SFR: How many miles on your truck?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by JesseC, Apr 11, 2013.

1. sweetlou

sweetlou Member

While most of you are boasting about your high miles longevity, how about my 1972 Ford XLT 390 V8 all original with 63K original miles? Got ya all by years, but not miles. No smog required and cheap parts for the most part. Maintenance is the key.

Robert Engleheart likes this.
  2. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Jesse, are you a tall guy over 6'? If so you need to go sit in a new Ram 1500. The seats are just superb and support guys(and gals) with long legs much better than the other trucks. The 8' bed requirement sounds like maybe you could use a single cab model. Ram still makes a utilitarian model that has the same engine, transmission and running gear as the $45,000 models but can be had in 4X single cab models for around $27,000. I was in one this week and the view out is like sitting in an F-16. The visibility outward in all directions is just terrific. You forget how much you miss in the cab of a supercab until you drive a conventional truck.

Here is what I hope to order. 2013 Ram 1500 4WD reg cab Tradesman
    3.6L DOHC V-6 with 8speed transmission
    Anti spin 3.55 rear axle
    17x7 alloy wheels
    Cloth 40/20/40 bench seat
    Carpet
    Chrome grill and bumpers
    Engine block heater
    Back up camera/auto dimming mirror w/display

This is everything I need in a truck with no electronic gadgetry. Price with shipping is $27,341. This is almost identical to what I ordered in 1994 but cost $10,000 more, gets about 10 mpg more, rides better, tows more and has two less cylinders. I won't need one of those license frames that say: "My Truck Is More Like a Car Than Your Truck!"

Ive

3. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

308k 1997 ranger4wd,but the 4x4 light lies!

Greg Gilliland likes this.
  4. fixj

fixj Member

a little off topic but about 30 years ago 3 neighbors and I bought a well used ugly old Ford 3/4 ton p/u.......we hauled everything imaginable; firewood, lumber, stone, top soil, bark, sod, even tubs of mixed concrete.... after several years we sold it for about 50% more than we paid for it...which more than offset all of our costs for insurance, plates, gas etc....it was the neighborhood beater..I think someone bought it just for the engine....a 351 Cleveland. I doubt we put 1000 miles on it. Great old Ford truck.

5. SccrBecks08

SccrBecks08 water-logged

97,000 miles on my 1994 F250 two-tone diesel beast...

6. Rod Wittner

Rod Wittner Active Member

'04 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4 x 4. Currently at 165K, no problems. I make sure it gets regular service and maintenance.

7. surfnsully

surfnsully Active Member

I had a 89 Toyota PU, the first year with the V6, and put on 350,000 on it before I sold it in 2004. Other than brakes and general maintanance I only changed out one water pump. I just wrecked my 06 Tacoma in the snow and ice last November with 130,000 miles and not a single issue. Needless to say I am sold on Toyota longevity and replaced my truck with a 13 4runner.

constructeur likes this.
  8. FT

FT Active Member

My pickup is a 1987 Dodge W250. It has 380,000 miles on it. Yes, I replaced the original engine 6 years ago with a rebuilt 360 because it developed oil leaks all over the place and it was nearly as cheap to just get a rebuilt engine put in it as to change all the gaskets, timing chain, and engine seals. The total cost, including taking out the old engine and putting in the rebuilt one, was just shy of $3300.00 sales tax included for a 7 year, 70,000 mile warantee. And for another $400.00 I changed to an Edelbrock intake and carburator at the same time. Still has the original tranny, transfer case, and axles. I changed the radiator and heater core just before having the engine replaced. Heck, it still has the original paint (it still shines due to annual waxing). I could not have replaced it with an equivalent pickup for the less than $4,000.00 I spent to put a new engine, intake, and carburator in it.

Granted, it doesn't get great gas mileage with the carburator and 4:10 axles (10.5 mpg on the hwy), but it has been paid for a long time and other than normal maintenance like oil & filter, tune ups, trans service, coolant service, putting a good polish/wax on it once per year, etc. it is rather economical when figured cost per mile. And since I only drive it about 5,000 miles per year, it will last me a long, long time before this engine needs to be redone or the truck replaced. And the best part, not car payments.

9. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

`08 Tacoma with 107K and change. All those trips to Kelly and Yellowstone, down to Idaho for elk; they DO pack on the miles!

10. Pete Bridge

Pete Bridge Member

2003 Toyota Tundra 46,000 miles.

11. PT

PT Physhicist

Second engine in my HPI Baja 5b ;)

Patrick Gould likes this.
  12. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Salmo's driving a ru.. I knew he was a lesbian all along

13. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Where do you put the fly rod holders on that thing? I saw "Baja" in the name and I thought maybe it was a Soobie.

I might get another truck, or a camper van, one of these days. My '04 Forester just turned 90,000. Still on its second set of tires, but due for an alignment job and new rubber any time now. The tires on it now were on it when I bought it in Sept 09, and they had over 12,000 miles on them already. Have close to 50,000 miles on 'em now. With the AWD, I could probably run them as slicks and still stay on the road, but I remember the nice ride that new tires can provide. Plus, I've lost enough tire diameter that my speedometer is reading at least 1 mph faster than my real speed! The wheels have to turn faster, and the higher rpm is putting slightly more wear on all my bearings! Ahhh, I'd better just go get some new rubber.

14. olypenjeeper

olypenjeeper Active Member

I sold my 05 Tacoma 4 cylinder 4x4 , it had just over 100K and the only thing I did was change the front brakes and rotors at 85K ( could have gone longer) and a wheel bearing right before I sold it. I changed the fluids every 30K with Royal Purple synthetic and oil changes every 5-6 K with Royal Purple. I changed the plugs at 100K also. That truck was awesome, never had a check engine light come on in the 60K miles I owned it. Hands down best vehicle I've ever owned.

Sold that to pay off credit card debt and picked up a 97 Toyota T100. Blew a Head Gasket a month into owning it (137K). I did the work myself and spent about 2,000 on new heads, water pump, timing components, plugs/wires, new radiator. Runs solid now. Good Compression at 170-175 psi across on a 16 year old engine. Good MPG too @ 18 average.

I plan on doing the brakes, wheel bearings, u-joints, new shocks, ball joints and rod ends and O2 sensors. all routine stuff that should be changed anyways BEFORE it fails. Everything seems tight, but I like knowing it's done right and good to go and won't leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere.

I plan on having this truck for a long time.

15. hydrological

hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

92 dodge w/cummins deisel 4wd. 140k, barely broken in. very minimal repairs, routine maintenance, 18mpg w/1800lb camper and drift boat
    (as long as i stay under 60) only used when fishing multi-days. spent all of march on the oregon coast @55mph or less, 20mpg. would like some more modern seats tho. the old school bench seat is hard on the back after a twenty hour drive. my 01 outback has 180k, and hauls the boat locally.