Sea-run Cutt Report

John B

just tryin' to keep the skunk off
I worked a cold, sunny and quiet beach this morning in the extreme South Sound and ended up with three cutties to hand. There was quite a bit of surface activity and strikes up until the slack low tide, so it made the 30 degrees and numb fingers totally worth it.

This was the first time I've been able to snap some pictures while carefully handling my fish, so here are those three lucky fellows that went after my Knudsen spider. Unfortunately, in the commotion of trying to take a picture one-handed, I hit a button on the camera which changed the settings on the last two shots, making the quality not very great. But the first (and biggest) cuttie shows up well enough.

Anyway, these guys are definitely out there and in abundance in certain spots, so go find 'em!

-john

Right on, Larry. Let's do it. I can't ever get enough cool sculpin patterns. PM me if you want to hook up with my crew and we can wreck some havoc on the cutts. Jeff
You and dryflylarry should get in on the SRC salt fly swap going on right now. Both of your patterns sound like great additions to the list.

John B

Found some more south sound cutties yesterday. I brought in a 14" guy right off the bat, then proceeded to lose two more as I was getting them to hand.

I was just about to call it quits and go eat my cold pizza for lunch when I saw a roll off to my right. I had just massacred my last clouser on the beach rocks, so I tied on a new fly as quick as I could. The very first cast hooked my up with the biggest fish I have ever caught (18"+).

It was a good day.

Verrry nice Fish John.

It doesn't look to have any parasites on it, but way too fat and healthy to be an early post spawner; almost no spawning colors, just slight tinge of yellow. By this summer it will be as wide as a salmon, and wiser for the lesson you gave 'em. Good job on the "one last cast" fish. :thumb: I would call it a day after a fish like that as you're simply not going to do any better and a good note to end the day on.

Found some more south sound cutties yesterday. I brought in a 14" guy right off the bat, then proceeded to lose two more as I was getting them to hand.

I was just about to call it quits and go eat my cold pizza for lunch when I saw a roll off to my right. I had just massacred my last clouser on the beach rocks, so I tied on a new fly as quick as I could. The very first cast hooked my up with the biggest fish I have ever caught (18"+).

It was a good day.
What is that rod that you have in the picture...it looks dated. ;)

John B

The glass rod, Pflueger & spider are nice, classic touches too!
The "classic" aesthetic isn't due to any sentimental appreciation for antique gear, but is more out of necessity... not enough dough to upgrade at the moment. I took up fly fishing a few months ago due to the mixed blessing of an extended unemployment. The rod and reel belonged to my dad and had been stashed away in the garage for years, but are still totally functional.

So the equipment definitely catches fish, but I have to say that I'm pretty anxious to see what a graphite rod will do for my casting distance!
-John

The "classic" aesthetic isn't due to any sentimental appreciation for antique gear, but is more out of necessity... not enough dough to upgrade at the moment. I took up fly fishing a few months ago due to the mixed blessing of an extended unemployment. The rod and reel belonged to my dad and had been stashed away in the garage for years, but are still totally functional.

So the equipment definitely catches fish, but I have to say that I'm pretty anxious to see what a graphite rod will do for my casting distance!
-John
Looks like you're casting far enough already!
:thumb:
JonB