Seeing fly at dusk

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by dogsnfish, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Don't feel bad, Jim. I cut the leader also, on Wednesday. I was getting ready to go and I tied on some 6X tippet to the main leader.
    Zip, two pieces and two tag ends on the main line.

2. gbeeman

gbeeman Active Member

Been there done that!

GBeeman

3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Went out today just for a look around at two small creeks. I stopped off at a spot where the water is behind a dam like structure. I was just looking and lo and behold there was some fish swimming around. So I said why not. Got myself a EB of about 12"

I got some pictures,but not of the fish. Just the hole the fish was in. 004.JPG

Edit: I tried to load two different pictures but got twp of the same one. Don't know what I did but I got rid of one of them. That is not a cement pond. It just looks like one.

4. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    Fishing the industrial zones OMJ? ;)

5. Evan Salmon

Evan Salmon Active Member

My eyes must be getting pretty bad too. That looks like a hatchery runway to me. ; )

Olive bugger likes this.
  6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I don't know why I try to explain things to you all, I know what this is. Besides I'm fishing here in Montana. This is where there are fish in just about anyplace there is water running down hill.

7. Olive bugger

hahahaha. Jim has been busted.

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Not really. I'm through reporting on how I'm doing and where I'm fishing at. I've had enough shit from everybody.

I know where to have fun and from now on I'll keep it all to myself.

9. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    Awwww... :( no way! Keep the little creek reports coming. Heck I'd have fished that sweet spot by the diversion too!!

10. Olive bugger

Jim if you stop giving reports I will never learn about fishing in Montana. I sure as heck don't have a lot of prospects of actually
    getting there and wetting a line. Give me a break and brighten up
    my day once in a while.

11. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

I used to take more pictures of fish. A few years ago, for each nice fish, I tried taking a picture of the fish and the lie where I caught the fish. I found that the pictures of the water were much more interesting and informative. Now, I take more pictures of water and streams than of fish, which all look pretty much the same.

So, Jim, I appreciate your picture; I can look at it and imagine catching the fish. I can't do that when I just see a picture of a fish!

D

12. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Well maybe I'll relent. But This creek I went to is only about 20 minutes from my house here in Dillon. And here I've been going up into the hills about 60 miles from home to find solitude. I'm going back up there next week and taking my other toy with me. Many places to explore and can only get there with an ATV.

Plus I get to catch EBT that have some very nice colors. I wish I wasn't so fumble fingered so that I could take a few pictures of fish. But I don't think that is going to happen. I should have three arms with hands and then I would be able to do more than just release the fish.

13. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

When one goes fishing and there is catching involved. One does get excited about it. When I fished in Washington I never caught the fish that I catch now. I feel that it's a privilege to have fun while one is fishing.

I don't have many years left to fish as the getting around is getting harder to do, so having fun is the thing. While I still have my health I'm going to do it as much as I can.

14. Olive bugger

I understand about that getting around part. Seems like all the good looking water requires a climb down a steep bank to get to it.

My steep bank climber ain't in such good shape.

15. Thom Collins

Thom Collins Active Member

About seeing the fly at dusk, I find that getting my eyes as close to the water as I can helps. So does positioning myself so that I can use something in the background to give me some contrast to the water and/or fly.