Scadden Renegade Under Power

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by LCnSac, Mar 10, 2012.

1. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    You guys crack me up. You're worse than I am. You're never happy unless you're screwing around with stuff;-) I think your hand control system is great. Did you make the potentiometer/speed control box or replace the electronics from the head? I guess steering isn't very important to you....;-) Actually you don't need it in these boats for the most part.

2. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    I never turn the motor, just steer with feet. AND I found out through laps of memory and forgetting to pack fins, that you can steer with JUST your feet.
    On this motor, we just removed the control (I guess the reo-stat)from the head. I bought a metal box and a big radio know at Radio Shack. Glued the control in the metal box and notched where each click was, then made a label. The wire ribbon had like 5 wires in it. I don't think this is possible with the Maxis. Maybe, but haven't really looked into it.
    This was nice because if you needed to chase or a quick stop, the control was right next to me. No reaching back.

3. gofish101

gofish101 Member

I have read that gel cels are more finicky to charge and that agm's don't like to be fully discharged. Can anyone comment on the true benefits and disadvantages of each. By the way I am a newbie, so be gentle. I have a Traxxis 36 with maximizer I got from a big box store in BC and used a 35Ah wet cell on a ODC and got about 6 hours. I have just bought a Skylomish and was thinking of replacing the battery with a 40Ah or 50Ah to last the day.

4. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    I have no direct experience with anything but a conventional lead plate battery. Gel cells are being phased out. There's really no weight advantage to any of the three given the same capacities. The two big advantages of the AGM batteries are no spill and they can sit longer discharged. I had my Walmart deep cycle discharged for a year and it charged up fine. I have no intention of paying double or more for negligible benefits. My opinion only. I'd go with close to 100 AH so you can run all day at speeds you choose and not worry. I have 115 AH--seems ample--but your amps can get chewed up in wind.

5. mojo

mojo Member

If I remember correctly, gel cell batteries need a special charger. They have to charge slowly. A regular charger will destroy them.
    AGM's are cool because THEY WON'T FREEZE (in most conditions) like an lead acid battery will. They'll take more abuse than a gell cell. They're about the same price and they're a little lighter. Like LCnSac mentions, they can sit on the shelf for a long time- little draw down. Something like 1-3% a month is all. And you don't need a special charger.
    Biggest drawback $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    FWIW, the new Minnkota's with the maximizer setup. PURE GOLD. Unbelievable stinginess when it comes to battery drain.

6. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    LC, you mentioned Anchor. Mojo did attach it to the motor mount, but the weight of the Anchor (chains) kind of tilted the mount. First attempt however

[​IMG]

Those glue on mounts we added are for Scotty mounts. Meaning even the Anchor system as well as the rod holders. You could put them anywhere that you are unable to wrap the straps around.

7. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    The Scotty system has never worked well for me. Even reefing it down on a frame on my previous 'toon, it slipped. That and the rod holders are still unsolved. I think I'm going to use two d rings, cam straps, and some velco as I messaged earlier on each the front pontoons for the rod holders. I don't like the idea of a glued mount for packing in the duffle. I might just keep the anchor loose and drop it in front of the seat and tie it off somewhere.