Scadden Outlaw Rampage -- It's Here!

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Michael Nelson, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

Michael,

Where did you find D ring patches?

Bill

2. Michael Nelson

Michael Nelson Old And In The Way

Home Page:
  3. Michael Nelson

Home Page:
    Interesting. I had thought this was a "Made in USA" product, but I think you are right about the Incept thing. On the other hand, Incept appears to be a quality builder and they have a good reputation.

It looks like North Fork Outdoors is the USA distributor Incept Marine (all the way at the bottom of the page):

http://www.inceptmarine.com/incept-raft-kayak-canoe-catalog.htm

4. Michael Nelson

Home Page:
    Well, NFO shipped the oars to my home address in spite of my having told them twice in emails to ship to my work address which I gave them twice.

So I had to take a day off to meet the UPS guy this morning.

Guess what?

They sent the wrong oars. These are only 5'3" feet long, a 8" too short for my boat.

NFO is an amazing company. :beathead: :beathead: :beathead:

5. verendus

verendus Member

This may be hard to believe, but, I don't think NFO makes anything here in the US. They are rebrand other boats made overseas, or manufacture their boat in where most stuffs are made these days. :)

6. Michael Nelson

Home Page:
    What they make is a lot of promises they fail to keep.

7. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

I'm really sorry to hear of your bad experiences with NFO. I have a 2 man Scadden that I bought 3 years ago-it has been a very awesome boat and I've taken it on lots of white water rivers. The service I've had with them has been perfect and I really enjoy talking to Dave Scadden at the shows he goes to-he always remembers me and we have a great time trading stories of fishing out of the boat. My brother just ordered a boat from them and it just arrived-again, perfect service, shipped to his business address. Again, sorry for your experience! I still think the Scadden designed boats are the cutting edge of the pontoon boat market. (of course, since he once designed boats for Bucks Bags and later for Outcast, means most boats out there will be his design.) Rick

8. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

While NFO sells the Incept boats in the US, there is no way to know if they also manufacture the Scadden Boats. I'm pretty sure Dave told me they were made in Utah, but I can't be sure on that. I wish I was buying my Scadden today-the new design (Avenger xxx) is so cool and adaptable to so many situations! Rick

9. Michael Nelson

Home Page:
    Far as I can tell the products are great. I don't believe NFO makes any of them though.

But their business is managed very poorly, judging from all of my experiences with them and from the experiences of others I know of.

Yes, they are nice. Frankly, I would prefer folks who maybe aren't all that friendly but know how to to their jobs and make stuff happen correctly, consistently.

10. Michael Nelson

Home Page:
    Check out:

http://northforkoutdoors.com/howwedoit.html

Look at the guy in the grey polo shirt who is cutting the material. There is an INCEPT logo on his shirt. The shots look like they were taken in the same shop that is pictured on the Incept New Zealand site.

No, this is not proof that Incept makes the NFO boats, but it does give reason to think it's possible.

11. davec

davec Member

Pleased to hear that you like the boat, sorry to hear about the difficulties with the service.
    Let me add to the mix.
    I talked to Dave Scadden at the Puyallup Sportsman Show, in Washington State, earlier this year. I asked him: "where are the boats made", his reply, " in the US". I said: " thats good", he confirmed that was indeed good!

12. Michael Nelson

Home Page:
    Maybe they are. I don't believe him, but that's mostly because I have known him to speak with forked tongue, and to say whatever it takes to get the sale.

13. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

It is too bad that a brilliant innovator like Dave Scadden doesn't have the ability to surround himself with quality people who can take care of customer service that would match the quality product line and then give them ownership of that task.
    Good product will not trump customer service in the long run as it evidenced in this thread.
    Blessings
    Jesse clark

14. Michael Nelson

Home Page:
    NFO told me the 5'3" yellow cf oars I received from them would work. They won't. They are so short that the blades run into the side bags and you can't stow them. They are a full 8" shorter than the stock aluminum 5'11" oars.

NFO says that they don't have 6 1/2 foot ones like Dave said they would be, but they do have 5'11" ones, so I figure that'll be OK.

They overnighted the box of oars to the motel where I am staying on my fishing trip. I opened the box.. inside, is another set of the aluminum 5'11" oars exactly like the ones I already have.

This whole thing has just turned into a sad comedy. I don't understand what it will take to get Dave Scadden and NFO to send me the oars I ordered. I don't think they could provide worse customer service if they were trying to.

15. OHJoe

OHJoe New Member

A friend of mine just ordered a toon and other stuff a couple of weeks ago from them....Im afraid to call and ask him how things are going/ went. I can tell you this has definately helped me decide on what companies to deal with in the future. Sorry anyone would have to go thru this in any type of transaction.