Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

September Pink Reports

19K views 182 replies 56 participants last post by  Ian Broadie 
#1 ·
Since we had 27 some pages thought it was fitting to start a new thread. Any word on how the run is post gillnets on the Duwamish? I'm hoping to get my 6 year old niece into her first fish tomorrow with the oink Barbie rod I bought for her birthday.

#4 ·
Talked with one of the bid wigs today and he said the nets are going back in Sept. 11th. There are no nets in the water.

Had an epic morning. I found a school and immediately hooked up. As I was fighting the fish another boat motored up and anchored right over the school as I was trying to wave him off and fight the fish at the same time. I lost the fish when it wrapped around my anchor line and the guy yelled back that he didn't know why I was waving him off. Hooked two more as the school was leaving and landed one. Went searching for more fertile grounds and I found it. Fished to 1130 and ended up hooking 30 and landed 24 and only quit because I was tired of catching fish. . My best day ever by far and not another sole in sight. Did I say how I love weekdays?

#11 ·
it's weird to look out from the bridge on the way home and see personal watercraft out there. I feel like a pioneer. ;)

but I also like having the brethren in the mix, will be sad when we loose one of us to a sea lion though

BTW a danger I hadn't thought of until the other day is when you are fishing out from the bridge farther then anyone can cast but within the barges. A snapped off buzz bomb can easily travel that far. This realization came to me when it seemed like a 50cal round zipped into the water right next to my oar. A few spots on my body that would kill me, many more that would hurt like hell.

I've been saying that I think it is the most dangerous spot I fish from the pontoon, because I have no idea what the real dangers are (still learning them). I'm glad I've only seen Harbor Seals this year, the sea lions in years past were quite the pucker factor. (mammals larger than your boat, after the same food).

#21 ·
I do have a power boat but have never been over there so thanks for the tip! Any better options over the weekkend? Not sure how much I'll be fishing but wanted to introduce my parents to the madness and show them some fish.

#22 ·
Great vid, Paul. Looks like you and Nope tore 'em up (plus, he said as much on FB...). Headed to Pullman tomorrow, but want to get out Sunday night and Monday. Get those suckers put in a pen for me, won't you please?

And a howdy to Sam who I met tonight on the river. Good fishing with you!

#24 ·
Just in from the River with the kidlet and Upton O. We tore it up on the fly rods, and found a couple of agressive acrobatic hens in the mix. The only downer was that my daughter lost her only fish to a shit knot I tied. (How 'radish of me.)

Still, a great time was had by all, and I recon by Tuesday I'll smell like I swam in fish sauce.

#28 ·
Fished from 530am to 3pm, hit south vashon,dash pt,browns pt,mouth of puyallup,claybanks for kings,GH for kings and ZILCH,ZERO,NUTIN' to hand except stupid dogfish and flounders. A zillion boats but nice weather. Also witness nothing to hand on other boats too.

Was about to go throw metal in the puyallup but was tired and didn't want to deal with the crowds,heat and cars. Fried my fishfinder and all th wires melted, don't know where the short was, but fried my fingers trying to fix it, OUCH!

Well, now I'm looking foward to targeting silvers and kings ONLY, and src. Pinks are history! :p

#29 ·
Got my boat out for the first time this weekend. Stayed close to home but put a good 50 miles on it Saturday and Sunday so got brave and made the run from Bremerton to Seattle yesterday. Great weather and fun boating but no fish. I had my flyrod and some gear and nothing. Found some fish but no bites. I've never fished for salmon with gear before and never caught an adult salmon in the salt so maybe I was just presenting wrong, but I didn't see many other hookups either. In fact, the whole time I was over there (west waterway and up above Spokane St bridge) I saw one fish to hand and one other hookup. Pretty bummed after the long trip but I learned alot boating over there. Also made the entire day (around 40 miles) on one 6 gallon tank with some to spare. Pretty good I thought!

#30 ·
Couldn't find any Pinks on the beach on Maury Island (Vashon) on Sun-Mon but we found a few Sea Run Cutts willing to bite.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.