SFR: Gas Prices and Fishing Trips

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by 509, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Chris Puma

Chris Puma hates waking up early

Obviously I would need to see if the mpg vs fuel cost would offset buying a new vehicle. I'm sure there will be more options in the immediate future.

I'm just glad I live in the city and don't need to depend on my car to get to work.

2. cj6530

cj6530 Member

no, what needs to happen is RE-REGULATION of the gas and oil industry. the government, in a capitalistic society, needs to step in for the common good and take control. nothinig short of that is going to solve the issue with gas and oil. price controls is where this has to go if there is ever going to be any relief for the consumer.

of course, there is not a single politician with the balls to take this on including our 2 'do nothing' senators.[/QUOTE]

Take control of what? the USA is a net importer or oil. I guess the USA could regulate what the Domestic oil producers sell their crude oil at...but that would stop all USA invesment and exploration tommorow which would just make the problem worse. Also that would crush the USA stock market which would hurt your 401Ks and pension plans.

3. montnative

montnative born and raised in the Beartooths

Does that make it right to price gouge the consumer. no! This fuel situation is part of the reason this country is in the recession to begin with. It will keep people at home. Which in return hurt the little towns and communities the need the revenue generated by tourists to keep them afloat during this time. So basically its a whole snowball effect. lets just hope whoever is in the white house next doesn't have any oil ties and might do something about it.

4. Josh

Josh dead in the water

The way diesel is going up, it will be at $5 a gallon by August. Waiting until '09 to hit that mark would be a dream in my book.

5. Basttige

Basttige BOOYA

The prices definitely make trips that I would normally be willing to go for just the day, not really an option. Now I really don't want to drive an extended distance unless I am heading out Friday night so that I can get in a solid two days of fishing. I have already felt the pinch from fuel costs and traded in my glorious Toyota Tacoma (which I loved) for a Subaru that can still get me places but with great fuel economy.

Carpooling is definitely key, there's a lot of places I would be willing to drive and fish solo but simply won't because of the cost. Maybe there should be a Trip planing/Carpooling forum so its easier for people to hook up for weekend trips

6. Josh

Josh dead in the water

That's not a bad idea.

7. Chris Puma

Chris Puma hates waking up early

That'd be really cool especially since the posts wouldn't clutter up the main board.

8. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Bigfoot is blurry

With the rivers closed now it's not too bad. I can't get excited about fishing lakes so I have a hard time justifying a long drive to fish 'em. I thought about Pass Lake today...$3.65/gallon, 20mpg, 1 hour + drive...for trout. Maybe I'll take my bike for a spin.
    I'm sure my friends and I will be more coordinated in our fishing plans so we can carpool in the future. I'll be in a position to get a second vehicle before too long, and it will be a small 4cyl something or other, just like everyone is looking for right now. :beathead:

9. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

To all Bellinghampsters, like I said, Lake Whatcom in the summer can be KILLER for small mouth bass and trout and is only a 5 minute drive.

Hope you don't mind power boats, but than again maybe they will be fewer this year with gas prices what they are.

10. Ethan G.

Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

I usually don't drive more than an hour to fish, and that's a stretch. The farthest I usually go is the Elwha, and I don't get out there too often.
    -Ethan

11. Citori

Citori Piscatorial Engineer

View attachment 13804

Regardless of adjustment for "real" dollars, as though there were such a thing, the precipitous increase in gas prices, real or otherwise, over the last 4 or so years, shown on the graph, is hardly what any of us would deem to be acceptable. Forget fuel prices, anyone who believes this is acceptable needs to be very concerned that the price of kool-aid doesn't do the same.

Double up, take a buddy fishing, car pool. Don't reduce your fishing, but make sure oil companies don't unnecessarily profit when you do.

The only "real" dollars are the ones that you have in your pocket, or more importantly the ones you don't have when it comes time to pay your bills. Never before has fishing been quite so important.

12. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

I'm going to start riding my bicycle to work and save the fuel for the weekends.
    This winter I put a hitch on the subbie.
    24 mph pulling the boat.

13. gt

gt Active Member

cj, you simply determine a 'fair' ROI. something like say 30% as opposed to 500%-600%. the cost of production has not changed very much for decades. what we are seeing is SPECULATION on futures. what that means is folks are driving up the future price of a barrel of crude in order to make HUGE profits.

pretty straight forward and our government would be working in our best interests. and, NO, the sky will not fall, the earth will not stop turning, the one and only thing that would happen with price controls on the gas and oil industry is a reduction of $$ at the pump.

14. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

It affects my daily work and my weekend work. I sell houses and I used to get up and see the new inventory, I don't keep up on that anymore, too costly. The weekend trips are kinda out too. I drive my SUV to a local fishing place and keep it cheap, I have to.
    I've been looking into other more economical cars but haven't found the right one yet. Plus my car is paid for and I don't want/can't afford a payment right now.

15. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

You would think that someone would figure out how to "stimulate the economy" by reducing the price of diesel. High diesel prices, high trucking costs, leads to higher food prices, and on and on...