SFR: A good flask......?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Josh, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Bradley Miller

Bradley Miller Dances with fish

Whats not to love about this? Saw something like it at PSFS. It's on my list.

Attached Files:

2. ralfish

ralfish Active Member

I have an old pewter flask that has seen better days. Dented and generally shit kicked. It started leaking about 10 years ago because the gasket or seal in the lid was cacked. I picked what was left of it out and sliced a section of cork from a nice high grade solid wine bottle cork after I sanded the O.D. to the correct size. No issues since....

3. Bradley Miller

Bradley Miller Dances with fish

I had to jump in here and tell you something that happened at work once. I was doing some demolition behind a bar in a restaurant, and accidentally 'clipped' one of the 1/4 inch nylon lines that feeds booze from behind the bar into a 'gun' they use to fill drinks. Oops. In my frantic attempt to make a repair, I ended up smelling like I had crossed a river of booze without waders. Then I had to drive home in I-5 in rush hour and prayed I wouldn't be pulled over. God granted me favor that day.
    NOT that I didn't have explaining to do to my wife, however.

4. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

I actually have maybe 3 flasks, and have had a couple others that broke and are now history.
    One word: Nalgene
    The one I enjoy is a Nalgene model from REI. Clean, clear, large cap that's the same thread as 90% of the liquor bottles, in case you loose the cute one with the plastic shot glass. Light weight in the vest and easy to fill. Twelve ounces so you can share with a pal. Or not.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  5. Josh

Josh dead in the water

I've actually got one of those myself, and it's great for camping or in a pack. I just wish they made like a 7oz one for inside the jacket.

6. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

That would be nice. I've seen smaller opaque plastic flasks with silver (colored at least) lids in travel stores. Not sure of size but think they make assorted.

7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

Maybe the problem isn't the flask. Maybe you just need a bigger jacket.

8. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

I have one from Filson that I've owned for several years. It's a classy looking flask and holds enough whisky for a solid day of fishing (or a half day if you're sharing :)). Have never had any problems with it and it looks like it is built to last a lifetime. I think if you don't want these things to leak, you probably should not store alcohol in them for long periods of time.

9. Josh

Josh dead in the water

That is probably very true.

10. TD

TD Active Member

My brother has this one too I believe. We've shared many a sips along many great rivers and lakes here on the west coast. I don't know of it ever leaking. I CAN tell you this. Topping it off with one brand of whiskey without remembering what is already in it, isn't such a good idea. It can make Maker's Mark taste like something you'd use to strip paint off an engine block.

11. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

I have a little 4 oz. stainless steel one that is very hard to fill, and even with a tiny funnel I always over fill and spill. I got the REI 12 oz one last summer for the Dean River trip. It's too small for 8 days. I think a one liter water bottle might be right for multi-day trips. The 4 oz has always been enough for day use, for just me.

12. TD

TD Active Member

I once filled a nalgene bottle with Chardonnay and stuck it in my buddies backpack when we hiked in to a lake for an overnight fishing trip. It was about a 6 mile hike in. When we got there and were setting up the tent I snuck the bottle out of his pack. Later when we went fishing I stuck the bottle in the outlet stream near where we camped. We kept a few fish for dinner. I had brought a couple small walla walla sweets and a garlic clove. We cooked the fish in butter with garlic and the onions and cooked up some top ramen. As we started to eat I said to him, "you know what would go really good with this? A nice cool glass of wine." He said, "oh man don't start saying stuff like THAT." I got up and retrieved the wine. It was nice and cold and as I poured some in his plastic coffee cup he said, "I can't believe you packed a bottle of wine all the way up here." I smiled and simply stated, "I didn't. You did." :D

13. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Home Page:
    LOL that reminds me of a line in Clint Eastwoods climbing flick..."The Eiger Sanction" after he and George Kennedy top out on an ascent of the Totem Pole in Arizona.

I have to say I really like my Snowpeak flask, pricy but super sexy and light :)

http://www.snowpeak.com/tableware/flasks-bottles/titanium-curved-flask.html

14. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Another amazingly classy option that seems to fit your exquisite taste and budgetary concerns...
    [​IMG]

kelvin likes this.
  15. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Yep