Scadden pontoons.....

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Tschu, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Ryan Ferrill

Ryan Ferrill New Member

Yeah that.

I bought a Skykomish Sunrise boat from Dave Scadden at the Portland show a few years ago. At the time, it had a suggested retail price of $1,600 I believe. Dave sold it to me for $1,000 at the show. I thought that was a pretty good deal.

People are gonna have their opinions about everything. I've floated my boat on a lot of different rivers in the west, and I can say that I've have never been disappointed with my Scadden boat. I love the way it responds to the oar, I love its durability, and I love that I can pick it up over my head and walk a quarter mile... I'd highly recommend one!

2. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
  3. Tschu

Tschu New Member

Thanks for the posts. A great help!

4. Plecoptera

Plecoptera Active Member

Never used one, but Ive compared them side by side to my homemade frame(s) while on the river and my opinion this they are a little overpriced for what you get. Definitely some cool (and functional) designs though and the fact that most of them can be picked up and carried around is a good selling point for those needing a truly portable boat.

The components and quality however just don't seem to be on par with a lot of the top brands. Most of the DS boats retail for nearly $2K which seems to be on the high end. I'm currently building a 12' 2 man cat for that price, using a lot of legit whitewater grade components.

5. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    There is a guy here that made frames for Dave's Cardiac Pontoons. The frame was $800. Ouch!
    All I can add to this as far as how they are built, my brother had the Expadition 9' pontoon with aluminum frame.
    Strapped it to his Durango and headed down the highway. Boat came flying off the roof due to defect in the roof rack at
    68 mph. Bounced, slid, rolled, bounced somemore and finally stopped. Slight road rash on the skin, broke one of the plastic
    seat bolts and the plastic oar sleeve....that was it. Boat is still floating.
    I concidered NFO as the top brand, but maybe I am confused, what is the top end pontoons? And why?

6. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Jacks plastics made in USA .. period!

7. themaninthemoon

themaninthemoon Just waiting on warmer weather, .......

Not out to bash anyone's product, but I bought a 14'set of Maxxon tubes & I'm happy with them. There was a couple of tears/rips/splits in the fabric of one tube, but they sent me enough fabric to patch those, and many more if there is ever another problem. I just need to figure out what he said about using to glue the patches with, & where I can get it for the least amount of $ moolah.

Then come spring I'm hoping to have enough $ to make another trip to my SIl's place in northeastern Alabama, & get some of those big old Lg mouth, striper's & crappie, to fill a couple of coolers & have a big old fish fry. My wife & her lil' Sis are some of the best cooks around, when it comes to southern eatin'!

8. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Blue, I know that you are constantly bragging up Scadden on here and that is fine, but they are in no way even near the top of the pontoon market. If you did a little research you could educate yourself to see what a really good pontoon is without just rehearsing the same story with Scadden.

As mentioned, Jack's Plastics is a quality US made pontoon that Scadden can't touch. Others are Maravia, Sotar and even NRS pontoons (though not all make smaller pontoons). Scadden has (or at least had on some models) bladder pontoons, which I would stay away from except for the Aire products.

As far as why, start with materials and how they are put together. The type, material, and processing for putting the seams together all go a long way in determining the quality of pontoon. Some of the better materials come from Germany and US, although some of the environmental laws passed in the US has made it more difficult to manufacture here. As you might have guessed, imported material from eastern Asia is not as good. And I'm being honest because we use some of that in our boats.

I'm not totally dissing on Scadden products as he has found/created a nice marketing niche for the one step above the big box store boats but anybody who knows anything about the pontoon world will agree with me that he is not even close to being the top end in the pontoon world.

With all that said, there is no reason why you are anybody else can't be satisfied with Scadden or any other dealer out there.

9. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    In the real world of every day fishing with the possibility of floating some white water, yes I have done research. That would be the world of Outcast, Bucks Bags, Watermaster,Classic Acc., Creek Co., not the hard core class V white water you are referring to. Yes I concider them top. And yes I have own most of the above mentioned.
    Plus my research took me to boat shows that several of these are presented at.
    Now throw in the mix, a well made boat that ONE can pick-up and move plus a price range that is acceptable, yes I am talking top of the pontoon chain.

You know your stuff and you told me good, but I really think we are talking Apples and Oranges.

Lastly, the post is about Scadden, so yes I answered and yes I brag them up, just like you do about what you like.

10. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Blue,

Good response.

You did ask the question however, and I responded with an honest answer.

Yes, you are correct in that we are talking apples and oranges because the difference in our respective definitions of "top of the line" is so great, that they can't even be compared.

Since you re-stated your definition of "everyday fishing with some whitewater" and "one that can be picked up and moved with an acceptable price", well that statement is more realistic.

11. jakesmylab

jakesmylab New Member

I've got a Scadden Skykomish that I picked up at the Portland show when they first came out. I love the pontoon but even more so love the way Dave Scadden handles his business. About a week after buying mine I stopped at the bank machine on my way out of town to fish. To my amazement, I was about $900 short of what should be there and still had a number of bills that had yet to clear. Ended up getting charged twice for my toon, it's good but not that good. Called their office and spoke with a receptionist that couldn't do anything for me at the end of the workday on Friday. I explained to her that I was headed out of town to use my new pontoon for the first time and without sufficiant funds would be forced to head home. Slight exageration on my end but I was a little angry. Within the hour, Dave Scadden called me up and offered to wire me whatever cash it would take to get me on the water for the weekend. I kindly passed on his offer and explained that I'd be fine and was just happy to know that it was as big a deal to him as it was me. By Monday afternoon the $$ was back in my account and that Friday some goodies from Dave arrived in the mail. I think he puts out a quality water craft and it would tough to find someone in his position that would handle an issue like he did. I don't think you can go wrong with the purchase of a Scadden product.

12. longstick

longstick Member

To all the guys that have a sadden. How the hell did you get one. I am in Alaska and have called and wrote multiple email to try and buy a few for my buddies and I. No call back or emails returned. Customer service is horrible

13. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I have emailed and called. Both ways got me in touch with Dave. Email took longer when he was on the travelling show schedule. Send them an email stating your intent to drop some $$ for some boatage and see what they say. The first time I spoke to Dave was 20 minutes after sending a detailed message of what I was intending to by, accessories I would want included in the package deal and how soon I needed it to make an upcoming fishing trip. Seriously, 20 minutes later my phone rang and we hammered out all the details.

14. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Longstick,

What are you looking for? If it is something that we have, you pay the shipping and we'll send it up. You don't like it, send it back, no questions asked. If it is something we don't have, maybe we can design and build it?

15. Shapp

Shapp Active Member

A little reality check,

The scadden boats are not for whitewater, but for flat or nearly so rivers for fishing in my opinion after looking over this things in great detail.

Even most whitewater rowers rairly if ever actually run Class V. Class IV to IV+ is generally pretty knarly whitewater. Class III to III+ are usually fairly big rapids. This is big water class IV+ with big consequences (Cable Rapid, Owyhee)

This is lowish water class III with consequences (Whistling Bird, Owyhee)

I consider myself a very compitent IV+ rower, and I sure as hell wouldn't be running the supposedly "class V rated by the man himself" scadden tinker toys through Cable. I can tell you that some guys lost some of these not so capable craft on the Lower Owyhee (upstream of the reservoir) this year when they got into trouble.

To the scadden owners that claim to run class III and IV with these craft, It would be great to have some more info, what river, what class III and IV rapid have you run, and photos or vids of such feets of skill would be great!