NFR Seasonal ales

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by bitterroot, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Belgian St. Bernardus Christmas Ale and Austrian Samiclaus are my two favorites at Christmas time. Mad Elf from Troegs in PA and Jolly Roger are my favorite U.S. made beers.

2. underachiever

underachiever members only

I usually love Parabola, this years release was not as good as previous ones to me. Too boozy, too sweet... but yeah all those you mention are great. Two things from Europe that I really love are De Molen's Hel & Verdemoenis(netherlands) and HaandBryggeriet's Odin's Tipple(norway). My understanding is that the distributor (Shelton Brothers) does not distribute in Washington so I'm not sure if you can find them up your way.

3. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

GRRRRRR......you guys are making me miss beer so so much. I've found decent GF beer, but the only affordable ones that I like are the Omissions, but I am craving a good stout or porter.

4. 1morecast

1morecast Active Member

One of my favorite winter beers!!

5. Jake Dixon

Jake Dixon Member

In a day? That's impressive.

Anybody else tried the No-Li Winter Seasonal? It's not as dark as most, but it's been my favorite so far this year. Those of you in Spokane can get it at the brewery; around here, I've just found the 22oz bottles.

6. Jake Dixon

Jake Dixon Member

Also had a chance to try Fremont's Bourbon Abominable ale last week. That's a hearty beer.

7. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I was actually pretty disappointed in that beer. Seemed to really miss the mark.

8. Jake Dixon

Jake Dixon Member

Say more - what mark? It was a pretty singular note, but enjoyable nonetheless. However, definitely not going to be stockpiling it at that price point.

9. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Just lacked that "richness" that tends to define the barrel aged stouts. A bit too one dimensional I guess. Definitely not bad, just not what I'm after when I look for this type of beer.

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I don't drink beer. I couldn't tell one type from another if the labels were in front of me.

But I do like Whiskey. Couldn't tell the difference there either. But some tastes better than others. Scotch, you have to acquire a taste for it.

11. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Elliott Bay Brewing - Noale

3 blocks from my office and it is 1/2 price growler Tuesday. I'll be there in about an hour.

MB

12. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Dang! Most of these delicious sounding brews mentioned above aren't even available out here in this godforsaken hillbilly backwater where I manage to survive. Last time I ventured into civilization, I picked some Ninkasa Imperial Stout that I liked.
    Most of the time I like stouts, porters, and other dark brews. Lately, I have developed a sweet tooth for Pyramid Outburst Imperial IPA, though.
    Snowcap, Jubilale, and Elysian BiFrost (as well as their Dragon's Tooth Stout) are available here.

13. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

I tried some of Schooner Exact's Hoppy Holidays winter warmer...very good...it's only on tap, if you can find it.

14. underachiever

underachiever members only

That's available in bottles now.

15. Matt B

Matt B ...

First glass of a new growler: Oakshire Brewery's Ill Tempered Gnome. It's good--dark, hoppy but not too hoppy kinda like a brown ale, maybe a slight funk and maybe a little chocolate or coffee or something--but I wish my spot still had the Jolly Roger.