searun size...

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by D3Smartie, Oct 3, 2004.

1. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Les, You said in another post that a big cutt you caught was probably a hybrid. any certain range of their size? I have got cuts in the salt up to 23. how much bigger do they get?

2. willieboat

willieboat Member

There are plenty of 20"ers being caught in the Cowlitz right now. One of the guys in the Morning Hatch Fly Shoppe said that a guy came in talking about landing a 5#er, which he killed. bawling: It would have to look like a football, I'd imagine.

Don

3. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

I have seen them up to five pounds. I've got a picture of one that i caught when i was about 8 on a spinner in agate pass. I thought it was a salmon and killed it. It was a monster fish. Still feel bad about killing that one. :beathead:

4. Preston

Preston Active Member

Most people would consider a twenty-inch cutthroat a rare trophy. The biggest I've ever actually seen was Les' 25-incher. In forty-plus years of fishing for them I've only seen a few in the twenty-two/twenty-three inch range. The biggest I've ever caught in that time went just a bit over twenty. The state record is somewhere in the neighborhood of six pounds but I don't know what the length was, Behnke says "Sea-run fish may attain a maximum of about 6 pounds (2.7kg)". WDFW biologist Curt Kraemer believes that any sea-run cutthroat much over twenty inches is a cutthroat/steelhead hybrid. I think twenty-inch sea-run cutthroat are about as common as twenty-inch Yakima rainbows.

5. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

is that kinda like there are no trout over 20" in the Deschutes. ODFW says that anything over 20 is a steelhead. But there are some trout in there over 20, just not many.

I get 1 really big cut about every 2 years. Almost always in the same general area although this summer I didnt find good cut numbers in Agate Pass where I have gotten my biggest. I did end up with some nice Hood canal ones but no monsters.

6. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

I think 17" cuts are considered "trophy" fish in AK (compared to 35" rainbows) All cutts up here are considered sea run however the biggest ones are the ones that live in inland lakes that probably get up to 25", it think SRCs are about like grayling in size wich average about 10-12" but every year you here of some pushing 25

7. irishmac10

irishmac10 New Member

My first trip to the stilly,I caught about a 20 inch SRC,thay was this Sept. :beer2:

8. dmoocher

dmoocher Member

They use to get pretty big

The flyshop in Tumwater has a photo of a resident cutthroat from the 1960's caught with a crawdad tail (the local favorite) that weighed over 7 pounds.

9. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    I just posted a reply (#15) in Hedburner's thread on "A really big searun"
    that probably should have been in this thread. The biggest I've ever caught has been a 17-18"er, last year in a Willapa Bay stream, which I measured against my rod, so I didn't get the exact #. I've only been seriously after these beauties with a flyrod for less than 3 years, and dream about catching one in the 20" range some day.

Jimbo

10. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    This time of year out here, Port Townsend area, I am expecting to catch Cutts almost exclusively over twelve inches.

I got two a few nights ago that were both over sixteen inches and very fat.

Most of the cutthroat I have seen that were above eighteen inches long were in fall and winter. Most of these larger fish appear to have steelhead qualities as well. And quite a few cutts here, of all sizes, have no red slash under the mandible, but especially the bigger ones.

My (personal) biggest Sea Run Cutthroat was 23-1/2 inches, two years ago.

11. Dizane

Dizane Coast to Coast

The biggest SRC I've ever seen was hooked by my brother a few years ago just south of Southworth. When my brother got it close to the boat it charged and actually jumped over the back corner of the small rowboat we were in. I was standing up in the boat and that thing was at eye level with me. Unfortunately, when it hit the water the hook came free. I've caught a few 18-20"ers, and that guy was easily larger than that. That was a crazy evening in that we caught several fish over 15'' in a row. Just must have lucked out and run into a pod of big fish. The cutts in the salt seem to sort themselves by size as I've had the same thing happen since. Never had another run in with one as big as that one my brother hooked though.

Dane