Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

September Pink Reports

19K views 182 replies 56 participants last post by  Ian Broadie 
#1 ·
Since we had 27 some pages thought it was fitting to start a new thread. Any word on how the run is post gillnets on the Duwamish? I'm hoping to get my 6 year old niece into her first fish tomorrow with the oink Barbie rod I bought for her birthday.

#70 ·
My original statement might have come across a little too strong for some, but I never said that exact locations and secrets should be posted. My comments were mainly in reference to jwg's fundamental questions about the general area in which pink action might be found. I do agree with Stonefly that:

"Someone can provide an excellent report with lots of information about techniques, equipment, flies, strategies etc without giving up the location."

So enough digression, someone post up a good report so I can vicariously fish while I'm taking care of the honey-do list.

fish on!
Christophe

PS. Thanks to Ian for the fly pattern, will put it to the test tomorrow evening.

#71 ·
Fished the Duwi tonight - still lots of fish but I think that the test nets go in tomorrow, so depending on what constitutes a test that may or may not last.

I had a much harder time getting fish to strike today - not sure what the deal was but I recall the same sort of thing happening near the end of the 1st week of September during the last run, and found that I was consistently having the best luck with small green flashabou comets for some reason.

I had my best (only) luck with smallish (6-8) cerise flashabou comets that look an awful lot like Ian's fly, fished off of a floater on a longish leader - except mine have a bit of fluff just behind the eyes. Best of luck and if anyone has eyes on the net situation from tomorrow onwards please post an update.

Not sure I'll make it out again but what a glorious night to end the run on if that's the case. I hope everyone had at least one outing where it all came together during this run.

#78 ·
I may or may not be drunk and don't care.
1st off The Muckleshoot have not decided to set the nets on Thursday, but that may change.

If you want a place to catch or see fish, go to the following areas, don't worry, none of these are anyone's secret spots, and if you think it is well.......................ooppps.
A little something for everyone.

Pinks:
1. East waterway of the Duwamish. You can access some of the areas along the East Marginal way, but if you have a watercraft of some sort you will be better off. There is enough fish for everyone to catch and release. If you need here is the "rock" to stand on. 47.57373 -122.34385

2. Deception Pass /Deception pass state park - Google is your friend
3. Snohomish river near the mouth of the Pilchuck - Google is your friend
4. Lincoln park
5. Out in front of Shilshole Marina near the buoy marker-47.69359 -122.413
7. Puyallup River - Sewage treatment plant / Italian restaurant. 4719867 -1222.5498
8. Green River - near Boeing 4750311 -122.29654
9. Skykomish - 4785966 -121.81999
10. Dash Point

Kings:
1. Hoodsport ( hurry almost over)

Silvers:

All up and down the beach from Richmond beach to West Seattle, - look at the map

#84 ·
FYI; Lots of jumpers near the beach in Saratoga Pass off the N.W. side of Camano Island yesterday (9/8).
I only had 20 minutes to fish, no grabs but lots of fish still around there.
On a side note for you bird observers; I saw a Common Loon in all its summer glory black and white plumage. Won't be long until more are seen on the Sound, although after they molt their winter plumage is not as spectacular. Nice to see the loons.

#88 ·
:thumb:

#90 ·
They're all yours. But, to call them hard fighting fish is a bit of a stretch. I'll give 'em credit, they do take a fly and pull for a few seconds but considering them to be hard fighting is like saying a RF bow is a spring creek trout....... They are.... technically;)

It's only about putting fish on ice when talking about pinks. I'd rather have the experience of untouched water for a month or two than throw some slimy little skank of a fish in my ice box. Besides, their best attribute is providing river nutrients for the next generation of whatever is being hatched in the river.

#91 ·
I very much disagree on that. This year, the big males fight HARD. I've put over 50 steelhead to hand this year, so I have something to compare to. I've had several pinks cartwheel, tailwalk, run to the backing, and be completely on FIRE and impossible to turn. Not every fish mind you, but more than enough to make it extremely fun.

I know it's not cool amongst the elite to say pinks are good for anything (food, fighting, etc), but I know for a fact they are good for something.

#92 ·
I have to agree with Evan. Although I am not really targeting them, the few incidental pinks that I have caught this season have fought harder than in previous years. However, I am only speaking in regards to my own experience, which is limited in regards to the 2011 pink run.

#93 ·
I would say they can be hard fighting. Got taken for a ride by one a few weeks ago. He pulled me in my kayak around pretty good. He was really god to me and pulled me right to the beach to be bleed and put on ice. Not even silvers pull me around that very often. to be fair it was a 8 LBS male so as big as an average coho.
Also had a 4 pound pink I would have sworn was a 15 pound Chinook until I got it in. Course it most likley was running for its life from a seal at the time because when I landed it, it had a set of teeth marks on it. Never did see any seals around at the time but?
As for eating I kind of like to eat Pinks either fresh cooked on the grill same day its caught or reheated and put into a seafood pasta.

#94 ·
Pinks are great for many reasons:

Take people who have never fished and be able to have them land a salmon on gear or fly, especially kids
New fishermen (I like the ones who go and buy really expensive gear and than never use it again) . We all benefit from these guys/gals because we get to buy some of that gear for great discount
Brings extra $$ to the state, especially now when most of our cities are bankrupt
Definitely $$ for all the tackle/sporting good stores
Food for some
New friendship
All the discussions it brings to on every NW fishing forum; good and bad, it's better than TV.

#95 ·
To each his own. Whether you like or dislike the Pink run is a personal matter and IMHO no one should knock anyone for enjoying the catching and eating if that's what they want to do. I for one have enjoyed the run over the past 8 or 10 years because it's close to home. It's smooth water and the fish do battle hard for the most part. I've had good jumpers and those that have wrapped me up in my motor. I've worn out my arm and shoulder on long days and I've had several skunk days where I lost fish without bringing others to hand. I'll continue the Pink fishing as long as I'm able. Now it's time to get down to Coho and SRC fishing for a while. I like that too and I'll see some of you out there, I'm sure.

#96 ·
I hope nobody here takes me too seriously. My motto.... If it'll take a fly and pull a bit it's good in my book. I don't care what it is. I've been known to train my dog with a 5 wt and pheasant wing. Strictly c n r there;)

I like the diversity in our area. Carp, bass, trout, salmon, etc. It keeps us all doing something different which spreads out the pressure. Can't beat that!

#97 ·
I only wish the four full days of vacation invested in attempting to catch the blasted pinks in the puyallup with my son would have been productive. Not one fish landed. Tried all the tricks and advice, but nothing. Had hoped to see my son land his first salmon before he heads off to college or university somewhere else. Didn't happen. With my work schedule I don't know if we'll get another shot at it this autumn. We are not pleased with the pinks. Truly envy you guys who talk about full limits and lots of fish landed.

#99 ·
Ditto to Patrick. I was up at the Stilly last weekend and burned my arm out with tendenitis try to get one of the hoard of pinks to bite. My only take was on a Wallmart jig and the hook broke. In 2009 at least 5 trips to Brown Point yeilded 1 inadvertently snagged fish. What am I doing wrong? I'm not the best fly fisherman but I'm not that bad.

#103 ·
Hey Everyone,
I would like to introduce myself and start making some posts to this site. This seems like a relatively polite crowd! I've been having good luck fishing for pinks near the point at Golden Gardens.
As for the folks who have had trouble getting the pinks to bite, here are some tips that have worked for me:
1. slow down the retrieve.
2. pause longer between strips
3. use smaller flies (has anyone heard of the "handlebar"?
4. in rivers, i always keep moving until I find biters.
I've had plenty of fishless hours during the pink runs over the years, and some of the methods above have saved the day for me.
http://jameswfishingblog.blogspot.com/

#104 ·
A test net (single net, but the bridge) was in when I launched in the Duwi this morning - but was gone by the time I left at 8:30. Still a fair number of fish there - cerise flashabou comet with fairly heavy ice, fished off of a floater on a long leader seemed to get the job done.

#106 ·
We need rain bad. Fished all day in the rivers up here, and only hooked 4. Hooked one big, really hot buck that gave me a pretty spectacular aerial show.

The fish are coming in at a lower rate with each passing day, and they aren't being particularly grabby. There are still a lot in the salt, but I think they're waiting for the rain we aren't going to get.

I so badly want to go swing up a steelhead after this week's tough pinking.

#109 ·
I have to add the caveat that there are plenty of fish around in the Snoho, but they are staging in deep water better fished by gear rods. I've seen lots of gear guys leaving with limits by 9am, although some of the fish are starting to look a little green around the gills. Guys are also doing well off boats using jigs and Dick Nites. Now it's time for me to figure out how to emulate their success using a fly rod.

We need rain bad. Fished all day in the rivers up here, and only hooked 4. Hooked one big, really hot buck that gave me a pretty spectacular aerial show.

The fish are coming in at a lower rate with each passing day, and they aren't being particularly grabby. There are still a lot in the salt, but I think they're waiting for the rain we aren't going to get.

#107 ·
Hit the green up today, saw lots of fish but couldn't get them to strike, also plenty of people snagging them. We stopped by the river Monday afternoon and saw the warden with what looked like 20 rods in the back of his rig, about 15 people standing around and one guy looked like he was in cuffs. Glad to see them doing their job!

#108 ·
Just wanted to give you guys a little thanks. I have been following all of these reports and they have been extremely helpful to me. I have been learning about run timing, crowds, techniques, locations, patterns, presentations..... the list goes on. All of this info gets used when I get the chance to hit the water and I think that it is helping me become a better fisherman. So, Thanks. Keep it up.

#113 ·
I agree, when I went out on Tuesday exploring my favorite spawning trib I was expecting to see a carpet of fish and the idiots they bring out. Instead I was was pretty well alone... with no fish to be seen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.