Scadden vs Outcast

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by golfman44, Oct 9, 2013.

1. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Thanks...now that could very well be my next boat...I think the scaddens, outcast, buck bags, etc. all kind of fall into the same similar category...then there are these and there is another one that is pretty close....these you could use just about anywhere and be safe...
    Damn I want one of the 10' ones!!!

2. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

I'd take a 10' Outcast PAC1000 over a boat built on cheap glued tubes any day. Back in the day, Steelheader made great boats until, IMHO, they switched to the same crappy imported tubes all the custom frame builders are using. Buying a boat for the frame is like buying a car for the tires and fancy rims. You will have 2 sets of replacement tubes under that frame before the Outcast tubes even begin to show their age, and even then, they will keep on ticking.

And if you want a custom or sweet stock boat with an awesome frame, get a hold of BDD and look at a Catchercraft boat. If I didn't already have a PAC 1100, I'd look at one of their frames with the optional JPW tubes, which are made in the US and are some of the best made anywhere.

3. Bucktrout

Bucktrout New Member

I have fished from a Super Fat Cat since it first came out and it was my favorite platform, even with the hard foam seat and backrest. But I have upgraded to an NFO Outlaw Escape and it is a pleasure to fish from and much less tiring. Inflates in five minutes, honestly. The seat really works well and is much more comfortable than the SFC. I bought the inflatable seat and back rest for the SFC but they do not have enough rigidity so you end up needing a front strut somewhere to make up for the rigid foam seat.
    The Escape is very solid in waves and with an extended foot rest it rows quite easily and makes crossings much quicker than kicking the Super Fat Cat. I did not like the detached gear bags but have gotten to like them better as I have adapted and now I can store them in my van and leave the tube outside when I am camping. Pretty convenient. I have not had any requirements for Customer Service from either company.

Blue likes this.
  4. Slate Run

Slate Run Incredulous

Just stumbled on the Catchercraft site (http://www.catchercraft.com). Anyone with any experience with these?

5. SpeyFitter

SpeyFitter Active Member

When I bought my Outcast Pac 1100, through some correspondance with Outcast just before the purchase, I was offered the oppurtunity to upgrade the 11' toons that come with the Pac 1100 FS to the ones they used when they still made the Pac 1100 HD a few years back for a bit more $$$ (I never did this, but I'm sorta kicking myself for not doing it, but no biggy, I don't anticipate having any problems with my 'toons in the near future and I have a good repair kit and a spare bladder should something ever happen, which I doubt it will, plus a 10 year no fault warranty on the 'toons too). The Pontoons that come with the Pac 1100 I have are slightly thinner PVC outer's with single Urethane bladder per pontoon (with Leafield valves). The ones that came on the Pac 1100 HD had slightly thicker PVC outers with dual bladders per pontoon fore/aft, again with Leafield valves for each bladder obviously. The Pac 1100 HD pontoons are essentially made to the same quality/thickness/specifications/durability as all the cataraft toons in the entire AIRE line up which has pretty much dual bladders per 'toon and the same thickness PVC outers. If you've done some research you'll find the AIRE 'toons are pretty damn robust and utilize more by whitewater enthusiasts who put them into some serious water. If you're using the boat, this is a good way to go.

6. Freestone

SpeyFitter, I have the HD pontoons; they are awesome!

SpeyFitter likes this.
  7. SpeyFitter

SpeyFitter Active Member

You lucky SOB! I can't complain though - I don't anticipate having any issues with my Pac 1100 FS 'toons. They're pretty damn well built and tough to boot. IF something does happen like I said I got several fall back plans (I like to be prepared - if you drift with me I got ya covered LOL) from an on the river get me through the rest of day plan/repair kit/approach, to a permanent repair on a big trip plan (got an Aire/outcast repair kit plus some Stabond glue), to a I don't need the boat for a 1-2 weeks, I'll ship the 'toons to Outcast for repair plan (i.e. warranty). Somehow, unless I'm fishing bony rivers a lot, I don't think I'll have any issues (knock on wood).

Having said that, I've already been pondering an NRS frame with AIRE Wave Destroyer toons. I can dream can't I? Those 'toons look awesome!

8. SpeyFitter

SpeyFitter Active Member

This is myself on my Pac 1100 crashing through a class 3 wave on a pontoon boat course I took with Chilliwack River river rafting over a month ago (On the Chilliwack River). It was a blast!

[​IMG]

Freestone likes this.
  9. Freestone

Well, I also have an NRS frame on the 13' WildCat/PAC1200 tubes. The frame is heavy though so I am going to try the PAC1100 frame on the 13' tubes for some whitewater play.

10. SpeyFitter

SpeyFitter Active Member

Do you have the Pac 1100 FS frame or the HD frame? The HD frame was heavier (and heavier duty obviously). I'm happy with the FS Frame - it's a very well designed, lightweight, yet decently robust frame.

11. Freestone

I think it is the HD frame too.

12. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:

I see you are in Seattle. I'd be happy to meet you and show you one of our demo boats and even let you take it for a test row. You can meet us in person and ask us all the questions you can dream up. We'll give you honest feedback, without any sales pressure.

13. Slate Run

Slate Run Incredulous

PM sent......

14. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

Good move. I met BDD at a FFF conclave. His boats are awesome, he is low key, and a standup guy. If I were in the market for a 'toon...

15. PT

PT Physhicist

BDD, I could do this in a PM but the transition has already been made. Who builds the Catchercraft pontoons?