SFR - Fishing Photography.

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by Dustin Bise, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Any suggestions for a polarized lense for my Canon s53s? I dont need a one beeeelion dollar lense either. Just one that will work and be a quality product.

I am so far out of my league here that I really don't have any idea where to start. I did find a P-lense that is made by canon for about $120 but before I spend money I would like a couple opinions.

2. Jason

Jason Trout Bum

Jeremy, what size is your lens?
    I got a CPL, 8x ND filter off of that auction website for a pretty good price.
    Check your PM.

3. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Oops I got the numbers wrong up top.

I have a Canon Powershot S51S and it says it is a 58mm lense. There is a "system map" that came with the camera and it doesn't have any specific polarized lenses listed but it does list a canon aftermarket conversion lense adapter LAH-DC20 but I do not know if that mates with the P-lense or not. Then it lists a Wide converter (wtf?) WC-DC58A and a tele-converter (wtf again) TC-DC58B and then a close up lense 500D.

4. Josh

Josh dead in the water

For your S5 IS, you are going to need to get the LAH-DC20 lens adapter if you want to mount a polarizer. The polarizer will need to be a 58mm size, and probably a circular polarizer as well (non-circular polarizers sometimes will screw up autofocus function).

A "wide" converter is just a big lens that screws on the front of your camera and gives you a wider view than the lens normally would. Good for stuff like tight indoor shooting or big expansive nature shots. A "tele" converter is just the opposite, it makes your camera more like a pair of binoculars (only not so powerful) and helps you take photos of things that are far away.

Here's a photo of what a camera looks like with a wide lens attached (this is not the specific canon lens):

http://www.raynox.co.jp/comparison/images/digital/S2is/camera/s2is-dcr730new.jpg

5. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

pictures should show the fish and not the idiot holding it...
    [​IMG]

6. tythetier

tythetier Fish Slayer

I USE A OLD POINT AND SHOOT THAT I HAVE HAD FOR YEARS. THIS THING IS OLD!!! BUT IT TAKES GREAT PICTURES. IT IS JUST A STANDARD 35MM FILM CAMERA. MY MOM WORKS IN THE PHOTO DEPT. AT WALGREENS AND SHE PUTS ALL MY PICTURES ON CD FOR ME.

I LIKE OUR DIGITAL WHILE ON THE RIVER AS WELL. BUT USUALLY ONE PERSON HOLDS ONTO THAT AND TAKES WHILE THE OTHER IS FISHING.

7. Joe Gallagher

Joe Gallagher New Member

I take pics with a cannon 20D with a Macro lense. Upclose fish pics turn out so much better with the Macro. On most point and shoots they have a Macro feature give it a try I think it will give you better results.