Sea Eagle 285

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Other Fisherguy, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Other Fisherguy

Other Fisherguy Member

Anyone used one? My bud's thnking of getting one for the lakes, opinions?
    Thanks

2. Other Fisherguy

Other Fisherguy Member

... anyone, no one know anything about them?

3. PT

PT Physhicist

Not familiar with the boat but neighbor has a different SE and really likes it. From the pics, it looks nice. Not sure if the floor is removable for using fins but maybe your friend doesn't fish that way. Price is good and they offer a return policy that can't be beat. Use it for 180 days and if you don't like it send it back. Go for it.

4. Other Fisherguy

Other Fisherguy Member

Thanks PT, my buds getting one, we'll see how it works out.
    Will

5. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    I look forward to a review. I saw them at the Sportsmen's Show last weekend. Cool boats, but very narrow. I want to know how easy they are to stand up on. No fin work, but oars and a motor mount. Basically a little inflatable boat.
    I agree price is great and policy.

6. Other Fisherguy

Other Fisherguy Member

We're you up here Blue or was there a show down there too?
    Noticed Scadden wasn't at our show this year.

7. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    I don't know why NFO wasn't there. No I wasn't there. It was the Utah Sportsmen's show. Right as you walked in, those boats were right there. Look forward to a hands on review!

8. tyeoneon

tyeoneon Active Member

I've got one. Had it for 5 years so far. If you go on their web site, they have a video of it being beaten with a claw hammer. It's really that strong of a fabric. I've got the hard floor and the swivel seat option, as well as the wheels for pulling the boat to the water. It's a very sturdy boat, and, like anything out there, it gets a little buffeted in windy conditions. I've got 2 five pound pyramid anchors that I use when still fishing. I'm not one to stand up in a boat this small, but this one is really stable and tough to tip. I wish it had a hole in the floor for finning. I suppose that you could cut one, if you wanted. 6 foot oars and the entire thing sets up in about five minutes. When done, it folds up in to a 4' by 3' space for storage. About the only thing I'd trade it for would be an Outcast Stealth Pro or an NFO Renegade.

Milanmark, FinLuver and Blue like this.
  9. c1eddy

c1eddy Active Member

Been curious about these. How's the 285 working out for your buddy?

10. Other Fisherguy

Other Fisherguy Member

He only used it once last year, he stood up in it, I rowed around a bit in it and didn't want to try standing in it.
    I think he likes it but I'd ant to be able to kick around while working the lines.

11. baydancer

baydancer New Member

I like most things I've read about the 285 except for being able to fin kick which I think is invaluable when pulling a fly. From the responses it sounds like it can't be done without perhaps drilling a hole in the floor. My thought was could the floor be removed and just sit on the inflatable seat would you then be able to reach the water with fins? I would even be willing to modify the floor to enable using fins. I hope someone can share any solutions they've come up with this as this is the only issue holding me back from buying the 285,.
    Also has anyone returned a boat under the 180 day return policy and how did that work out for them. Thanks.

12. Other Fisherguy

Other Fisherguy Member

I think you may as well get a Watermaster or Scadden Assault. Cutting the floor would mean the whole inside of the boat would be full of water, your tackle bag, lunch or whatever else you have in the boat would be wet.
    My bud used his once last year and hasn't used it at all this year so far. I did see a couple guys with them on our last trip, they had electrics on them and seemed to like them, they anchored and were casting and could stand up in them, for that I think they're good but if you want to troll or kick around working a fly line while you kick along it's not going to work for you, you'd only be able to row or use an electric.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  13. baydancer

baydancer New Member

Thanks Other Fisherguy. My main method of fishing is working a fly line while kicking so your reply makes sense to me. Besides Water Master I've been looking at Water Strider and Scadden's Renegade. I do need to be able to attach an electric to be able to go up current in the saltwater bays here in So Cal. So that will be one my main considerations. I've tried Scadden's Rampage but didn't like the inflated seat and backrest - felt like I was slipping off the seat.
    Any recommendations are welcome.

14. Other Fisherguy

Other Fisherguy Member

I have a Renegade, pretty comfortable I though, if you have the chance try the Rampage again but let some air out of the seat. I do wish there was a way to attach a hard seat, the kayak seat straps seem to always slip, I keep having to tighten them during the day for any kinda back support.
    the 5ft oars are not great either, took me a half hour to reach the other end of the lake compared to my bud in a framed pontoon. I got some 2 pce 7 ft outcast oars, going to shorten them to 6.5 ft and try that. I can't justify the 500 US for the composite oars, I only use the Renegade a handful of times in a year.

15. Milanmark

Milanmark Member

I bought a Renegade last year and limited use but loved it over my kayak for fishing. Hated the seat so I bought a frame that Dave modifies for it that has a hard seat and real oarlocks. Got the frame late in the year so no chance to get it out and this year I bought a new Alumnacraft Escape 145 so that kept me busy rigging that! About ready to tackle it again and want to get the frame on and the seat will be better for sure. Also have some fins to try out... I do have the composite oars and hoping I like them, the five footers suck! So much to do so little time!