Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Sea-run cutthroat like pile worm pattern

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  kelvin 
#1 ·
A couple of days ago I was again having great success with a top water sand lance pattern. When the sea-run cutthroat got wise to the pattern at one location, I decided try out an articulated tube pile worm pattern which I tied up two months ago but had never used. In the next 10 to 15 minutes I landed 4 sea-run cutthroat(see picture below) on the pile worm pattern. I probably won't use the pattern again until the top water sand lance action slows down around mid-Nov. but am looking foreward to use it next spring for sea-run cutthroat. At least now I know that a articulated tube pile worm pattern appears to be liked by sea-run cutthroat. It will be interesting to see this winter if the resident coho also like the pattern.

One picture below shows three segments of the pattern(conehead front = 1" , middle = 3/4", back = 1 3/4"). Another picture show the pattern using only the front and back segments which best shows the reddish/brown body ribbing. A couple of nice features of this pattern are: (1) two segments can be used but 1 or 2 more segments can be added if a longer pattern is desired, (2) the heavy tungsten conehead gives the pattern excellent jigging action, (3) the segments give more good motion to the pattern.

Real reddish/brown pile worms have very short black legs but the reddish/brown hackle seemed to work fine. I might clip the hackle to look like short legs plus use black hackle.

Materials list:

Tube: HMH small dia.
Tungsten conehead: HMH small dia.
Hook: Gamakatsu SC-15 #4
Tail: Reddish/brown marabou
Body: Hollow Larvae Lace Body material reddish/brown
Hackle: brown grade #3

Roger

See less See more
#7 ·
Zack:

I have the materials to tie the pattern in olive. I'll post some pictures when I tie it in olive with black hackle and the reddish/brown with black hackle. I am going to try the pattern both with the hackle clipped like the short legs of real pile worms and unclipped.

When you tie the pattern, melt the cut ends of the HMH tube with a candle to form a very small ridge/knob so the materials will be less likely to slide off plus put a small dab of Hard as Nail where the thread was whip finished. Also, color the ends of the tube where cut/melted with a marker pen of the appropriate color. In front of the tungsten conehead wrapped some clear mono thread to keep the conehead from sliding foreward and secure the thread with Hard as Nails. Only the small HMH tungsten coneheads will fit the small HMH tube and they are not cheap!

I am going to call the pattern A.T.(articulated tube) pile worm. It would be interesting for others to post pictures of their pattern using this concept to see how they have modified it.

Roger

#9 ·
Roger, great report and fly patterns as always. I too tied up some sessile worms for a recent swap. My plan was to have them fished in rock shoreline areas where the surf was rolling lightly. The weighted bead would hold it in place for a few rolls, then a twitch strip to relocated it to roll again as if it were flowing in the breaking waves. Mine look like this:

#13 ·
A couple of days ago I was again having great success with a top water sand lance pattern. When the sea-run cutthroat got wise to the pattern at one location, I decided try out an articulated tube pile worm pattern which I tied up two months ago but had never used. In the next 10 to 15 minutes I landed 4 sea-run cutthroat(see picture below) on the pile worm pattern. I probably won't use the pattern again until the top water sand lance action slows down around mid-Nov. but am looking foreward to use it next spring for sea-run cutthroat. At least now I know that a articulated tube pile worm pattern appears to be liked by sea-run cutthroat. It will be interesting to see this winter if the resident coho also like the pattern.

One picture below shows three segments of the pattern(conehead front = 1" , middle = 3/4", back = 1 3/4"). Another picture show the pattern using only the front and back segments which best shows the reddish/brown body ribbing. A couple of nice features of this pattern are: (1) two segments can be used but 1 or 2 more segments can be added if a longer pattern is desired, (2) the heavy tungsten conehead gives the pattern excellent jigging action, (3) the segments give more good motion to the pattern.

Real reddish/brown pile worms have very short black legs but the reddish/brown hackle seemed to work fine. I might clip the hackle to look like short legs plus use black hackle.

Materials list:

Tube: HMH small dia.
Tungsten conehead: HMH small dia.
Hook: Gamakatsu SC-15 #4
Tail: Reddish/brown marabou
Body: Hollow Larvae Lace Body material reddish/brown
Hackle: brown grade #3

Roger
nice tie
where were you in July??
http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/showthread.php?t=58114

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.