Saw something that I had not seen, as seen on TV

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Olive bugger, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Watching a commercial the other day. I don't even recall what it was selling. Good advertising, hun?

Anyway, a fellow was standing on the bank, outfitted in the latest fishing garb and reeling in on a fly rod and reel. Only thing odd was that the guy was cranking with his right hand and turning the reel handle toward him. It looked backwards to me. I do reel with my left hand, but on some occasions my reels are set to reel the right side. It just look to like it was backward. Anybody else set their reels up that way?

Maybe he just set the rig up backwards and he had to go with it for the camera.

Anyway, it is a slow morning here in sunnyville.

2. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    Fly fishing B-roll almost always get it wrong. Like a giant rapala on a fly rod, thigh high waders and a fishing vest, and a look of great happiness. Most times when you really look at a guy fly fishing it is not so much idiot grins but laser focus and intensity.

3. Travis Bille

Travis Bille Active Member

Reminds of that goofy symbicort commercial where the guy is centerpin fishing with fly line and a big red and white bobber.

4. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    What?!! You mean that I've been doing this wrong all these years?:confused:
    I thought all you had to do to get "left-hand" drive on a fly reel was just to fish with the reel up, and crank it backwards! Dang!;)

Ha, just kidding, of course. I do sometimes reel in my fly line on my old Medalist 1492 1/2 with the reel up, using my left hand to crank it backwards, when I'm reeling in for the day. I can layer the line on more evenly when I'm watching what I'm doing. I usually strip line in when I'm playing a fish using this old clicker drag reel, since its "R-hand drive only"

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man (NFR)

All my reels are set up for a left hand retrieve. I tried the right handed scene but I suck at opposites.