SFR: A good flask......?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Josh, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Is there such a thing as a "good" flask? Or are they all destined to leak eventually?

I've had terrible ones and a couple ones that worked until they died or disappeared. I'm not looking to spend a mint, since flasks are one of those things that have a way of walking off. But I also don't care to smell like a bum after a mad dog bender because my flask leaked.

2. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

3. The Duke

The Duke Been around

I agree on the Stanley. I've had one for a while and the only booze that spills from it is due to user error or a bad pour.

4. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

5. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

TD likes this.
  6. deansie

deansie Active Member

I've had good luck with this guy from William Joseph

[​IMG]

7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I guess carrying a little with you is better than the whole bottle.

I only drink when I'm through fishing. Don't need to get falling down drunk when fishing. I fall down enough as it is now when fishing.

8. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

I agree Jim. Liquor doesn't improve my game, fishing or golf. It is nice to have a nip or three late in the day though. The alternative is to keep a bottle in the car but that's not a better idea.

9. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    My flask has never leaked. It's the one with a guy playing a fish on it. Gasket inside is the key and if the top screws down solid with tight threads.

My flask is never used while I'm fishing. It's for a pass around nip when we are off the water with cigars

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I don't drink to get drunk, unless it is around a group of Fly Fishers. I try to keep my drinking done at home. Safer all the way around.

11. Preston

Preston Active Member

A few years ago Jamieson was offering a nice stainless steel flask as a promo. The special packaging included a fifth of Jamieson and a 5-ounce-capacity flask, all for the regular price (at that time, $26.00 if memory serves). During the several months that the offer was available I bought a few and gave a couple away to friends. While Jamieson is not my favorite brand of Irish (that would be Tullamore Dew), and I wouldn't drink that very popular fookin' proddy whisky on a bet.

Five ounces is a useful size, enough for a nip or two for yourself and a fishing buddy.

12. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

The only bad flask is an empty one. Each one I have has a good seal and works well.

13. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

I think all of the stainless flasks are made by the same factory in China. I have a TU 5oz that looks like the GSI and William Joseph ones, and a 7.5 oz from a local fundraiser that is identical except for the size. I have not tested them extensively, but no leaks yet.

14. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

I have a no name one that I got at a gas station that has done the trick nicely for me. I've never tried the GSI flask, but have used a lot of their other products and really like them.

15. Stewart

Stewart Skunk Happens

Mine has never leaked, but I don't remember where I got it though... My buddy got his from REI many years ago and it is still going strong. Whatever you do, I recommend one with the attached cap. My previous one went to the trash due to a lost cap incident. I ended up getting a funnel anyway because I kind of suck at filling without it and wasted liquor is a shame. Get the one from REI...