Seattle Kman is DOA?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by slippery_whippet, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Kirk Singleton

Kirk Singleton Capt Kirk

Home Page:
    I was told that news a few months ago. I have always thought that location was really hard to get to and find parking.
    It is sad to see such an icon go. I have bought lots of things from them over the years. They were always great to deal with.
    Lets just hope that this is just more worthless internet gossip.

2. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

The end of an era no doubt. When the bellevue store closed it gave me a sick feeling, I knew there was serious trouble, I've seen it before.
    There's nothing good about this in my opinion.
    Relationships have a geographical connection...remember the house you grew up in? We fished together, laughed together, camped together, conducted business with mutual respect, and each did their part to enrich the lives of the other. When a business dies it isn't about dollars and cents. It's a loss... a loss of community, a loss of opportunity. Puget Sound flyfishing is not the better for it.
    "Strengthen what remains" is the call. Let not our retail brethren become endangered.

3. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Just to throw a little gasoline on the fire, I have noticed that some of the web sites for fly shops no longer have a "catalog" on line. I just noticed this a few months ago. I don't plan to make any really big purchase after forty years of collecting, but I do need a new float tube. So without a paper catalog or a web catalog, I guess you need to go touch and feel before you buy. Kind of like getting married.

Like was stated earlier, it is good to see and feel what you are buying. But it was nice to shop for what you wanted before you drive in to the shop. I guess I usually buy more than I planned anyway.My good wishes for the shops in this tough time.

4. Porter

Porter Active Member

They do it with permission from the mfg'er and mostly it is due to overstock, you will find the same thing from local fly shops, but of course you need to visit them to know, they don't advertise it...it's more like a reward to visiting customers who might be in the market for that "xyz" fly rod..or even a Bauer Rogue @ 35% off :) ...didn't have it in me to pull the trigger...I need to be [​IMG] more often to justify that purchase.

5. Porter

Porter Active Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: too funny ___________ [​IMG]

6. Hal Eckert

Hal Eckert Active Member

Wow. KMAN retail stores closing, their mail order catalogue was the place for me, bought my steelhead fly tying kit from them in 1980 when I started tying, then bought most of my fly tyng supplies from them for years from their catalogues. Not bought from them in a while, I was just out on their web site looking at their products too.

I am sure I have some of their catalogues in my FF closet. Have not received a catalogue in a couple of years from them. Makes sense though these days to do away with the paper catalogue and go net only.

Local Cabelas tells me there fly fishing section is doing very well with retail sales and new fly fishers tying and buying equipment. Not me though, I have so many tying supplies its sick, 15 fly rods, one to three used each year.

HE

7. Jakob Lund

Jakob Lund New Member

Hello,

My name is Jakob Lund. I am the manager of Kaufmann Streamborn.
    I was made aware of this thread from several sources.

Let me put the rumor to rest. Kaufmann Streamborn are not closing down! We have no intention of doing such! Zero!

We appreciate all of our customers and will continue to serve them today, tomorrow and in the future. As stated by many posters, and I can stress this enough, please support your local shop, that being Kaufmann's or someone else.

Sincerely,

Jakob Lund

8. SteelieD

SteelieD Non Member

Apparently it is. Thanks Jakob.

9. sroffe

sroffe Active Member

Jakob,

Glad to hear that there is no intention in closing.

10. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I'm going to a fly swap at all ALL ABOUT THE FLY this saturday & I've enjoyed Lelands hospitality at OVRIS. Show me a web site that provides a place for these types of venues. Plus puts up with my excentric demands for unusual products at a reasonable price. BUY LOCAL, SUPPORT YOUR COMMUNITY

11. slippery_whippet

slippery_whippet Member

Hi Jakob,

I for one consider this to be great news and hope for all the best. Folks at both the Tigard and Bellevue stores helped me out a lot over the years. This was my first time I have made it over to the Seattle store.

I am curious though why I was told by the person working the counter that no new stock would be coming in anytime soon and that he expected to doors to close shortly. Maybe he was misinformed? What I saw were hardly any flies in the bins and next to nothing for tying supplies with lots of empty space on the walls. I would think that this time of the year would be prime time. However, when I walked into the Seattle store fully expecting to drop a couple hundred bucks and came out with only one bag of Kman dubbing, that tells me something too. Maybe you have a disgruntled employee, but the lack of stock on the shelves seems like a pretty major indicator....I certainly walked out pretty saddened by what I saw after making the trek downtown with a long list of tying supplies. Can you speak to that?

Again, perhaps this is just speed bump and you guys get things turned around. All the best,

--SW

12. Hunt-man

Hunt-man Member

Christmas time and empty shelves..... Really? That doesn't sound good. Maybe a money problem? I hope they don't go away. I do like the Tigard store.

13. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

I gotta agree. The same thing's been going on for some time at a couple of other Seattle area stores. SInce they're site sponsors, I won't name names but we all know who they are. Anyone who's gone in looking for tying supplies, hooks, or other consumables will have undoubtedly noticed that in at least two stores (and I'm not talking about Kaufmann's), more than half their wall hooks are empty. When I've asked, I've gotten a variety of lame answers like 'Our shipment is running late' or 'The manufacturer is having a hard time filling orders.'

So the shipment's been running late for 6 months and you're still out of Tiemco dry fly hooks? Bullshit.

Since those store are still open but with very reduced inventory, I have a different theory: the current credit crunch has meant that stores - especially small stores like fly shops - have had a hard time with cash flow and have been unable to get credit to keep their inventory up. It's a vicious circle: as their inventory slowly sells out, the shop can't replace it, which means that fewer people buy stuff because the shop doesn't have it in stock and can't buy it, which means their sales start to slow down, making it harder to pay on their existing lines of credit, making a new or higher credit line harder to get.

How's that fit in with your experience Jakob? Why all the empty shelves?

(I'll be shocked and amazed if Jakob replies. If he does, I'll bet a swig from my bottle of George Dickel 12 that it'll be to repeat some other lame excuse like those his competitors are offering. Maybe if Jakob and the owners at the two Seattle shops leveled with their customers instead of blowing smoke up our waders, we'd all be inclined to cut you even more slack and rally around to support you during these hard times.)

OTOH, we've all seen similar rumors before. Remember the hot thread last year that SImms was going out of business? Or the one about Winston closing? It's that time of year when most folks stop fishing and conspiracy theories replace fishing trips.

K

14. Islander

Islander Steve

That's a good point Kent. There are tons of flattened squirrels and cottontails on the Whidbey roads...problem is...none of the bunnies are olive color.

15. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Something's going on Jakob. Obviously it's none of my business in terms of what the problem is, but I hope that you're able to get it figured out. I've been going in Kaufman's for over two years and the inventory has been lacking "most" of the time. You guys are out of a lot of pretty basic patterns. Obviously you know this. But, I've been disappointed to the point that I simply quit going in. I can only buy so many size 6 stimulators :)

Hope you guys get everything figured out. I love the shop, the people that work there, and want to see you guys continue to run a store in the neighborhood.

-J