Scuds or fresh water shrimp

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Alaskan, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Alaskan

Alaskan Active Member

Ok so my home water is lake Spokane aka Long Lake and I have been fishing it in the winter for trout for the past five years. The trout really like stripped flies from buggers to bigger bait fish patterns later in the spring and early fall. There are massive chronimid hatches in the spring and summer but I have caught very few fish on them. In the dead of winter a small bugger or micro-leach under a bobber will produce very nicely an I always put a dropper off of the bugger that is some small wet fly and they account for a couple fish per day. Well the other morning I was rigging my rod and decided to put on a small gray scud that had been ridding around on the dash of my pickup since a rocky ford trip last Feb. that thing has been just killing it the last two times I have been out I have caught well over 30 trout on it, and the strikes are so crazy vicious that I have almost lost my rod overboard twice. My question is could there be scuds in a lake that big and warm? Or are there fresh water shrimp? Or does the scud just remind them of the good old days of trout chow back at the hatchery??

Jim Ficklin and Greg Armstrong like this.
  2. CrawBugger

CrawBugger New Member

My bet is there is a healthy population of scuds in the lake. The best way to find out would be to throat pump one of the fish you catch. Then you'll have an honest representative of what's in the lake. Anyway it sounds like you've hit the hot pattern.

3. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

4. Alaskan

Alaskan Active Member

That’s what so crazy when we pump them they only have small chronimids or in the late winter snails in them. But they are footballs and healthy.

5. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

Any chance that they could be taking it as a snail imitation?

6. Alaskan

Alaskan Active Member

I am not sure but fished last night for about an hour and a half and caught 17, none took the scud?? Caught all on the leach. It was dead calm so no action on the bobber I caught all stripping the leach.

Old406Kid likes this.
  7. Alaskan

Alaskan Active Member

Alright finally got the courage to pump one of the trout. I slipped it a mickey first so it probably won’t remember much. At least that would be admissible in court. Nothing but super tiny little bugs (think size fricking 60) and some rocks (no b.s.)

8. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Could the rocks mixed in with the daphnia actually have been small snail shells?
    SF

9. Alaskan

Alaskan Active Member

Not unless they morphed into rocks. I’m stupid but not blind. Think rocks like a size six to ten.

aimacart likes this.
  10. Alaskan

Alaskan Active Member

I have cleaned smallmouth bass from my lake that had rocks mixed with crayfish in their guts. I guess just a byproduct of no hands and eating your dinners moving on the bottom of the lake.

jamma and Old406Kid like this.
  11. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

To study the life and times of trout living in a small creek, OSU has a sub terrain facility close to town with a viewing window to watch the bugs and fish in a section of the creek.

It has been noted that the trout will hold in a feeding zone and from time to time, swim over and mouth small bits of debris floating downstream and then spit it out when they discover it is not edible.

When I had an aquarium with goldfish, I noticed they did the same thing. The fish would cruise the gravel bottom and indiscriminately suck up gravel and then spit it out when they discovered it wasn't food. This explained the strange "tink, tink, tink" sound we'd hear from the aquarium... the goldfish were picking up gravel and spitting it out so it hit the glass and we heard the results of the action. tink. tink. tink.

So, sometimes I think our flies are effective only because a fish has decided to try it and not because it really looks like something they normally eat. However, if you are catching a number of fish with the pattern, it is more likely they group does believe it represents something edible... to them.

Considering the huge number of lures, baits and artificial flies that catch fish and at least to use, they don't look like something a fish should eat, it is almost impossible to determine just what the hell the fish believe they are eating.

Frankly, Scarlet, I don't give a damn ... if it's working I'm not going to reverse engineer the reason for success... :D

(BTW: as far as the scuds go.. they are found where you find them... the lake could indeed hold scuds)

NW_flyfisher and CrawBugger like this.
  12. jamma

jamma Active Member

Speaking of eating habits,I have witnessed RF trout grabbing a mouthful of weeds and stripping everything off,scuds,leaves and all.Shrimp salad!

troutpocket and Buzzy like this.
  13. Buzzy

Buzzy Active Member

Sometimes you see a big mat of weeds floating downstream pitch your leader over the top of it so the scud is hanging down into the floating mass or edge of the mass....... sometimes it works.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    troutpocket likes this.
  14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I was fishing the Beaverhead one spring day, and not having much luck. As I was leaving I happened to talk to another Fly Fisher and he told me he was using a stomach pump. He was getting 1/4 inch long pieces of reed that the fish were eating. He told me that their stomach's were full of those reeds. I should of been using a dark green Scud.