SFR Digital SLR

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by TrappedinCO, Mar 9, 2009.

1. 8wtflyrod

8wtflyrod take me fishing

I just purchased the D90 a week or so ago (Costco $1300 w/ 18-55 and 55-200 VR glass). Ive never had an SLR before, always used point and shoot. Amazing difference, even for someone who knows nothing about photography. The speed and quality of photo cant compare.

I was told over and over before I bought, that the camera is second behind the glass. Good camera and bad glass = bad pics. Average camera and good glass = good pics.

I have the Canon Pro9000 photoprinter and it prints 13x19 photos crystal clear, just like the major "developers". I was worried (before I bought it) that the 9000 would turn out just like all my photo printers of past, too expensive to print with and sub-par photos, but I am very impressed. Best photo printer out there.

2. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

As for the AA powered camera, seems like it might be cool esp if you got a roll up solar charger to go with it.

3. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

I couldn't agree more. As I get older, I've developed an annoying tendency for my hands to shake slightly, especially when trying to hold something steady like a spoon full of soup or a camera. ('Tremor' is a natural part of the aging process and not to be confused with Parkinson's.)

But the little shakes are a real drag when trying to take pics, especially under low light conditions. My original Pentax WP doesn't have IS/VR and frankly it's the only thing about it I dislike. My new Canon G10 does and I just looked at a couple pics I shot handheld the other day just after dawn and they're sharp and clear, even at 1/10th second exposures.

K

4. Milton Conrad

Milton Conrad Member

After reading reviews, comparing prices and checking cameras in the stores, I went with a Pentax K200D. Has more than enough features for my abilties, weather resistant sealing, and will run on AA Lithium batteries. An added bonus is that with an adapter ring I can use my old Pentax screw mount lenses.

Regards

5. Kyle McCurdy

Kyle McCurdy Member

Home Page:
    I have a Nikon D300 and a Nikon D70 and love both of them. No complaints. As for Nikon vs. Canon...I chose nikon over canon based on the options and features that were available at the time. Nikon had more of what I was looking for. This was years ago when I had a Coolpix 5700. After that I stuck with Nikon.

As for tri-pods...i never use 'em. Well once in a blue moon I will. Night shots or something. But most of what I do is fast paced and I don't have time to set up a tri pod.

6. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

I'll sell you a canon XTi pretty cheap

7. Jon Bial

Jon Bial Chasing the Magic

Home Page:
    As a gear junkie, I own a point and shoot digital, a D90 SLR with 18-200 VR and a Contax G2 rangefinder film camera. All have there place.

For fishing, I don't want to worry about batteries, and nothing beats the images from the Contax. Yeah, it's film, so I have to wait on processing and scanning, but it's still cheaper than playing the keep up with the digital game.

For shots of my kid and family, it's the D90. Same sensor as the D300 and I can shoot fast, furious and often. The convenience of digital outweighs the superiority of film.

Last, the diaper bag always has the point and shoot Casio Exilim in the side pocket. Theoretically, I should never miss a shot!

Anyone buying a camera should check out Ken Rockwell's site. http://www.kenrockwell.com

Jon

8. Kent Lufkin

Thanks for the tip on the Rockwell site.

Here's another site that I feel does an especially good job reviewing Canon gear (although just pro and prosumer models): http://www.the-digital-picture.com/

It's also worth noting that they offer camera bodies and lenses for rent, an inexpensive way to spend some time with a camera/lens combination you might be thinking about but before buying.

For those interested in using or trying out additional models besides Canon, you might consider http://www.lensrentals.com/for-all. The 5DmkII I played with the other week came from there.

K

9. SteelieD

SteelieD Non Member

Rockwell definitely leans towards Nikon and pretty opinionated but he does know his stuff. try www.dpreview.com

10. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

yea i second dpreview, by far the best review reasource i have ever found.

11. rainbow

rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Home Page:
  12. TrappedinCO

TrappedinCO Help! I'm trapped in a landlocked state.

Ken Rockwell seems pretty high on the Nikon D40. Any of you guys shoot this camera? Can't beat the price.

There you go, cross-posted with the above.

13. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

I have the D40x which Rockwell isn't that high on. As a matter of fact I think he says to not buy the 40x and buy the 40 instead. I can't remember why exactly but it has to do with the trade off of more pixels and lower ISO to acheive the same quality of shot. It's all over my head. Anyway the D40x is a very good camera to enter into the DSLR world. Two things; it requires lenses with a built in focus motor because the body doesn't have one which limits the lenses you can use if you rely on auto focus and with the 40's viewfinder you will need auto focus. Second the 40s don't have some of the advanced features that say a D90 or better would have. For one that is bugging the crap out of me and likely will force me to step up to the D90 is the lack of any bracketing feature. Another would be DOF preview. The lack of these features, a few others, and the lack of an in body auto focus motor has got me moving up.

14. Kent Lufkin

Kerry, are the lenses you have with in-lens focus motors compatible with newer bodies that have in-body motors?

K

15. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Yes, the Nikor AF-S lenses with the AF motor will work with bodies that also have built-in AF. Lenses that do not have a built AF motor can be used with the D40, D40x, and D60 but you have to use manual focus. Also there are some Sigma lenses that have an AF motor which work on the D40s and the D60. There may be a few other third party lenses with built in AF motors.