Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

(SFR) Time for a new FFing vehicle

7K views 118 replies 62 participants last post by  David Loy 
#1 ·
I'm finally financially stable enough (after many years of higher education) to consider replacing my trusty '91 Ranger 2WD pickup. I've been driving her since '99 and we've been all over the western US and Canada . ..but a recent marriage and modern safety features present new considerations!

I'm looking for first-hand info on the newer model (2003+) Toyota RAV4's, Subaru Forester and Outback wagons, and Honda's goofy looking Element. I do a lot of 2-3 night road trips with my wife in National Forest areas (gravel and 2-track roads) but I'm not looking for hard-core 4WD performance.

I'll be doing some test driving this weekend but I'd appreciate a review of these rigs as they perform as fishing cars.

thanks in advance,

Rod:beer2:

#29 ·
You guys are completely delusional. There is nothing cool about a subaru. Yeah they're functional.... Wow...super.. boring. Lezbaru. :rofl:

#32 ·
People suggesting a full-size pickup are sort of missing the point --he doesn't need low-range and it doesn't sound like any big, heavy boats are in the offing. Yes, they're cooler than small cars, but at more up front and half the gas mileage, it doesn't sound like it's worth it.

And I actually think Subarus are cool, properly equipped. I've got a stereo in mine that will melt your brain, which is the primary element of "cool" in my book.

#34 ·
JonB said:
Whoa.... 15 posts and not one rant about buying American!!! I guess I'll just wrap myself in the flag and go sulk in the corner.
JonB
Subarus are made in Lafayette, Indiana. Can't get much more American than that. Plus, it's only American to have the freedom to choose the most versatile, seamlessly AWD cars and wagons on the road, rather than blindly sticking to the concept of the old "Big Three" (especially when the current real Big Three actually includes Toyota and Chrysler is now DiamlerChrysler).

I've taken our Outback into some pretty crazy backroads and woods in search of the rare unpopulated fishing spot, and it's been great.

#35 ·
miyawaki said:
I have 400 miles on a brand new '07 Subaru that I just bought to replace my '87 Blazer that had 458,000+ miles. Leland.
Leland, that's totally amazing! If I do my math correctly, and assuming you were the original owner, you were logging about 24000 miles a year. Anyone who can keep a vehicle going that long, at that rate of usage, is bound to know some tricks worth sharing. Additionally, I'd guess that with all the experience represented by this board, there must be a gold mine of ideas about maintenance, preparation, storage, functional adaptations, accessories, etc., related to travelling and "off-roading" inr the pursuit of fish.

I think you should convince Chris to launch a new forum for car and truck "survival" issues only, kind of like our own "WFF Car Talk" feature. You could be the host, if only you could find a brother with an Italian surname who speaks with a Boston accent and has an advanced degree from MIT.

(Per CWU Girl - Lezbaru...that's a new word for me!)

#36 ·
JonB said:
Whoa.... 15 posts and not one rant about buying American!!! I guess I'll just wrap myself in the flag and go sulk in the corner.
JonB
JonB-he was asking for first hand info on a toyota or a subaru, thats probably why no one mentioned american. I drive a chevy truck, my wife drives a jeep. it is her 3rd jeep and i'm on about my 17th chevy truck. i'm all about buying american cars, but thats not what he wanted. i think my truck is the ultimate fishing rig. if not my truck, then the jeep is a close 2nd. i would make lots of american suggestions, but thats not what he was after.

#37 ·
The new Jeep Patriot looks like it might be a nice selection with good economy and good all wheel drive. I'd stay away from a Escape hybrid unless you were looking for something easy to park in Ballard. That kind of electronic stuff doesn't sound compatible with crummy roads. Its tuff to beat a pickup with rugged tires.

#38 ·
Dan Soltau said:
What are you talkin about? I dont know a single subaru owner who isnt proud of the sheer funtionality of the car, 5 inches of snow is no problem. When it was snowing like a mother I was the only person I know who could drive without studs, even 4x4 trucks were stuck then...
Had to chuckle when I read the above. Down here in So. Or. we had a couple of duzzie snow storms in February. For the fun and games of it, that's when I'd go for a drive in my Jeep Liberty. Of the few other vech. on the road ... the majority of them WERE subi's.:hmmm:

#39 ·
Sterling silver said:
The new Jeep Patriot looks like it might be a nice selection with good economy and good all wheel drive. I'd stay away from a Escape hybrid unless you were looking for something easy to park in Ballard. That kind of electronic stuff doesn't sound compatible with crummy roads. Its tuff to beat a pickup with rugged tires.
The patriot is more of a real 4x4 system in the sense that it has 4x4 lock with a shift lever. the compass is an "all wheel drive"(no 4x4 shifter at all)both are about the same size and the patriots have just started landing on the lots. we got our first one last week. they are inexpensive and so far the compass has been a pretty good little rig for us. they are small though, i will say that for sure.

#40 ·
Dan Soltau said:
What are you talkin about? I dont know a single subaru owner who isnt proud of the sheer funtionality of the car, 5 inches of snow is no problem. When it was snowing like a mother I was the only person I know who could drive without studs, even 4x4 trucks were stuck then...
those 4x4 drivers need driving lessons if they were stuck and your subaru was the only one getting around in 5" of snow. nothing against subarus, i think they're great, but the 4x4 drivers who can't drive in 5" of snow without studs need help badly.

#41 ·
Troutpocket,

I've put 93,000 totally trouble-free miles on my Subaru Legacy Outback (made in Indiana) since 2000. I bought this car as an alternative to a testosterone laden 4X4 F-250 or 350 that gets driven to the office 5X as often as it gets driven for fishing, hiking, backpacking, X-country skiing, bicycling events, etc. So I wanted a vehicle that's greener and half as dependent on middle east oil.

CWU girl thinks you can't pick up any chicks with a Subaru other than ***** tennis champions, but that's not true. Lance Armstrong also pitched Subes. And I picked up a nice young thing who drives a Toyota pickup that doesn't tow my 16' Lund any better than my Sube, but that's changing the subject.

I've got bike racks on top (and ski racks too), but also have a hitch mounted bike rack for when I want to carry more bikes, or put my canoe on the car, with bikes on back. I can stuff full on camping and fishing gear in the back for a week's outing. Or 2 Watermasters and fishing gear for two, and my shuttle bike on top. And I've got overhead rod storage inside. Or . . . it's been a very versatile car. And during the snow and black ice, I had better traction even than the 4X4 pickups. So far it's been everything I wanted, and I'll probably buy another.

Let's see, I did buy a new set of tires at 75,000 miles. Wow, what a disappointment.

They're not for everybody, especially CWU girl and Sloan, but it might be right for you.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#42 ·
JonB said:
JonB
Newcaster, Josh, I was actually pointing out the fact that we were 15 posts into the thread without the "buy American" rant. I wasn't advocating that standpoint myself. It is a bit ironic....elsewhere on the board another thread is raging and people are debating the vitues of buying flies from your local shop because that flies are made here instead of "offshore". In another thread people are arguing that one should purchase a certain brand of rod because that rod is made in the USA instead of being made "offshore". I didn't even realize that Subarus were being assembled her in the USA so that adds yet another layer of ironi.:cool:
I don't have anything against Subarus. They've allways just looked kinda gay to me. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
JonB

#43 ·
Thanks all for the info so far. Spent all day test driving and the best rigs so far are:

The Subaru Outback Turbo Wagon (glued to the road, 40-80mph in nothin' flat, amazingly quiet and really well setup for a fly fisher) and the NEW model Rav4. That little toyota has more cargo space than the Subi Forester and rides much nicer. Push button 4x4, 25mpg with the option 6cyl . . .a strong contender.

The ones we didn't like include the Honda Element, which felt like a pair of pants that didn't fit right, and the Forester which was ok, just didn't have a very smooth ride and was loud at freeway speeds.

Time for more research . . .

#44 ·
Do it! Get the turbow wagon, you will never look back...:cool:

troutpocket said:
Thanks all for the info so far. Spent all day test driving and the best rigs so far are:

The Subaru Outback Turbo Wagon (glued to the road, 40-80mph in nothin' flat, amazingly quiet and really well setup for a fly fisher) and the NEW model Rav4. That little toyota has more cargo space than the Subi Forester and rides much nicer. Push button 4x4, 25mpg with the option 6cyl . . .a strong contender.

The ones we didn't like include the Honda Element, which felt like a pair of pants that didn't fit right, and the Forester which was ok, just didn't have a very smooth ride and was loud at freeway speeds.

Time for more research . . .

#45 ·
How about a 1952 MG TD? Tom and Ray love it:

"Let's be perfectly clear about this: There's nothing on this car that's plus or cushy, or could ever be construed as being comfortable. The seats are just a little bit better than sitting on a pile of rocks.

The noise level on the inside of the MG is excellent. There's plenty of it! For this reason, we recommend this car only for the profoundly hearing impaired or those with hearing aids that can be turned off.

Visibility is excellent. There are no blind spots because there's nothing like a window or a roof to obstruct the view. Or protect you if, say, an errant heat-seeking missile was aimed at the car.

There is no heater in the MG. This car was made before heat was even invented, and only a few years after fire was discovered by Piltdown Man.

Air conditioning is au naturel.

When it comes to comfort, on a scale of 1 to 10, the MG is about a 3; which puts it on a par with driving a tree. "

http://www.cartalk.com/content/testdrives/Reviews/mgtd.html

#47 ·
I would look heavily at the Honda element. All wheel drive, enough power to get up and down, two people can comfortably sleep in the back (seats fold up on the inside), decent gas mileage (about 26) and is incredibly ugly. We have a neighbor who has one and with snow or nud on the ground this time of year (in the Okanogan Highlands) it seems to be one of the best vehicles in those conditions.......and did I mention ugly?

Jim Wheeler
Spring Creek Prams

#49 ·
JonB said:
JonB
I wondered about that too .. until I read the current issue of Consumer Reports. Most of the 'foreign' cars are actually built here in US or Canadian Plants. Just don't ask where a lot of the "parts" came from.

#50 ·
I own a 2001 RAV4. I do enjoy it a lot, and it performed well on an October trip through British Columbia that made me grateful for the 4wd. Highest MPG was around 26. If you're shopping for something new, you should look closely at the Ford Escape Hybrid.

As an alternative, you might also look for a TDI ride. That's Turbo Diesel Injection, for the uninitiated. Their fuel savings can be substantial, and the diesel will provide a lot of pulling torque. The only problem you will encounter is simply finding something that will do the job and that you can afford. What I mean by that is discovering whether or not such a beast exists that will serve your needs. As we all know, most auto manufacturers lag behind the reality and customer need curve.

Do your research. The answer is out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.