SFR: How many miles on your truck?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by JesseC, Apr 11, 2013.

1. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

2006 Dodge 2500, 5.9L CTD, 84K on it's way to 500K... or so many Cummins owners say. I had 170K on my Ford Ranger, 4.0L and have always subscribed to and followed the oil & filter changes as being a key to beating the odds on engine life.

Jesse - you might want to check locals reg's on "big truck ownership" where you live... kinda like a Cube being parked on a Texas ranch ;)

2. Matt B

Matt B ...

1996 Cherokee with 278,000 miles. Bought for $4200 in 2002 with 120K on it. Maintenance? Yes. What? Plenty of stuff, but nothing drastic--just your $400 jobs once, maybe twice a year. It's an old truck with lots of miles so I don't have any maintenance-free fantasies. Certain "elective" things have stopped working which I have elected not to fix, like the radio lights (STOCK AM/FM Cassette baby) and shifter lights and the passenger side power window just cree-ee-ee-ee-eeps up and down, if you're lucky. No real complaints for a daily driver. Ol' Whitey mostly stays in the barn until weekend fishing/Home Depot trips or if we need a 2nd car for some errand nowadays. I've got a gas-sipper to commute in now.

3. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

645,000 on my 95 Toyota.. Rebuilt the bottom end .005" over at 194,000, and rebuilt the top end at 264,000 when the head started leaking.

Patrick Gould, olypenjeeper and TD like this.
  4. wa_desert_rat

wa_desert_rat Active Member

Home Page:
    1994 Dodge Ram Cummins Diesel 3/4 Ton long-bed with 209,000 miles. It was our farm pickup and when we sold the farm we just kept it. Used it for everything from hauling hay to towing balers to camping trips with Boy Scouts. Two-wheel drive. Paid $16,000 for it when it had 30k on the odometer... at a small dealership in Kellog, Idaho.

5. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

179K on a 99 Explorer. Oil change every 3K and tranny service every 30K.
    Other maintenance items as needed. Still running strong except it is time for some new rubber.
    I've owned three of these all with over 150K, but this has been the best of the bunch as far as reliability.
    Went and looked at new 4Runners recently for some sticker shock therapy.

6. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

I'm on my 4th rig that I've driven over 175k on, so I don't buy new cars/trucks very often. I just change the oil and filter every 5k and other stuff as needed. My current vehicle, a 2000 Outback, is the first one that I've done that recommended checkup every 30k. I'm paranoid about having an unreliable vehicle, and that's been my main reason for buying new ones. They'd probably last even longer if I was willing to accept the inconvenience of needing unexpected repairs.

7. _WW_

_WW_ Geriatric Skagit Swinger

Work Van 97 GMC Safari 240,000+ I have replaced all the bolt on stuff - water pump, alternator, etc. but it doesn't leak a drop of oil, starts and runs like a top every damn day.

94 Nissan 4x4 117,00+ miles. Bought it used ten years ago with 90,000. Rebuilt the tranny and tuned it up twice.

Both rigs get 17 mpg.

My wife and kids have all the newer rigs - I'd have newer but I love living without car payments. :)

8. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

92 Toyota Landcruiser with 218K here. These rigs are so solidly build you just have to keep them tuned, and lubed, and they'll last you till' you don't want them anymore.
    I'd suggest any Toyota pickup, or one of the older mechanical Dodge Cummins rigs- the 89-98 years.
    Toyotas generally get great mileage, and are simply hard to kill; and the mechanical Cummins are all the benefits of power/size/capacity/mileage, without the possible computer and wiring issues.
    When you hone it down to a couple of makes, do a search for a fan site like WFF here, and you'll more than likely find a resource that will help you with repairs, and vendors that will offer a deal on OEM parts. As example I get my Toyota parts out of either New Mexico or Georgia, and pay on average 25% less than the local dealer and no shipping. OEM is still an expensive way to go, but I'm not trusting some bullshit made in Guadalajikistan parts when I'm somewhere deep in BFE.

Robert Engleheart likes this.
  9. NukeLDO

NukeLDO Active Member

230K on my 2005 Jeep Liberty. Maine to Washington, Michigan to Louisiana. Had to rebuild the rear end earlier this year, but still cheaper than a new car or a payment. Water pump twice, new AC compressor, change the oil religiously and pay attention to the little things when something doesn't feel or sound right.

10. Stew McLeod

Stew McLeod aka BigMac

210K on my 2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 (bough in spring of 00). Outside of the minor maintenance items, I had to replace the intake manifold (why is it made of plastic) last year so replace all the coils and plugs at the same time. It does sound like it needs some tightening in the front end due to some noises so I will tackle this summer or spring.

I feel I could hop in it right now and drive 12 hours back to Calgary to fish or visit family. Wouldn't bat an eye if I had to.

11. Ryan Havelka

Ryan Havelka New Member

I've got 116k on my 2004 Tacoma and still on the factory brake pads and clutch even with pulling my drift boat for 3 years. It runs like a top and still drives like new. I have always run full synthetic oil and the only maintenance I've done was a timing belt, water pump, plugs, filters, transfer case flush and such at 90k. Toyota's can be a bit pricey but if you buy one new and change the oil regularly they run forever.

12. Greg Holt

Greg Holt Active Member

94' Dodge cummins 4X4 259,000 and getting stronger. Oil ,grease,and oil filter at 9K invervals. Bolt on stuff wears out--fix it. The engine and standard transmission will probably outlive me.

13. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

02 Ranger.. 230,000 Miles Runs Great, By Far The Best Vehicle I Have Ever Owned......Way Better Than My 91 toyota

14. aaronk

aaronk Member

25,000 miles on my Tundra, and its only 8 months old...

15. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Bigfoot is blurry

I'd suggest one that doesn't have the 3.0 V6. Poor power and poor gas mileage. Plus it's a mess under the hood.

More to the original post, I'd narrow my search to pickups I like and then do a lot of reading to see what years/engines have issues. A lot of vehicles are prone to problems in certain years and configurations. There are some pickups I wouldn't touch.

Manual transmissions are usually more reliable than autos too.