Sea Run Cutthroat Hooks

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jack Devlin, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

Is there a difference in hook strength between stainless and plated after 30 days? Do you have access to a microscope?

I will always separate used flies into a quarantined container, wash them throughly in tap water, and let them dry prior to returning to fly box. Never place a fly that's been in the salt back to the fly box. It will contaminate every other fly and eventually cause some degree of corrosion that although might not be visible could compromise hook. And of course wash out real, waders and anything else in contact with the salt which I'm sure everyone does.

Richard Torres likes this.
  2. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

Jan 1, 2013. I took a look at my "unscientific" hook experiment today. After almost six months immersed in frequently freshened saltwater, the bronze hook, while still in one piece, shows obvious signs of corrosion and loss of metal. Structurally, it is unusable and probably can be broken by hand at this point. The tinned/plated hook is still structurally sound with only the beginning of corrosion in the eye area. Still a usable hook. The stainless steel hook shows no signs of degradation at all. I did this littleexperiment to satisfy some of my own curiosity and so that I may have a reasonably intelligent retort when someone tells me a hook will dissolve in the salt in no time.
    File in the for whatever its worth column.
    Jack DSC00754.JPG

3. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Jack,
    While your experiment was unscientific, I appreciate you posting the results. It might help some folks decide what type of hooks they want to tie with.
    SF

4. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Jack-

Nathan Keen, former owner of Avid Angler and a great flatwing tier turned me onto using Gamakatsu SL45 bonefish hooks for SRC flat wings. They are black, have a heavy wire, slightly long shank and come in small sizes down to a #10. I really like the #8 for miniceivers and 2-3 feather flat wings.

http://www.gamakatsu.com/fishing-hooks.php?pid=1220

Jackd likes this.
  5. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

Thanks. I think that SL45 might be the ticket. I've been using the SC15's and hadn't thought of looking for an alternative.
    They are a bit short, but I like the fine wire. I'll order a few packets of the SL45 and see what they look like.
    I don't even remember if Gamakatsu was around when I fished bonefish many years ago. Maybe we didn't know of them on the East coast. The hook of choice was the Mustad 34007 stainless. We tied mainly shrimp patterns for bones. Larger 34007's were used for big Tarpon flies and Striper flatwings and deceivers. My supply of 34007's in all sizes is just about gone now. Not a great hook but it is what was there.

Jack