Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Scadden Assault XX frame

Boats 
3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  I'm not here 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I know that I personally have searched for all the old info I could find in order to modify my Assault xx. I figured I'd put up some pictures of what I put together.

I just spent five dawn to dusk days on the river with this set up. It worked really well. My fishing buddy happens to be on the small side, so he was fairly comfortable on the front box, and I spent some time up there as well. Anyway, I pieced together a NRS frame with Minimags, and used a roll of pipe insulation threaded over a strap for the long rods. The set up is still light enough for me to put on the top of my car by myself, and strong enough to back out of mild rapids safely.

Water Water resources Sky Cloud Boat
Water Plant Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Tree Gas
Plant Vehicle Grass Asphalt Road surface

Everything also packed down small enough to fit inside my car with all camping gear, fly tying set ups, and I'm pretty sure a full spey shop.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

See less See more
#9 ·
Hey guys, I know that I personally have searched for all the old info I could find in order to modify my Assault xx. I figured I'd put up some pictures of what I put together.

I just spent five dawn to dusk days on the river with this set up. It worked really well. My fishing buddy happens to be on the small side, so he was fairly comfortable on the front box, and I spent some time up there as well. Anyway, I pieced together a NRS frame with Minimags, and used a roll of pipe insulation threaded over a strap for the long rods. The set up is still light enough for me to put on the top of my car by myself, and strong enough to back out of mild rapids safely.

View attachment 104914 View attachment 104915 View attachment 104916

Everything also packed down small enough to fit inside my car with all camping gear, fly tying set ups, and I'm pretty sure a full spey shop.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Hey there, do you remember the length of the crossbars you used? I am currently building a frame very similar to this and from the looks of yours, the width sits perfectly against the welded oar pins.

#10 ·
I have gotten dozens of PMs about this set up over the years, should have posted this here long ago.

I ordered the two cross rails @ 39" w/lopros & 2 60" side rails. Fits inside the glue on pin oarlocks.

I called NRS to talk about foot bar options and they recommended the delux foot bar, so I ordered it, but it doesn't actually fit between the tubes. Had to send it back.

The solution I found is to use two carabiners and a 4' strap, or the stock foot bar that came with the raft, but I never liked that thing.

I don't remember what length oars I bought, I think 7'.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.