Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

(SFR) Another waterproof digital camera

2K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Cactus 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I also see that it is freeze proof. Down to -10.

I have a Stylus 500 and it wasn't freeze proof. It has the sliding lens cover which opens when it is activated. Well I left it in my car this winter and it tried to freeze up. The cover doesn't open all the way now, without help from the operater.

Gonna send it back to Olympus and see if they will fix it without costing an arm and a leg.

Jim

#5 ·
Looks like a nice little camera! I do wish it had a traditional view finder though and more than 3x Optical, but I will check it out. I've been thinking of getting the Pentax waterproof one and see what other options are out there.

Bill

#6 ·
I have a 720 SW. These have been out for several months. Almost exactly like the 770 it appears minus the "freezeproof designation". I have really liked mine. Lots of different "modes" to acheive different effects.

vs. the pentax, the olympus 720SW (and probably 770SW)

costs more
SHOULD be more durable/waterproof if judged by the ratings
is harder to navigate
takes pictures underwater better
does not take up close pictures of small objects as well (i.e. flies)

Good to have choices......

#7 ·
so the pentax takes better close up pictures. What type of memory card does the pentax use, if it is the SD i can just use my cards from my old camera. I know Olympus uses the XD, so I would have to get rid of all of my cards.

#12 ·
luckybalbowa said:
i got the pentax optio w20 for christmas and just used the underwater video option this last weekend. I posted some vids from that camera in the trip reports section of this forum under "short vids" if you want to see the quality of the video.

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/showthread.php?t=37892
Nice vid's!! I especially like the first one!

Guess this is the ultimate catch & release tool.. get a picture or video of your fish and you never have to remove it from the water! Sounds like a reason to get one, not that I really need one, a reason that is! :)

Luckily my current camera is an Olympus, so I already have an XD card I can use, assuming they haven't changed the size of the cards. I think some of the camera's use mini XD or SD cards.

Bill

#14 ·
flybill said:
Luckily my current camera is an Olympus, so I already have an XD card I can use, assuming they haven't changed the size of the cards. I think some of the camera's use mini XD or SD cards.
Yeah, the 720 takes the XD, or now the XD "H" version. I just picked up a 1GB for about $30. Almost 600 pics with high res.

#15 ·
First time I recall this type of info ...

MANOMETER.
The Stylus 770 SW features a built-in manometer that measures air and water pressure to calculate the altitude and depth of your photos.

What does it really bring to the party?:confused: Camera also appears to be a fixed lens, point and shoot, or am I missing something there too?

#16 ·
First time I recall this type of info ...

fredaevans said:
What does it really bring to the party?:confused: Camera also appears to be a fixed lens, point and shoot, or am I missing something there too?
It's got a 3x optical zoom, like the 720. It's not much, but for fishing glory shots, which is what I use mine for, you don't really need much zoom.

And I agree about the Manometer. What's that all about?

Jeff

#17 ·
luckybalbowa said:
i got the pentax optio w20 for christmas and just used the underwater video option this last weekend. I posted some vids from that camera in the trip reports section of this forum under "short vids" if you want to see the quality of the video.

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/showthread.php?t=37892
How do you know when the camera is pointed in the right direction when it's underwater? Does the viewfinder swivel about so you can see into it without you having to get your head wet?:confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.