SFR Digital Cameras

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by jessejames, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

I've got a $1400 Nikon digital SLR and several interchangeable lenses that I use regularly for work. WHile it's an outstancing camera, the plain fact is that I would never consider taking it fishing. For point and shoot situations, either my Canon S30 or my Nikon Coolpix 3200 take much better pictures.

K

2. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

I'll second the Pentax Optio WP. Small, compact, not a lot of moving parts. Easy to pack and you can take underwater shots. I just bought one a couple of months ago a gave my Minolta Dimage to my daughter. You have to spend a little more than $250 to get some bells and whistles, but it's got pretty good reviews.

3. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Home Page:
    I have the olympus and like it for outdoor stuff. It takes great pics. I am not going to say the mega pixals because anything above 3.2 is plenty for 8x10 fishing pics of your trophy. Like many have said look into the other stuff the camera does. Look for one that does a good job of pixel maping (less blurry pics) I have taken some god awful pics with a very expensive camera and some absolutely amazing ones with a medium priced camera. Remember you get what you are paying for to within reason. A 100 dollar digital camera is not going to be a great one, most likely a 1500 dollar digital camera will be too good for you. With all of that said my next camera will be the 20D by canon. I would never bring it on the river though.

4. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

When I get serious I use my Fuji S7000 and my go to point and shoot its the Canon A85. Both use compact flash cards and both use double aa's.

Daryle

5. Willie Bodger

Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

I've always liked the Canons, but for a fishing camera I would go with the Pentax Option WP as well. If you don't want that, then Canon makes an underwater case for their Powershot series (and maybe others, I just know because I have an old Powershot @30 with the underwater case that I've taken swimming with the fishes in Kauai and it worked wonderfully).

Willie

6. Stew McLeod

Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Google's Picasa software is free and does a relatively good job of post-processing of pics. It also does a great job of organizing them.

"mac

7. silver

silver south paw

I recently got a fuji F10 to use on fishing trips- mainly due to size and low light performance without having to use the flash. Fuji offers an underwater housing that they sell specifically for my camera. I'm not a diver nor am I that interested in under water photography but $140.00 for a housing is cheaper than three hundred for a new camera. Is this something that is practical to use to protect your camera for the elements or will it's severly limit the functionality/storablity of the camera?

8. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

I don't want to hijack Jabs' thread but................do any of you have digis with instant capture when you push the button to snap a pic? I have a Canon S400 elph but it has that annoying 3-second delay before the photo is captured. that drives me nuts.

I need something that has instant capture!

9. Willie Bodger

Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

I have to say the only thing I've seen with instant capture (though I haven't looked for a couple of years) are the DSLRs...

Willie

10. windtickler

windtickler Member

Get the Canon Powershot: it works great as a point-and-shoot, yet has basically the same interface a Canon SLR. That is, you can manually do control all of the exposures, plus it has some autom modes that work well. (I always shoot aperature priority mode). If you don't know what the hell I'm talking about, then I definitely wouldn't get any more of a camera than this.

By the way, I whipped out my Powershot to take that avatar photo.

11. Jim Jones

Jim Jones flytosser

I would also recommend the Pentax Optio WP. You can get it here for $232.00 after rebate:

http://www.willoughbys.com/shop/product.aspx?ref=cnet&sku=1000PENOPTWP

As Kent said, I was always reluctant to take my digital camera with me because I knew the day would come when it would be underwater. I certainly wouldn't take an SLR on the water. But that's just because I don't trust myself to excercise the requisite care to insure it's safety. Like Dirty Harry said, "A man's got to know his limitations."

As to Mingo's question, some of the newer more expensive cameras have faster CCD's that image more quickly. The Optio WP is not particularly fast and it's auto focus takes a little getting used to. But I can throw it in my bag, vest, jacket and not have to worry about it. And for the typical day on the water snapshot it does a great job.

Jim

12. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

I started this thread a year ago when I was looking for a digital camera. I have a Nikon Coolpix 4800 that I enjoy using. It has a nice feel in my hand I can steady it easier than any of the others I tried. This particular model is now on sale at some locations for 149.00 I paid more for mine. I have taken some great shots in low light conditions, something that is important for fishing, we don't always fish in the best of conditions. It will also focus in about 2" for those close-ups of bugs or flies. Whatever you get, buy extra media storage, batteries and a charger. Have fun!
    Blessings
    jesse clark

13. estill

estill Member

If you are shopping for a digital camera here is my recommendation. First of all set a price limit, and decide what you will primarily be using the camera for. Now go around to a couple of stores (electronic and camera stores) and try them out. Make the salesman show you all the bells and whistles. Once you have put together a short-list take a look at http://www.steves-digicams.com/ or http://www.dpreview.com/. Both of these websites review digital cameras, and have forums where you can go and read about other people with the same camera.

Nikon and Epson have also teamed up for a big rebate. Depending on the model camera you can get up to a $150 rebate when you purchase the corresponding Epson printer. There are probably other deals like this with other brands, but I am looking at the Nikon D70s.

14. windtickler

windtickler Member

When people ask me about cameras I always ask, "what do you want it for, recording history in snapshots, or doing art?" If it's the first, which I assume 99.9% of all people want a camera for, I recommend a $200 digital. In fact, I have both uses for a camera, and if I'm on the river, I have both my SLR and my powershot with me, but I always know why I'm taking the picture before I pull one out. You can get a damn fine picture with a 3.2M digital point and shoot, even if you don't know enough to, say, compensate for their religious overexposure.

Getting a DSLR pretty much ensures, also, that you like to monkey with the computer and want to use Photoshop to "take your pictures to the next level". It's not something you will whip out at Christmas and hand to your friend to take a few. Not that it wont work for that, but it would be kind of like getting a TCR 0 wt - complete overkill.

For those of you who are taking your SLRs to the river, I recommend getting a waterproof camera bag. I got the Aquazoom plus from http://www.ortliebusa.com/cartgenie/prodList.asp?scat=8
    it holds my camera, an extra lens, filters, etc. and closes like a river bag. Now my camera is the last thing I worry about when I take a dunk.

As far as underwater stuff, the same thing goes: it all depends on what you're doing. A disposable will take great pictures down to 30'. They sell little bags with plastic fronts for around $20. As far as a camera-specific housing, the one for $140 is the cheapest I ever heard of and if you plan on taking lots of pictures, it's sounds like a deal. Of course, I have a bit of a camera fetish.

15. Desmond Wiles

Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

Jabs, go with a Nikon! I've got the coolpix 4600. I saw they dropped the price some more, now only $175 at some places. Hands down, Nikon makes the best lenses out there. It's compact, 4 megapixels, with 3x optical zoom (plenty for taking on fishing trips). For $175 you've even got a few extra bucks to buy the optional rechargable battery pack with case package.