Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

School me on truck buying: Crew cab pickups

NFR 
4K views 57 replies 33 participants last post by  Jim F. 
#1 ·
Alright WFF hive brain, I could use your input on this one.

Looking to trade in my 2005 Outback on a used, late model, low mileage crew cab rig. Wants: 4x4, true crew cab configuration (not double cab) and a 6.5’ bed. Brand doesn’t really factor in. Been doing some research and it looks like Ford, Chevy, Ram, and Toyota are all making a good product. This rig will be a family hauler but also used for truck purposes like towing and moving stuff.

Anyone have feedback on Ram’s new line? The 8 speed automatics sound good. Don’t need a HEMI but it looks like the newer ones have an 8 speed V6 option. Downside: I’ll have to make a trip down south of Yakima to drive one.

I have access to a Crew Max Tundra at work and it’s nice to drive but the shorty bed length won’t work.

Found a 2013 F-150 SuperCrew with the 5.0 V8 and low miles priced right at Kelly BB. Took it for a test drive and it seems fine. Anything to look out for on F-150’s?

And finally, is KBB pricing a good gauge for value? Do I have any leverage for bargaining down on price?

See less See more
#3 ·
Dodge seems to want to blow up transmissions: my dad went through 3 of them. Personally, I love the look of a big Dodge Ram, but not with the transmission problems I've read and seen it has. Ford would probably be my choice if I were to buy domestic, but we've had 4 Toyotas in our family, with never an issue. If I wanted a bigger truck than my Tacoma, I'd get a Tundra.

#8 ·
Curious, why buy used? With financing as low as it is, it is basically free money.

Dealers would much rather rape you with a used than sell new. Plus when buying new the consumer has all the power and can shop all over comparing apples to apples.

I paid $32k for my '14 Tundra. I think the sticker was $37k or somewhere around that. Might be worth shopping...

#11 ·
'Pocket, your opening statement is bang on-they are all good rigs and despite the clatter from the Fan Boyz it is difficult to buy a bad truck nowadays. The biggest problem I see with the new trucks is the shameless attempt on the part of dealers and manufacturers to bulk up the transaction price. I think the average price for a new truck this year is around $43,000. That means the price of late model used rigs will be correspondingly high. The only way around this inflation is to order a new rig with only the equipment you need and not accept all of the useless expensive crap they tell you you need. Very few guys actually do that, more likely they go to a dealers lot, get hypnotized and dazzled and say breathlessly: "I'll take the red one with the ghetto wheels!"

I have and fish with, friends that have late model Fords and Chevys that are extremely happy with them and have very,very few problems. Last year I sold my 20 year old Ram 1500 that was almost flawless for all those years and ordered a new 2014 Ram 1500 that was as close to the old one as it was possible to build it. I ordered the basic work truck with the DOHC V-6 and the standard 8 speed transmission and optioned it with everything I thought a pickup should have and nothing that I would expect on a luxury car. Four wheel drive, a lower rear axle ratio for here in the mountains, limited slip rear axle, Load Range E tires for the gravel roads, backup camera for loading the trailer, power windows, locks and tailgate for convenience, deluxe interior package, satellite radio (I won't leave home without it!) chrome grill and bumpers, Class IV receiver, alloy wheels, 8' bed and some things I have probably forgotten. The out the door price for all this goodness? $25,506-nearly the same or a little less than you will pay for a late model used rig in good condition.

The 305hp 6 cylinder is far more than adequate for towing up to around 7,000#, I tow about 500# normally. I have made at least 10 trips over Washington's highest highway pass in the last 18 months and there is a gear for every grade, the transmission-the same one used in European luxury cars for a decade-is simply flawless. Although I can select any gear I want with the press of a button I seldom do because the tranny is just much smarter than I am. With the big tires and lower axle ratio I am still averaging almost 20 miles per gallon and everything over here is uphill it seems.

So yeah, it is possible to beat the scheme to trick you out of your precious cash and buy just what you need. Few of us do but we are handsomely rewarded for our efforts. Just remember, there is probably more profit for the dealer in a used car than a new one plus your choice will be severly limited.

Good luck shopping and have fun. Be prepared to meet some serious sleaze balls and a few really good honest guys.

Ive

#12 ·
'Pocket, your opening statement is bang on-they are all good rigs and despite the clatter from the Fan Boyz it is difficult to buy a bad truck nowadays. The biggest problem I see with the new trucks is the shameless attempt on the part of dealers and manufacturers to bulk up the transaction price. I think the average price for a new truck this year is around $43,000. That means the price of late model used rigs will be correspondingly high. The only way around this inflation is to order a new rig with only the equipment you need and not accept all of the useless expensive crap they tell you you need. Very few guys actually do that, more likely they go to a dealers lot, get hypnotized and dazzled and say breathlessly: "I'll take the red one with the ghetto wheels!"

I have and fish with, friends that have late model Fords and Chevys that are extremely happy with them and have very,very few problems. Last year I sold my 20 year old Ram 1500 that was almost flawless for all those years and ordered a new 2014 Ram 1500 that was as close to the old one as it was possible to build it. I ordered the basic work truck with the DOHC V-6 and the standard 8 speed transmission and optioned it with everything I thought a pickup should have and nothing that I would expect on a luxury car. Four wheel drive, a lower rear axle ratio for here in the mountains, limited slip rear axle, Load Range E tires for the gravel roads, backup camera for loading the trailer, power windows, locks and tailgate for convenience, deluxe interior package, satellite radio (I won't leave home without it!) chrome grill and bumpers, Class IV receiver, alloy wheels, 8' bed and some things I have probably forgotten. The out the door price for all this goodness? $25,506-nearly the same or a little less than you will pay for a late model used rig in good condition.

The 305hp 6 cylinder is far more than adequate for towing up to around 7,000#, I tow about 500# normally. I have made at least 10 trips over Washington's highest highway pass in the last 18 months and there is a gear for every grade, the transmission-the same one used in European luxury cars for a decade-is simply flawless. Although I can select any gear I want with the press of a button I seldom do because the tranny is just much smarter than I am. With the big tires and lower axle ratio I am still averaging almost 20 miles per gallon and everything over here is uphill it seems.

So yeah, it is possible to beat the scheme to trick you out of your precious cash and buy just what you need. Few of us do but we are handsomely rewarded for our efforts. Just remember, there is probably more profit for the dealer in a used car than a new one plus your choice will be severly limited.

Good luck shopping and have fun. Be prepared to meet some serious sleaze balls and a few really good honest guys.

Ive
Thanks for the straight dope! Sounds like if I decide to go the used route, I'll need to look for a sale/promotion to get a decent deal.

I'll be looking into the factory order route. What was the delivery time on your rig?

#14 ·
I also have a '14, V6 Ram with the tow package. Just finished an 870 mile trip pulling 4,000lbs up an down desert/mountain roads and averaged 16.6mpg at speeds up to 75mph.
This summer, leisurely sailing across the beautiful Navajo reservation in Arizona, for a short time I was averaging an amazing 29.1mpg at 60-65mph. (truck only, no trailer)
If you can live without the crew cab, it will save you $10,000.

#15 ·
I also have a '14, V6 Ram with the tow package. Just finished an 870 mile trip pulling 4,000lbs up an down desert/mountain roads and averaged 16.6mpg at speeds up to 75mph.
This summer, leisurely sailing across the beautiful Navajo reservation in Arizona, for a short time I was averaging an amazing 29.1mpg at 60-65mph. (truck only, no trailer)
If you can live without the crew cab, it will save you $10,000.
Good info. Crew cab is a REQUIREMENT on this purchase. Need to make a move in the right direction before a minivan re-enters the conversation :D

#22 ·
Keep the outback.....buy a trailer.
Save the big cash for something u will use more than 10 days a year.

I haul my boat with a Subaru. I use a trailer for trips when needed, which is very random.
I haven't seen a trailer with child seats. And congratulations if you've produced children that actually fit in the back seat of a 2005 Outback. Mine don't.;)

#19 ·
I agree with Ive. The big 4 are close to the same. I could suggest Ford. My last three trucks have all been Ford F150 extended cab 4x4 trucks. I have put over 500,000 mile on the three with just over 100,000 on the third one. I could likely say the same if I were driving any of the big four. If you have the time to shop (several months) you can find good deals on used trucks. My last purchase was for a truck less than a year old, had under 7000 miles on it, still under warranty and I paid under 20 grand for it. This was a 35 thousand dollar truck. I had to "look" for several months to find it.

#20 ·
I am actually surprised there are not 10000 responses to the OP on trucks. This is one of those threads where everybody can have an opinion and in addition there is much "prejudice" like "I would never buy a Chevy, or Dodge trucks suck", etc. However, in my exaulted and greatly respected opinion (why just yesterday several princes an potentates asked what I thought) is to buy what you like and can afford. Personally, I have a Tacoma and the only maintenance it has had is oil changes, but I am sure others will differ

#23 ·
I just went through this a few months ago when I decided to get a new truck...settled on a 2015 Dodge Ram Ecodiesel 1500 with the crew cab.

It rides like a limousine--haven't tested the 4x4 or towing capacity much, but they aren't my primary needs. I needed a crew cab truck that got decent fuel mileage. It was the only one that fit the bill. My best trip mileage is 31mpg average on a 600 mile trip. That's pretty damn solid for a big rig. It rides quiet and smooth, quite a big difference from my 96 f150.

The prices are scary when you look at new trucks, but if you use sites like truecar.com you can get a feel for what discounts most dealers are offering, average invoice price etc...Most trucks don't sell anywhere near their sticker price. Do your research on price, know what you want for your trade-in, and stick to it. Never be afraid to walk away from the bargaining table.

#44 ·
I'm going to be in the market for a new truck this year and this is one I was looking at. I'm curious what you paid for it? No worries if you'd rather not divulge. I'm leaning toward a Tundra Crew Max, but the Dodge is right up there.

#24 ·
Hold your hate for the minivans. If you haven't owned a late model with nearly 300 hp you don't know what the hell you are talking about and are just parroting someone else's opinion. They are marvelous vehicles and do their designed job probably better than any other vehicle. Part pickup, part limosine, part camper and part luxury car they receive a bad rap mostly from automotive writers who seem determined to compare them to BMW sedans. People who own them love their utility and buy them over and over because they have no equal for usefulness.

I don't intend to ever be without one. Sedans are just about useless for carrying anything, SUV's have about half the capacity of a minivan, cost a lot more and get worse mileage and Cute Utes and crossovers are just awd sedans with a bustle. Somehow people have been tricked into believing that cute utes, crossovers and SUV's are not station wagons. They are.

For people with children to load and unload and all of their paraphenalia , elderly parents, groceries to bring home or long road trip vacations they simply have no peer. Don't knock 'em if you haven't tried 'em. Ther're greatttt!

#26 ·
troutpocket, apart from that Subie 05 outback not housing your kids legs well, it doesn't happen to use a shitload of oil AND burn out lightbulbs like crazy does it? Thinking of getting rid of mine also, 59k on an 05, oil changed at 56k, all maintenance done, oil light came on last week at 59k, dipstick dry and no change in engine temp....four quarts new oil in....

#30 ·
I would have to go Ford. Tough , low maintenance, an American icon... I'll never consider a Gm or Chrysler ever again, if for no other reason than principles. Little bailout bitches:mad:

Reactions: jake-e-boy
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.