Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

September Pink Reports

19K views 182 replies 56 participants last post by  Ian Broadie 
#1 ·
Since we had 27 some pages thought it was fitting to start a new thread. Any word on how the run is post gillnets on the Duwamish? I'm hoping to get my 6 year old niece into her first fish tomorrow with the oink Barbie rod I bought for her birthday.

#32 ·
I'm still finding fish, but they are being VERY difficult to coax in to playing. This run definitely hasn't been as easy to keep on a consistent game as previous runs. I've been able to consistently get fish, but my strategies are having to be constantly re-worked.

Today was much better than my minimal-hookup outing yesterday. Double digits on the hookups, but considering the number of fish I was throwing to, that isn't that impressive. They are being very tight lipped, and my buddy and I have found one, and only one, fly/presentation they seem to be liking (and it is not the tungsten head fly I previously posted). **flashabou is your friend**

#36 ·
Been hittin the lower duwamish last two days...holy smokes I was spoiled and I'm sore. Both days hooked at least 30 fish. Used super small clousers on an intermediate line. Some times letting it sink sometimes not, depends on where I was spotting them. Tried topwater today and nothing. I got a couple on top in 09, but there were just an insane amount of fish then. Anyways it was very refreshing to see all the fly guys out there on labor day. Met P. Dieter and he took some video of me untangling my running line for 15 min. and then finally hooking one right at the boat, I was the guy in the livingston. Today was probably the last day of pink madness for me since its back to work and the nets are supposedly going in this week. Time for coho!

#42 ·
Met P. Dieter and he took some video of me untangling my running line for 15 min. and then finally hooking one right at the boat, I was the guy in the livingston.
I didn't get the chance to meet you, but saw you putting on a clinic from 100 yards away. Nice job! The talk among all the FFers was to go deep. Sure enough, I put on my biggest dumbbell pink fly (tied years ago for AK salmon) and hooked up on a dry line. Been fishing a dry line all season and will be using a sink or int. from here on. Nice job out there. My arm was tired just watching you hooked up ;)

#39 ·
I know...Seeing your pics in the gallery inspired me...what can I say I'm guilty, I have pink fever. I went out last tuesday lookin for coho around alki pt. and lincoln park in the boat. Saw some bait being chased and threw some poppers for a couple of hours but nada. September is usually pretty good to me in MA10.

#46 ·
Pink fishing has been up and down

Fished all weekend
Friday Night: Hooked 3 lost 3
Saturday Night: Hooked 1 caught 1
Sunday Morning: Hooked 10+ caught 6
Monday Morning: Hooked 2 lost 2
Tuesday Morning: Hooked 20+ caught 10 to 15 (don't remember)

All of them on my Flashabou fly:

#50 ·
Bill,
Good luck out there chasing coho. I may see you out there next week. I agree, the tides are looking better as well.
I've got 9 straight days starting Saturday to fish, so I'll be hitting it hard. I'm not much of a fan of these high pressure systems and the north to northwest winds they bring. Some fog to block out the full moon is at the top of wish list.

#52 ·
Reports without any hint of a location or whether fish were caught in the salt or fresh water are unhelpful and bordering on boasting. I'm not accusing anyone of this, but am bringing it up in a hope that future reports will be more helpful to others. I won't blow their "secret" fishing holes, but will say that Evan and Ian were fishing the snohomish river.

I fished the salt in a boat off Mukilteo on Saturday and there are lots of pinks and Coho moving through. Some rain would probably help draw the fish into rivers.

#57 ·
Reports without any hint of a location or whether fish were caught in the salt or fresh water are unhelpful
Sorry, but I call bullshit on this. Only report chasers need the location. Someone can provide an excellent report with lots of information about techniques, equipment, flies, strategies etc without giving up the location.
Look at all the people that bitched about the crowded beaches during pink season yet continued to post where they were fishing. Combine that with the lurkers who offer nothing but suck info off the board.
Really, should you expect anything less then a crowd?

You can easily say I was fishing MA11 etc without giving up the exact location. What the hell ever happen to just going out and fishing on your own without someone having to tell you what rock to stand on?

#53 ·
I keep some of my posts ambiguous because I think any reports are helpful to keep the hope alive for guys fishing all over the area. I think I've posted plenty of helpful things on here to make up for the times I didn't post the "where," and while I don't care if people know if I'm fishing the Snohomish, filling in info that others left out isn't necessary. And on numerous occasions in the previous weeks, I've had several people PM me asking for tips... And I not only told many good spots, but I took guys out fishing. Besides, boasting on a fishing site is not only accepted, but encouraged.

Today I saw less fish than any other day out. Still managed to go 4 for 5 despite not seeing much of any in the way of rollers or jumpers. Of the 4 of us fishing, besides my fish, 3 others were landed, and one lost. Didn't see any other anglers in the area catch anything.

The fish I picked up today were definitely the ripest I've seen yet.

View attachment 43975 View attachment 43976

#56 ·
Everything that needs to be said is on a fishing report and on my signature line along with photos and often times video. I won't go into deeper details of what rock to stand on as I'd rather keep those things off the inter webs. I'm happy to share flies used and equipment again, all on the blog. I find information on run timing useful for locating fish and last season although the timing and tides were ideal I struck out on several expensive ferry and fuel trips. Sometimes it's about being there at the right time.

#59 ·
I'll throw in $.02.

I would agree with the salt or fresh designation. Personally I don't give a rip and have been at it long enough that I just wish a report to be entertaining or have some nice photography (which BTW IMHO doesn't include a fish lying on the dry ground...at least move in and do a macro of the eye or fin or something). But for someone trying to figure things out giving techniques without saying if it's for salt, estuary or fresh river can be more confusing than helpful.

Also I personally find fish counts above a "limit" pedantic and narcissistic, but that's just me personally. The idea of keeping track of dbl digit catching or hooking or ratio there of is something I simply don't associate with a worthwhile story. I will grant that I probably did many years and fish ago and therefore will grant someone some leeway in posting it up but I might also take an opportunity like this one to encourage them to "move along" in their evolution of a fly fisher.

A good internet report is tricky and highly dependent upon the circumstances of the fishery. Everyone has their own comfort level of divulging locations and you have to respect that. I just want a good story, photo or video; and I try to provide the same.

#60 ·
I do sit back and just read without commenting most of the time. I thought this was a public forum to help people that are new to fishing and fly fishing or new to the area figure out the game. Their will always be people who need the reassurence that they are in the right place using the right tackle at the right time. Bitching at them will not help when the next new guy or gal comes along. I have no problem with most opinions and personal insights on this board, but it seems to turn into a bitchfest no matter what the subject? I Know where to fish and how to fish and don't need to know your secret spot. I will at my discretion share any info about any rock, fly, bait or lure with persons of my choice. The shit people pitch on this board makes participating in the conversation worse than moving your boat to close to the Dash point dock when the fish are in. For the most part I just stay out of it rather than catch a bunch of crap from people I don't know and in some case don't care to meet. I've said what I needed to say, I will not be back lurking much cause it ain't no fun.

FB

#61 ·
Sorry my info doesn't meet everyone's standards. But the reason for shitty photos and numbers is because I am journaling/photographing every pink I catch this year for reasons that only matter to me. I will continue to post info I feel like sharing complete with half assed photography until I throw in the towel.

#65 ·
I've posted reports from various area 11, 10, and 9 beaches and the Snohomish system rivers.

I've been completely skunked ONCE this season (as in 0 grabs, no hookups, nada), and it was the one and only time I followed the "report."

I don't like report chasing, or feeding the habits of those that rely on reports. I'll post what I want, when I want, and you can take what you want from it or ignore it. I'm not changing my habits. I'm not fishing secret rivers or areas, but I have some specifics to what I do that I don't want going out on an open forum. My favorite spot to fish for pinks, which I ALWAYS fished by myself, or with at the most one or two other people, has had 15+ people at it on multiple occasions, on WEEK DAYS this run. I despise fishing with crowds. It's a deal breaker for me, and I won't post anything that may feed more people to where I'm at.

#66 ·
Has anyone else noticed different sexes keying in on different sizes and retrievies? This weekend a pal was fishing a size 6 or so medium weighted gotcha thingy and all his fish but one were bucks. I was fishing a size 2 3/32oz jig and all my fish but one were hens. I've noticed this a couple of times this season.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.