SFR: If incompetent state legislature doesn't enact a budget by 7/1....

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Dan Nelson, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

Without enforcement, isn't this the perfect time for some of the anti poachers to put their bullets where their mouths are? Great opportunity for those who preach stiffer penalties to actually stroll out there and do something about it. If they close it all down, that will mean anyone fishing will be a slimy good for nothing poacher so the hard liners won't even need to think critically about the situation they can just judge the "poachers" right there on the spot and enact what they feel is the appropriate penalty. Perfect! Although I'm fairly sure the same hard liners about poaching will likely be some of the same people to ignore the change in policy, scream and cry about it, demand their license fee back and head out there and fish anyway.

2. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Gentlemen relax. Governor Jay Inslee wants you to get into a tizzy about a hypothetical "WA state government shut-down" so that you will put pressure on the state legislature to pass some kind of compromise budget. He learned this trick as a recent D.C. congressman. Nobody will have to change their plans for July 1st. They will pass a budget soon and all will be well.
    It is ridiculous that they hold hostage self-sustaining (license & fee collecting) agencies/activities in order to sway state budget battles. I really wish this state did not dump fishing/hunting license fees into the mess we call the General Fund.

Jim Wallace likes this.
  3. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

i've been telling WDFW and the state to go f*** themselves my last couple trips. you want to listen to stupid people and open salmon for two days in may instead of weeks in june? you want to close all waters deeper than 120'? you want to not allow c&r of salmon? fine, i'll run a couple extra miles and fish where i can.

$100 for a canadian saltwater license was the best money i've spent this year.

Jim Wallace likes this.
  4. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Don't worry if this crisis occurs I will gladly step up and lead citizens of this fine state down the path of total enlightenment or we could just have a statewide party... whatever!!!!

5. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

I'm thinking they're way past enlightenment and now simply punch drunk ;)

6. PT

PT Physhicist

Almost funny except you probably believe the connection you're reaching for. SJBTM!!!

Actual sportsmen being held hostage on seasons already agreed to because our legislatures can't have whipped cream and a cherry on their sundae? YGTBFKM

7. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

How am I reaching? Have you read any of the poacher threads lately? No reach at all. And what do you mean almost funny, dude that was straight up cold arse hilarious. You should have that bone below your shoulder socket checked out, I think it might be missing.

Kent Lufkin and Chris Johnson like this.
  8. Stewart

Stewart Skunk Happens

They just represent us. Let that sink in.

9. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Hey freestoneangler, check Stewart's post, we both liked it! Holy Shit, alert the media!

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  10. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I have a fishing license. If there is no enforcement due to the lack of budget, what hangs is that? Minimal.

What does closing the season do for saving money? Bullshit! I can fish without their enforcement, do so legally according to the regs established before this crisis and according to the license I have already purchased, same as hunting.

Politicians do not represent us, they have become nearly all the same, horrible. We deserve better. Perhaps an economic collapse would allow for a nice cleansing revolution.

Jim Wallace likes this.
  11. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Ed, you make a good point. Most of us would follow the regulations anyway, whether or not there was any enforcement presence.

I always get a kick out of the locals I meet on the rivers here, who ask if I'd seen the game warden cruising in the area. As if that should make any difference in the way I'm fishing.
    I keep telling folks here that if they just follow the regs, then they'll never have to even wonder about the game warden.
    I think some people just like to play that game.

WonkyWapiti and Kent Lufkin like this.
  12. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

If WDFW would like, I will wear a WDFW costume and sidearm while fishing. Pretty sure all previously publicized rules and regs would be followed. If recreational anglers are out of the game, all harvest will still happen under our co-manager agreements, right? Maybe for a small fee those interested could get a special permit stamp on our WDFW licenses, endorsing us as limited partners with our co-managing sovereign nations.

bigdood and Jonathan Tachell like this.
  13. Jim Wallace

I mentioned this situation to some locals who work in the "seafood industry" here and one of them said he believes that the idiots in Oly wouldn't dare to fail to enact a budget and interrupt our life blood out here.
    If our elected reps and senators fail to come to a budget agreement, they would have no place to hide. Get a rope!

Grays Harbor County depends on both commercial and sport fishing, related tourist services, and seafood processing for a good portion of its revenue, and currently has the highest unemployment rate in the state of WA.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  14. Jim Wallace

Ha! My annual Discover Pass is good thru July 1st. If they shut everything down, I'll know in time to avoid paying $30 for a new one. Why buy one if its not good for anything?
    I have my lifetime multi-agency Sr pass for National Parks and National Forests, etc.
    I'll just fish in the National Parks. I have a huge "bucket list" of places in various Nat'l Parks I need to visit and fish. I won't even need a WA fishing license until the idiots in Oly wise up and pass a budget.

Maybe its time to go visit Old Man!:confused:

15. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Let us know how that works out for you.

Flyborg and Chris Bellows like this.