Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

SF Snoq - What made this print?

3K views 38 replies 20 participants last post by  apistomaster 
#1 ·
Went up fishing on the SF today. Came across a large wide gravel bar and noticed this set of tracks.

Now this was up off Tinkham Rd, so I know there are campers and dogs around. I am no expert, but I thought that feline prints will not show claw (retractable) while canine will. This was also a 30 minute river treck with one small crossing away from the nearest access. Anyone here able to identify this? Sorry for the crappy cellphone pic.

Even if it was a dog and not a cougar, it sure made me keep an eye out. Also made me focus on my poor casting ability so I wasn't having to fix knots so much. That's when the cougars will get ya! If that's not motivation to improve, I don't know what is.

See less See more
#35 ·
While I certainly keep eyes and ears open for any and all predators - two-legged being orders of magnitude more likely than four - I'm more thrilled than scared that there are lions and lynxes and bears in them thar woods!
That said, this story in the Seattle Times a few years ago certainly raised some hairs on the back of my neck...http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2014261221_cougars18m.html

#38 ·
#39 ·
Circa 1990, I saw an adolescent cougar( still had a few spot)s but was good sized, about 3/4 the way up to Ebey Lake.
Only cougar I saw in the 27 years of fishing the westslopes of the Cascades. Encountered a dripping wet adult cougar which had just waded across Rock Creek, MT.
I did see a Lynx dash across the road back in the 1980's along the S.F. Sauk River near Monte Cristo which was cool.
I worry more about Grizzily Bears in Yellowstone although the wolves are becoming numerous in northern Idaho where I now do most of my fishing.
One's chances of being attacked aren't zero but it isn't something I would concern myself with.
A hand gun isn't likely to do one any good should a cougar truly set it's heart on taking you down.
It would happen so suddenly that there wouldn't be any significant reaction time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.