Scadden Assault XX in progress

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Gregg Lundgren, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

Hi pdev,

I personally don't anchor in moving water, so I can't comment. Others may have feedback and are welcome to post it here, but you might have better response starting a new thread. That will get more eyeballs on the issue. I hope you enjoyed your new boat on her first drift, less the anchor problem of course.

2. Gregg Lundgren

The saddlebags interfered a bit with the near side of the WM stripping apron. Not bad, but I would like to get it more taut, yet easy to release.
    Solved - Routed the bungie cords under the saddlebags to the outboard D-rings. Easy to do.

The adhesive backed Velcro loops strip I added to the boat will need some PVC adhesive over time. (The industrial strength Velcro label did mention: not so good on flexible vinyls)
    Solved - Sure enough, the adhesive started to get gummy and pull away in the sun. BSI provided some Velcro strips and PVC adhesive when I ordered the additional stripping apron. Removed old and applied new after re-measuring for new rower's position.

3. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:

Put it on and tighten before you fully inflate. I use several large links of chain for an anchor (when I use an anchor) and no slipping at all. I did buy a flexible plastic cutting board I put under the straps to keep the anchor from banging against the pontoon.

4. Gregg Lundgren

Well, I am still puzzling this out for the Assault XX. Tube strap rod holders are out due to the front and back cargo decks. Like Jesse, I can't envision an elegant solution quite yet. Laying 9 foot rods down only leaves about 8" overhanging the boat, and you can secure the rod(s) with the Velcro strip on the saddlebag. So, this is doable for now.

The best location for a glue-on Scotty rod holder(front right for me) would interfere with getting onto the oars. Blue makes the suggestion to stow the oars blade first, and this would solve the situation for stillwater. But, I do worry about that configuration on the river should the blades get hit by rough water or an obstruction of sort. Am I being a bit too paranoid?

5. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

If you are in rough water your badges are not stored forward, they are in use, no?

6. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:

In all honesty, I got rid of my Assault and got the new version. I will not be putting a glue on in the front on this boat.
    My open bow boats yes as I can tilt it more to the inside. I will still put on on the back.

7. Gregg Lundgren

I see what you did there.:)

Leave it to Ed to apply some logic here. But you assume I am always paying attention, and I am. Unfortunately sometimes it's to a fish, or a stubborn knot.:eek:

But seriously, touché my friend!

Ed Call likes this.
  8. GrumpyWizard

GrumpyWizard New Member

Bill Aubrey and Blue like this.