SFR Favorite meals when camping

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by sheetfly, May 10, 2008.

1. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I've never been one for cooking in the outdoors so when my day is done and I've had a few beers in me I will fire up the Colman and throw a steak in the pan with some salt and pepper. Brown it on both side and eat it with some Red Sauce.

After that it is lights out.

Jim

2. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Mmmmm, Bacon! Everything goes better w/ Bacon!

For a quick breakfast, my weakness is pop tarts. Frosted strawberry or blueberry!

A cooked breakfast:
    Hash brown scramble - shredded hashbrowns, eggs, green peppers, onion, mushrooms, sausage or bacon, cheese all cooked together and served with hot salsa and sour cream!

Corned beef hash and some fried eggs cooked in it!

Dinner:
    Varies a lot, but I like a good marinated flank steak or a simple pasta dish after a long day on the river. Nothing like sitting around the campfire with a good dinner and the drink of your choice! Fire up a cigar afterwards and it's golden!

3. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Breakfast: Thick bagel w/ cream cheese and coffee. Quick, no cleaning, and fills the gut.

4. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Lightly seasoned lamb chops, potato salad & Black Butte Porter.

MB

5. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Beat me to it. That said ...... the secret ingredients are ...... Oh hell tell them Fred: Rice wine vinegar and shaved/sliced fresh Ginger.

But given you/I've spilled the beans, as it were, a different one. Take a huge pile of pork tenderloins/chops, first browned in butter, then into a large pot and covered with cream of mushroom soup. Add sliced Yukon or red spuds, salt/pepper to taste and cook until spuds are done. Side of sliced green beans and you've a food group of the Gods.

6. David Prutsman

David Prutsman All men are equal before fish

Tin foil meals were the best growing up as a kid camping with the Boy Scouts. Dice up some onions, carrots and potatos. Mix in some burger and season it all with a little butter and Johnny's Seasoning salt. Wrap everything up in tin foil, throw it in the camp fire for about 10minutes and you're good to go. Fast and easy.

David

7. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

I got interested in DOs several years ago and have several sizes. You CAN literally cook anything in one but my favorite usually revolves around a stew or pot roast. I love comfort food. Another favorite is a "dump cobbler" desert. A real crowd pleaser.
    That said though, my MO rolling into camp usually involves a beer and pizza in town (so the first night is greetings and cocktails only) and I always pick up a large Hawaiian pizza for the cooler. Anytime day or night, if I get hungry I can have a pizza snack. I often hike with a Hawaiian too. Has all the food groups, keeps well, good cold, a quick fix, delicious, and no cleanup. Can't get more user friendly in my book.

8. Pieter Salverda

Pieter Salverda Member

Home Page:
    Brown, Hot and Plenty of it!

9. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

tims cascade jalapeƱo chips. bagels with cream cheese. pita bread with hummus, granola and yogurt. bratwurst, coffee, etc.

10. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Supper, dupper, Fresh fish....;)........dand bacon

11. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith DBA BozoKlown406

As a kid, these foods always tasted way better in the Beartooths than they ever could in the backyard or kitchen:
    #1 Brookies, eggs, bacon
    #2 Pork chops, carrots, onions, potatoes, butter in foil
    #3 Beef & barley soup, $1 wheat bread to dunk
    #4 Monster brown trout in foil with garlic, onions, butter
    #5 Percolator coffee, corn flakes, fire to dry off the tent dew, cold log to sit on

12. sheetfly

sheetfly Member

Man I'm looking forward to June. My AM plan starts the night before making sure everyone has all they want to drink. Then its up early before the hungover ones, a quick chorizzo egg and cheese scramble in a steaming flour tortilla eaten on the trail to my favorite stretch. Two hours of solo fishin and back to camp before anyone knows I was gone. Then someone gets up and makes a huge breakfast and then the beers come out. Only the dedicated will make it to the evening hatch. Being 50 has its rewards.

13. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    Steak, with a side of steak. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale if cool, Ice cold Heineken if warm.

Wakefield,
    cds

14. Mike Wilson

Mike Wilson Yakbowbw

Dutch oven ribs, or dutch oven anything with some cold brew to wash it down. Cast Iron rocks.

15. PT

PT Physhicist

Kabobs. Prepare everything at home and then put together and bbq on site. Mmmmm!!