Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

scary afternoon on the river

4K views 48 replies 36 participants last post by  Jmills81 
#1 ·
I'll start off by saying Enlightened is one tough chick!! If I was half as allergic to bees as her, I don't think I'd go outside much. She doesn't even bat an eye when we take backcountry excursions, though after today I'll be re-thinking things.
Yesterday we uneventfully floated twelve miles of uninhabited river we've been dying to explore. Today we were supposed to float another long section of a different river with friends, until they backed out at the last second. As a backup plan, we hit some flats on the Columbia for carp and other warmwaters. We rowed our pontoons out, dropped anchors and tied them off. We started stalking the flats, mimicking the blue herons sharing the shallows. I immediately got into "******* snook", 4-5 pounders that put up impressive fights. We saw carp activity further toward shore, and began targeting those fish. We split up so as not to spook each others fish. I'm not sure how much later in the time vacuum that is sightfishing, but I heard a commotion, and thinking either enlightened fell down or hooked a carp, a looked over my shoulder to see her staring back at me with a look of pure terror on her face. "I just got stung!!". I was there when the doctor told her never to get an hour away from a hospital during bee season. She carries two epi pens just to keep her alive long enough to get her there, if we're close enough. We quickly made our way go the boats and started rowing the three hundred yards back to our vehicle. We were almost back when the first signs of anaphylaxis shock began to show. She usually has a half-hour, but it hadn't been ten minutes!!! Not good! I drug the boats into the bushes, and tossed over a thousand bucks worth of fly gear into the bushes. I loaded her up and hauled ass. Enlightened began puking and going into convulsions as I put the four wheel drive to the test. I knew shit was bad when she croaked "call 911!". I happened to get cell coverage long enough to relay to dispatch go have an ambulance meet me on155 and the circumstances before the call was lost. With emergency flashers blaring I hit speeds of over ninety, passing everything in sight. We met the the ambulance not far from town and performed a super quick chinese firedrill. They rushed Enlightened in and did their thing. I was scared shitless, though being fully warned. I'll be much more cautious in the future about how far in the boondocks we get and where we camp. I couldn't imagine being so deathly allergic to something so common place and have no fear of going into the backcountry. Thank God for epi pens!! Enlightened is fine now and resting, though I know she'll fell like she was hit by a truck tomorrow.
Photo of "******* snook" if you were wondering.
Water Vertebrate Fisherman Fish Lake

See less See more
Reactions: 15130 and flyfool
#34 ·
I was yanking ivy off of the fence in the back yard two days ago when I heard the buzzing. Despite having a long sleeve shirt on one of the little bastards got up my sleeve and gave me two good stings. I flattened his ass and hauled out of the swarm. None followed me thankfully. I'm not allergic but the little stings sure hurt for a while. I slapped some tea tree oil on the stings and they began to calm down 'Tis the season, the traps at the property are full of dead yellow jackets.

I imagine it must have been terrifying to see Enlightened reacting to the sting. I'm glad you kept a cool head and got her to safety. Good Job having her back...!

#36 ·
You never know how you will react in an emergent situation until its too late. Good job keeping a cool head and acting decisively. Not everyone would be so capable. I'm glad as hell that it all worked out in the end.

As I was reading your story I tried to picture my wife in that scenario, perhaps in one of our many trips out in the boat lately, and just the thought turned my stomach. Thanks for sharing and reminding us all to be prepared

#37 ·
Another good thing to have in the fishing daypack is antihistamines. They can save a fishing trip for sure, and can buy some time re anaphylaxis. Loratadine or ceterizine are non sedating and in this situation without an epipen, would be very, very useful and perhaps life saving. Dose 20 mg loratidine right after the sting, you can use the epipen too. Enlightened for sure should have this in her kit. This may also help calm an asthma attack if you don't have a puffer (albuterol). If you have someone allergic to bees the albuterol may also buy you some breathing time...

In wading the yak one time I got into some cat tails that were seeding, turned into a eye swelling, itchy, short of breath nightmare. took the antihistamine, 20 minutes later I was good.

Seriously, put the loratidine/Claritin in the pack, it is a first aid must and at the very least makes mozzie bites a non- issue

G
#38 ·
I checked into it about a month ago after being stung in the garage. I found one:) it is the strangest thing and I will look funny flyfishing, but fish on!!!!!! Im gonna save and buy one. Immunotherapy will begin this year. takes about three years as I understand to stop being allergic. Thanks all! Ya see a gal in a bee suit soon...it will be me;)
Holy Smokes , A bee suit, I see the start of a fashion trend. This most likely going to turn out like the hackle in the hair fad , you won't be able to find a bee suit anywhere soon.

#39 ·
I've had a hard time with this brought up bad memories, my little brother had a small logging operation with a self loader and a crew of 3. He had allergies all his life. They were logging a spot up by Gee point and he starts to choke. He had his kit in the truck but had not told the crew about his condition. He died at 36 years old, keep your epi-pens up to date and let eveyrone know

#40 ·
Wow, Enlightened.

Good for you to seriously think about getting a bee suite.

Anything to keep fishing - I support you. I like your resiliency and drive to fish.

Glay you are ok. One of my wife's former co-workers used to drift the Yak with me. She had an epi pen and made sure I knew how to operate it on the first time I took her down the Yak. Glad she did that, I never knew the severity of the allergy.

#42 ·
Sorry for bringing up bad memories Daryle, but maybe bringing this conversation to the surface can prepare someone faced with this situation if happens to them. Enlightened prepared me since we got together for what could happen, but this is the first time it ever happened. If your brother's crew would have been prepared.... I'm sorry. They are making leap and bounds in technology regarding this issue. Just the other day my sister in law showed me some new -fangled thing they're replacing epi-pens with.
Even after being sent to the ER twice in one month, Enlightened got out on the river today and got into a few fish. The bees were bad near shore, but out far not so bad. View attachment 31237 View attachment 31237

#43 ·
Pic didn't happen. I'll try again.
Water Boat Sky Watercraft Paddle

Told you she was a tough chick!

#48 ·
Glad you're doing fine Enlightened and thanks for sharing the story Triploidjunkie. Some good information posted in this thread. About 6 years ago I got stung by two yellowjackets on my wrist at the same time. My arm swelled from halfway up my fingers to halfway above my elbow. I told my doctor I was worried about what the next sting would do, so he prescribed an epi-pen. I don't always carry it with me and I guess I better start.
Last year I got stung by a bee, but hardly any reaction at all. So maybe it's just yellowjackets that have my number. I'm going to ask by doctor about the immunotherapy the next time I see him.

Thanks for the suggestion of loratadine and cetirizine Wadin' Boot. I do take Claratin for allergies, so I'll just be sure to pack a few extra. I currently bring benadryl with me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.