Trip Report Saving some fish, seasonal bucket biology

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Gyrfalcon2015, Dec 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Matt B

Matt B ...

On its face I totally agree with this. It is amazing how animals can adapt. Humans are really adaptable animals for example. Maybe the most adaptable animal? But it’s not like you can just dam, dike, drain, de-water, and straighten rivers and streams and expect the animals that adapted to the unaltered habitat over a long evolutionary process to quickly adapt to the new conditions. Look at Upper Columbia fish. They haven’t adapted to the altered Columbia too well. But that’s not what you meant, right? If not, what did you mean?

Upton, my original statement about the “ditches” being streams was just coming from my background working with agricultural landowners. Once the lowland streams get out of the hills and hit the valley floors, they’ve been altered so drastically and for so long that folks often forget that that’s where the fish live! They don’t look much like how folks picture salmon streams—they look like ditches, and are often managed as such, and that doesn’t do the fish any favors. Thanks for saving juvenile fish that needed saving!

Gyrfalcon2015 likes this.
  2. Gyrfalcon2015

Gyrfalcon2015 Wild Trout forever

Extinction is a part of the process of evolution to create space for whole new types of creatures to fit niches via hostile takeover, or geologic change to astronomical interference..Asteroids, Comets, to X-Files stuff -(yeah )!

In other words, some creatures evolved, some fully disappeared, but change they did-sharks and some others have stayed pretty intact for a very long time, they are proven winners..for now.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  3. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Yeah, adaptation and evolution are not synonymous. Generally speaking adaptation is behavioural while evolution suggests genetic change. Thinking of this brought the thought of epigenetics to mind (as in hatchery vs. wild steelhead), I doubt potential epigenetic changes end once the creature becomes an adult. Think I'll leave that alone for now.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  4. freestonebound

freestonebound Active Member

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

You all have to remember that 150 years ago there wasn't any tractor ruts for fish to get caught up in when the river rose during runoff or high water.