Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

scary afternoon on the river

4K views 48 replies 36 participants last post by  Jmills81 
#1 ·
I'll start off by saying Enlightened is one tough chick!! If I was half as allergic to bees as her, I don't think I'd go outside much. She doesn't even bat an eye when we take backcountry excursions, though after today I'll be re-thinking things.
Yesterday we uneventfully floated twelve miles of uninhabited river we've been dying to explore. Today we were supposed to float another long section of a different river with friends, until they backed out at the last second. As a backup plan, we hit some flats on the Columbia for carp and other warmwaters. We rowed our pontoons out, dropped anchors and tied them off. We started stalking the flats, mimicking the blue herons sharing the shallows. I immediately got into "******* snook", 4-5 pounders that put up impressive fights. We saw carp activity further toward shore, and began targeting those fish. We split up so as not to spook each others fish. I'm not sure how much later in the time vacuum that is sightfishing, but I heard a commotion, and thinking either enlightened fell down or hooked a carp, a looked over my shoulder to see her staring back at me with a look of pure terror on her face. "I just got stung!!". I was there when the doctor told her never to get an hour away from a hospital during bee season. She carries two epi pens just to keep her alive long enough to get her there, if we're close enough. We quickly made our way go the boats and started rowing the three hundred yards back to our vehicle. We were almost back when the first signs of anaphylaxis shock began to show. She usually has a half-hour, but it hadn't been ten minutes!!! Not good! I drug the boats into the bushes, and tossed over a thousand bucks worth of fly gear into the bushes. I loaded her up and hauled ass. Enlightened began puking and going into convulsions as I put the four wheel drive to the test. I knew shit was bad when she croaked "call 911!". I happened to get cell coverage long enough to relay to dispatch go have an ambulance meet me on155 and the circumstances before the call was lost. With emergency flashers blaring I hit speeds of over ninety, passing everything in sight. We met the the ambulance not far from town and performed a super quick chinese firedrill. They rushed Enlightened in and did their thing. I was scared shitless, though being fully warned. I'll be much more cautious in the future about how far in the boondocks we get and where we camp. I couldn't imagine being so deathly allergic to something so common place and have no fear of going into the backcountry. Thank God for epi pens!! Enlightened is fine now and resting, though I know she'll fell like she was hit by a truck tomorrow.
Photo of "******* snook" if you were wondering.
Water Vertebrate Fisherman Fish Lake

See less See more
Reactions: 15130 and flyfool
#3 ·
a.k.a. Squawfish. The bigger ones fight great! I caught one about 8 or 9 lbs in MT years ago in the late fall, thought I had on a huge brown, until I got it to the surface. My buddy laughed at me, but then again, all he was catching was 9 to 12" cutties.

Glad to hear she's okay. I personally know one person you was "clinically" dead for 3 minutes in the air flight back to the hospital. Not something you mess around with for sure - very frightening for sure. Glad you were there! :eek:

#4 ·
Scary is an understatement. Things happen fast. Really glad things turned out OK and that you were able to stay level headed enough to arrange needed help. I'll be using this post as a wake up call to update my first aid kit and look into some outdoor first aid classes to take with my son.

#10 ·
I couldn't ask for a better parter. I am feeling well now. My pride a little shaken, but all good;) Triploidjunkie always has my back. Why fear the outdoors? Because little flying creatures that create life can kill too? Nah, not this gal. But yesterday reminded me of not limitations, but of awareness. It seems I catch my fish in the winter anyway!;) Summer....not so much.

#20 ·
I was using a carp carrot, Mr.P's go to pattern for carp. I saw big boils in the channels between the mats of sea weed. I cast out and the fish usually would crush the fly the second it hit the water. Aggressive takes right on the surface. The little ones are annoying, the big ones are fun and fight great. Slimy as hell though. I try to just lip em, and shake off the little ones. I only dubbed them ******* snook because we went to the Newport Aquarium recently and was struck by how similar the small snooks looked like pikeminnow.
Water Vertebrate Fisherman Fish Lake
Water Sky Public utility Twig Fishing rod

#16 ·
Why not carry at least one epi pen in your fishing vest, or elsewhere on your person?

And perhaps most important:rolleyes:: did you recover your gear?

#18 ·
I'm also grateful that things are turning out well. TJ, good job getting her out and to help. Hope E can stay away from the critters in the future without sacrificing outdoor time. Wonder if there's bee-proof clothing out there that won't make you look like you're on a honey gathering expedition? Maybe better, have you looked into how this stuff works on bees?

http://www.rei.com/product/768970/sawyer-permethrin-pump-spray-24-oz

Reactions: enlightened
#25 ·
I'm also grateful that things are turning out well. TJ, good job getting her out and to help. Hope E can stay away from the critters in the future without sacrificing outdoor time. Wonder if there's bee-proof clothing out there that won't make you look like you're on a honey gathering expedition? Maybe better, have you looked into how this stuff works on bees?
It
http://www.rei.com/product/768970/sawyer-permethrin-pump-spray-24-oz
I checked into it about a month ago after being stung in the garage. I found one:) it is the strangest thing and I will look funny flyfishing, but fish on!!!!!! Im gonna save and buy one. Immunotherapy will begin this year. takes about three years as I understand to stop being allergic. Thanks all! Ya see a gal in a bee suit soon...it will be me;)

#19 ·
We only used the epi once early on, she was scared two would give her a heart attack. Only after she was home from the ER about three hours later, and was sleeping on the couch, did I go back for the gear. A little thunderstorm hit that area and I half expected the pontoons to be blown away. But everything was where I left it. Even the cooler full of ice cold beer was where I left it, in plain sight. Someone was down there when I returned, but didn't go near my stuff.

#21 ·
Wow. Glad you are ok Enlightened. Makes me be ware. I have some allergy that I haven't pinned down yet and guess I better get an Epipen. My latest doctor suggested I talk to my regular doc about that. I had a reaction 2 falls ago in Idaho where I couldn't exhale easily one evening. It was scary stuff. This reminds me to get checked out and get the prescription. Glad you are doing well.

#24 ·
Wow. Glad you are ok Enlightened. Makes me be ware. I have some allergy that I haven't pinned down yet and guess I better get an Epipen. My latest doctor suggested I talk to my regular doc about that. I had a reaction 2 falls ago in Idaho where I couldn't exhale easily one evening. It was scary stuff. This reminds me to get checked out and get the prescription. Glad you are doing well.
Larry,
Go get the tests done to positively educate yourself what it is you're allergic to. Not knowing can be deadly.
Good to hear you're okay Enlightened.
I was getting my aluminum boat ready to go humpy fishing the other day and didn't realize the wasps had taken up residence under the boat cover. Only got stung once by them and luckily I'm not allergic. Just getting stung is bad enough!

#23 ·
I am glad as heck that it turned out "it's all good". That was a close one, you guys. I'd say that it brings meaning to the words "respect mother nature".
I don't know you guys, but I really enjoy reading your posts and reports. I hope to meet up with you on the water some day. Getting your gear and beer back is a bonus :). It coulda been a lot worse.

#27 ·
Cutter... Off.... whatever, some kind'a DEET. I use a product I bought at an army surplus store that indicates nothing but "Deet" on the bottle. Works quite well. Most likely one of the major bug repellent companies makes the stuff but who knows who?

As far as the bee suit goes, you may start a fashion trend and fly anglers will start wearing the things... I can remember when neoprene waders first showed up and everyone thought they looked weird as hell (but they ended up buying them just the same). :)

#29 ·
Have you considered getting a ham radio for emergency use? You cannot use one without a license, but it's legal to use in genuine emergencies when lives are at stake. I've got my license and really enjoy the hobby aspect of it, but I value the fact that I can use it where cell phone use isn't an option.

If you have a handheld programmed for the local repeater, a quick mayday call will likely get responders ready to call 911 on your behalf very quickly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.