Sculpins

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by GAT, Jan 8, 2013.

1. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

sculpins are great things to use as your heavy nymph in front of a mayfly or something... I'vee hooked some of the biggest fish I've seen in the lower 48 nymphing sculpins

2. pittendrigh

pittendrigh Active Member

Home Page:
    The daily bag limit in MT is five fish per person per day. I probably kill 6 or 8 fish per year. Almost always for ritual breakfast on river camping trips. I never kill or eat a big fish. I know it's dangerous to talk about eating trout in polite fly fishing society. But I don't think it hurts to whack a few small browns each year. Browns almost always have the remains of a sculpin in their stomachs. Or a crayfish. And then the usual bug soup too. But they sure do like those sculpins. The stomach tells no lies.

Rainbow followup: I do whack a fair number of stocked rainbows on various reservoirs. On Canyon Ferry Reservoir in Montana you occasionally catch a native rainbow. There is some spawning in a few creeks up near Tosten MT. I always throw the natives back. But feeling obligated to return stockers is silly. I get most of them smoked. They average 18" to 20" long. And fat as a house. There are billions of crayfish in Canyon Ferry. The loons eat them non-stop all summer long. But the (stocked) rainbows seldom have crayfish in their bellies. In fact I've never seen it. They seem to survive on the occasional small minnow, and on a gooey soup of nearly microscopic zoo plankton.

I don't know much about native river run rainbow stomachs. Because I always put them back. They're too easy to catch. But I do have a different attitude about small pan sized browns. The frequency of brown trout stomachs that contain sculpins goes beyond common. They are the majority.

3. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

While the sculpins in my Aquarium didn't move much, I'm sure that in the wild they must move around in search of food... besides, if trout can manage to eat crawdads (which also hang out on the bottom of the fishery) then sculpins must be an available food source.

At least, that's why I'm tying sculpin patterns to try in stillwaters. I'll let you know how they work in a few months. If they don't work, I'm writing a nasty e-mail to Hareline for selling the Sculpin Helmets :)

Seriously, I'm fishing buddies with some of the guys at Hareline and they've told me the product works great for imitating sculpins... we'll see.

4. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    I've used sculpin patterns in the local rivers and for saltwater beach fishing, and they have worked out just fine in those environments. Haven't really fished 'em much in lakes, but I'll bet they'd work in any stillwater that has sculpins living in it.
    I'm set up to tie the Wounded Sculpin, which looks like a relatively simple sculpin pattern. Those helmets do look like they'd make for an easy tie, though.
    If I got some, I'd try to copy Roger Stephens' tube versions. I like the looks of those.

5. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Saw this on FB and thought I'd share. I believe it's tied by a Brian Furderer.

[​IMG]

Recipe:
    Rear Hook: TMC 9395 size 2
    Thread: Olive 140 Denier
    Tail: Olive Zonker Strip Barred and Pearl Flashabou
    ... Body: Medium Olive Ice Chenille
    Hackle: Olive Hen Saddle
    Wing: Olive Zonker Strip Barred
    Legs: Olive Silly Legs

Hook Junction: 30# Test Fireline w/ two Medium Root Beer Killer Caddis Beads

Front Hook: TMC 9395 size 2
    Tail: Olive Zonker Strip Barred and Pearl Flashabou
    Body: Medium Olive Ice Chenille
    Hackle: Olive Hen Saddle
    Wing: Olive Zonker Strip Barred
    Legs: Olive Silly Legs
    Collar: Olive Deer Belly Hair
    Head: Large Olive Sculpin Helmet

6. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Hmmmm.... think I'll add some rubber legs to my pattern.

7. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Well... I guess I'm kind'a partial to the ratty look. I hope the trout are.

IMG_0865.jpg

Mark Mercer and constructeur like this.
  8. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

That looks killer Gene.

9. Bradley Miller

Bradley Miller Dances with fish

Thats a cool looking pattern. I had some salt water sculpins in an aquarium or two back in the day; they are cool little fish and rather hard to catch. But they seem to hang out where searuns like to lurk, so I like to keep one or two in my box. Nice thread.

10. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

P4110283.JPG heres one

GAT likes this.
  11. pittendrigh

pittendrigh Active Member

Home Page:
    I published this one--the Knucklhead Sculpin--in Fly Tyer back in the mid 1980s, as part of a "Fast Sinking Steamers" piece. It's similar to contemporary scull head versions. The head is lead wire squashed with pliers, soaked in CA glue and then covered with floss (and then more glue). The other fly in that piece was called the Sockeye Shiner. I still make them both. The Knucklehead hasn't changed much. But the Sockeye Shiner has morphed considerably since then.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. fishtooth

fishtooth New Member

wow great patterns everyone!!!