing, and I know that (in reality) behind every successful woman is a man checking out her butt. I also realize that guys don’t seem to see any harm in discussing women that way, and many of the discussions on this website are proof of that. On the other hand, from the women’s perspective, that kind of conversation can be perceived as simply condescending and even creepy (and the dearth of woman participants on this forum may also be a reflection of that).

Women who follow this sport seriously enough to pursue spey casting and steelhead fishing are simply passionate about the rivers, fish and sport-- just like the rest of the guys-- and hope to be treated that way. Discussions that objectify your sister anglers as oogle-worthy (instead of peers) in this type of a PUBLIC forum perpetuates the perception that treating women anglers as novelties is still publicly acceptable.

The fact that the organizers of the event choose to offer a separate “women’s day” as a means of reaching out to more women to participate somewhat underscores the issue. I appreciate seeing notes from guys who look forward to sharing this event and sport with their daughters/wives/girlfriends. Although I’m not a fan of the separate-but-equal message that a “women’s” day sends to the angling community, it’s good to see that a non-intimidating environment has been created for those who may not participate otherwise. Overall, I totally agree with Sandspanker that it would be good to have a workshop day for ALL beginners instead of a gender-specific clinic -- which in the end continues to reinforce the impression of “otherness” between the guys and gals.

O.K. – now I promise to crawl under my rock and revert back into lurk-mode for a while. Thanks for listening.

Fishful Thinking,
    --KIM--