Scadden Assault vs. BSI Watermaster?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Kent Lufkin, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

I made the Kodiak seat very cushy by using a Thermarest Trail Seat that I velcro and clip into the standard seat. The Kodiak with the expedition and the anchor mount options has a bunch of well positioned D rings though. I haven't had an instance yet where I needed more maneuverability. I haven't compared to an Assault but the WM is definitely slower than a 'toon on a float.

2. sroffe

sroffe Active Member

I've always like my Wilderness Access, with the inflatable seat, it's very easy to pack and carry in my truck. The Assault XX is very enticing to carry two people.

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

My Kodiak had the expedition package and BSI installed extra D rings too. I modeled that pattern when I added D rings to my Scadden Assault. My inflatable pad on my Kodiak's seat base board was not as comfortable as the fully inflatable seat on the Scadden. The full 360* footprint of the Kodiak on the water tends to add some stability, but does seem to slow the boat down. The rocker of the Assault really improves the handling and tracking, IMHO, and I've stood on the inflatable seat of mine and found it stable enough to fish from. Both are great boats. I'm happy with the Assault and I know my buddy is happy with the Kodiak he bought from me.

4. Sterling silver

Sterling silver Member

Hey, Mum..............er, Ed, How do these boats work on still water? Are they comparable to
    pontoons as far as rowing and dealing with wind? The ability to pack to a small size really appeal
    to me for travel and use on bigger lakes with the oars. Previous experience with the old two man
    yellow rafts has me sceptical.

5. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    Mine works great on stillwater, which is mostly what I fish. I bought the XX so I can take clients out as well. They track great. Like a closed end Zodiak style. Even works great with a gas or electric motor., but that is my experience, Mums may differ.
    I am amazed how quick these move under oar power. I was fishing next to a gentleman in a WM last year at H. He commented how quick and easy my boat appeared to move. He said his was sluggish.

6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Sterling, I'd say they track quite similar to a pontoon boat, fin kick very well and catch no more wind on the side than any other inflatable craft. I really like it on stillwater. The Kodiak might have been a better stand and cast stillwater craft because of it being on the water all around, but I cast from a seated position. On small lakes when no great wind is expected I'll still use one of my float tubes. On larger lakes, I'll bring the Assault, no reservations at all.

7. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

I went to the Sportsman Show and purchased the XXX, I am excited to give it a spin. THe difference between the XX and the XXX is the tube diameter is 15" on the XX and 18" on the XXX. Also XX is 10' vs 12' on the XXX. I am not totally sold on the Oar mounts but I will give them a try befor adding a small rowers frame. I did go with the upgraded Carbon Fiber Oars

8. Redfisher

Redfisher New Member

Dave has both the XX and the XXX at the show with great pricing. They are a big step up from the Assault, and I love the Assault. One thing on both of these that I noticed is that the balance for carrying them to the river or lake is spot on. Very nice products. Congrats on the purchase, Scarboo.

9. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    Me too. You step in the middle and lift. I love that! Even with the bags on and the front seat it balanced out to make carrying easy.

10. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

This is the case for WM's as well. Very handy when the parking lot is some distance from the boat launch.

11. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

One thing I have noticed about the Kodiak is if you try to carry the boat with any anything on the cargo deck it wants to tip. I correct and it oscillates. With that hard seat deck it can be painful on the upper shin. I often wear knee pads over my waders for kneeling to get low on the bank when Curtis Creekin' so maybe throw some some cheap shin guards in my cargo milk crate :) .

12. T Dave

T Dave Member

Sounds like a nice boat. Look forward to hearing more about it after you get it wet

13. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    Now the old man wants to sell HIS X5 for one.

14. Sterling silver

Sterling silver Member

Well, I bit on the Assault. As they say, the check is in the mail. Should be a fun ride.

15. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    WHAT, you bought into the HYPE! LOL what color you get?