Scent and Steelhead

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by wet line, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Jim Kerr

Jim Kerr Active Member

I'm with chad on this, I think scent is important, no, not like putting smelly jelly on flies, but paying attention to what is on your hands when you are handeling or tying flies. I have watched steelhead aproach a fly aggresivly only to turn away at the last second and bolt like they were stung by a hornet. I have seen this many times, and think in at least some of the cases it has to do with scent. Who knows whats good or bad, for instance, why would a steelhead be afraid of human scent, or bear scent more or less than the scent of say oranges or axle greese. I mean the average native steelhead has never had much opertunity to smell any of these things when he first returns to the river.....I try to be sure there are no strong smells on my hands when I am fishing or tying, food smells, coffee, cheetoes...
    Who knows
    JIm

2. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

The first steelhead I caught on a fly many years ago took a hairwing wet tied with hair from our dog. And of course with that kind of positive reinforcement many more were tied and used successfully. One of the dogs we own now, (part Belgian Sheepdog) has the longest straightest black hair you'll ever see and boy does it make beautiful streamers...that catch fish!

We recently aquired a small black poodle. I'm thinking...dubbing...:thumb:

Our rivers are full of human scent, especially when fishing for summer-runs. I have hooked steelhead immediatly before and after flotillas of tubers and downstream of people swimming in the river. I think they get used to the smell and just consider it a part of their environment. Essentially, they just don't know any better.

3. Phil Fravel

Phil Fravel Friendly

My sent naturally keeps steelhead away.

4. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:

MY GOD!!!:eek:

HE'S ALIVE!!!!!:beer2:

5. mr trout

mr trout Trevor Hutton

Back in my bait fishing days as a youngin', I used to spray wd40 on my power-bait then dipin in garlic powder...it worked really well, I must say. In the bright beams of hindsight, I think it is best that I changed my ways.

6. Monk

Monk Redneck

We used to spray the herring plugs when the kings in petersburg got too tight lipped. Worked great. Probably not the best thing for the environment, but we were running twin 250's on that stretch and it was pretty moot at that point.

7. Porter

Porter Active Member

I don't scent my flies.....I dress them up in animal hair and glitter sometimes and let their natural phermones erupt. Nut or Sack cheese as was referred to...correct me if not wrong but I do believe that is the no.1 selling Cougar Gold cheese.

8. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Home Page:
    One little thing I learned to do, is to grab a handful of sand or mud from the river and wash, or kinda' scrub my hands and rinse in the river, before tying on a fly.
    Sometimes I remember to do it, sometimes not, but if I'm having a difficult time getting any strikes, where I know there are fish, I'll stop and do it then tie on a new fly. Sometimes it has helped, I guess.
    But mostly I don't think a fish has the time or intellegence to know if a particular odor is actually coming off a fly or not. There being so many sources for unsual odors, like getting something on the felts of your boots walking to the river. Anyone ever spit in the water your fishing?

LB

9. Davy

Davy Active Member

I always try to spit in the others guys water but definently not in mine.
    Now if one really really wants some extra scent on his/her flies just open up your boxes and leave them in Monks car overnight. Schmittie Flies !!!!!

10. Rob Zelk

Rob Zelk I swing, therefore i am.

The way I tie flies, I don't need scent :cool: J/k. If I'm fishing streamers or for carp, I like to rub them in the mud/dirt of the river/ lake just to negate the human horomone scent. I think its more of just a thing to ease my mind a little; I'm not sure if it makes a difference.

11. mr trout

mr trout Trevor Hutton

It has already been said, but fish do use olfactory functions quite well. Here are the lecture notes from one of my classes with some references to really cool studies by Arthur Hasler on imprinting scents into coho, and Pohlmann's study on the ability of fish to track prey using olfactory cues.

Here's the link:
    http://www.fish.washington.edu/classes/fish210/html/FISH210_Lecture.htm

Go to lecture 18 and open up the powerpoint file if you're interested.

12. lastcall

lastcall Member

I was recently told never to pick up, peel or eat bananas when fishing for salmon or steelhead. The scent will really drive the fish away.

Lastcall

13. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Quit trying to start something. Banana's are good for you.

Jim

14. Porter

Porter Active Member

Good for you...but not good for you when fishing.....proven FF scientific fact.