Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

(SFR) Time for a new FFing vehicle

7K views 118 replies 62 participants last post by  David Loy 
#1 ·
I'm finally financially stable enough (after many years of higher education) to consider replacing my trusty '91 Ranger 2WD pickup. I've been driving her since '99 and we've been all over the western US and Canada . ..but a recent marriage and modern safety features present new considerations!

I'm looking for first-hand info on the newer model (2003+) Toyota RAV4's, Subaru Forester and Outback wagons, and Honda's goofy looking Element. I do a lot of 2-3 night road trips with my wife in National Forest areas (gravel and 2-track roads) but I'm not looking for hard-core 4WD performance.

I'll be doing some test driving this weekend but I'd appreciate a review of these rigs as they perform as fishing cars.

thanks in advance,

Rod:beer2:

#78 ·
Before I got my car, my dad, so therefore we, had a liberty. The reason we got an suv was because we wanted something bigger, and the liberty is no bigger inside than my subaru. Plus, out of three trips to montana in the liberty, we had 3 flat tires. Which is not really related to the car, but we have never had another.. Then we stopped by the gmc dealership, and found a yukon xl. And that my friends is the way the cookie crumbles. I would never buy a yukon xl for myself unless my company paid for my gas, otherwise it s subaru all the way. The yukon is the ultimate fishing rig when it comes to storage, rod organization (11' rods will fit in the racks" ), and overall fishability. The jeep wasnt comfortable for long road trips, my dad said "it drives like shit," and it was not bigger enough to be worth the normal SUV expenses.
Dennis, youre a smartass, duh.;)

#79 ·
Thats kind of what i thought...it wasn't the worst fishing rig ever. it just wasn't as big as you thought when you chose it and you got a couple flat tires.
Jim W-the seats i think are comfortable. my wife and i were going to buy one, but i am 6'4" and she's just shy of 6' tall and with a 90lb lab that goes everywhere with us, the rig was too small for us. Dan was right when he said it is small, but if it's big enough for you, then i guess it's not too small. lots of people drive them and lots of people love the way they ride. it's a jeep, not a yukon XL. comparing it to the XL is not a good comparison at all. apples and oranges...my .02
:beer2:

#81 ·
Thats kind of what i thought...it wasn't the worst fishing rig ever. it just wasn't as big as you thought when you chose it and you got a couple flat tires.
Jim W-the seats i think are comfortable. my wife and i were going to buy one, but i am 6'4" and she's just shy of 6' tall and with a 90lb lab that goes everywhere with us, the rig was too small for us. Dan was right when he said it is small, but if it's big enough for you, then i guess it's not too small. lots of people drive them and lots of people love the way they ride. it's a jeep, not a yukon XL. comparing it to the XL is not a good comparison at all. apples and oranges...my .02

#82 ·
[/QUOTE]Dennis, youre a smartass, duh.;)[/QUOTE]

:clown:

I've had 2 Jeeps an 86 CJ7 and a 00 Wrangler Sahara. Although they're fun vehicles you can't put anything in them. If you plan on taking a trip your limited to one person and that's with the back seat taken out for your gear. Road noise is another problem even. Even with the hard top it's loud add bigger tires to the equation gets even louder.

Don't get me wrong, Jeeps are fun but not functional for taking a fishing trip in. More for cruising to your local honey hole.

#83 ·
Josh Benjamin said:
I agree, it is no comparison. I will admit that i like the new 4 door wranglers though...

#84 ·
As you can see I've had a few rigs and all had strong points and week ones. Well most did . Here is how I would rate em.
#1 Pick up = Hauling and miliage combo and comfort. :thumb:
#2 Cargo van = Hauling and price. Bad death trap in snow. :)
#3 Isuzu = Good in snow. Not much in the hauling and mieage not that good. :rolleyes:
#4 Chevy Suburban = Bad mileage good hauling. :hmmm:
#5 Jeep = Good in snow is about all I can say. bawling:

#85 ·
[Spanish Fly/Quote]
I've had 2 Jeeps an 86 CJ7 and a 00 Wrangler Sahara. Although they're fun vehicles you can't put anything in them. If you plan on taking a trip your limited to one person and that's with the back seat taken out for your gear. Road noise is another problem even. Even with the hard top it's loud add bigger tires to the equation gets even louder.

Don't get me wrong, Jeeps are fun but not functional for taking a fishing trip in. More for cruising to your local honey hole.[/QUOTE]

That's been my understanding of jeeps.
Thanks! I will do my research and test rides.:cool:

#89 ·
Trail_Blazer said:
Escape Hybrid. I bought mine last spring and absolutely love it. I drove it on its share of logging roads last summer and it did great. 30 mpg on highway and city and it doesn't pollute while sitting at stoplights. I love mine.
Awesome, hows the storage! I really think this will be my next vehicle.. unless a flying truck comes out, then I definitely want a flying truck. Othersie....

#92 ·
Jim Wallace said:
How are those Escape Hybrids for towing?
looks like you can tow more with a 4 wheeler than you can with the escape hybrid;) .
155 combined horsepower...i understand the whole green...fuel economy...etc. thing but i need something where at least i won't fall asleep driving it. no offense to anybody.
i think diesel is where it's at for the future. my .02

#94 ·
I've been using an Element for a couple of years as a fishing car and it is great! It has on demand AWD and handles the snow ande mud easily. It is the ONLY car that can comfortably seat 4 big guys in waders. The floors are rubber and the seats are waterproof. It has plenty of power and the seats make into beds. I'd suggest you look at it.

#96 ·
I have a Honda CRV and have been all over WA, MT, ID, OR and BC. I have two dogs a spouse and can fit two pontoon boats inside; taken apart of course. Goes every where in snow and mud. I live in the mountains outside Ellensburg and never got stuck once in the Winter(I have to put chains on the front if the ice is bad or in deep snow). I have about 150,000 miles on it and no problems. I tow a small boat behind it too. Decent gas mileage No complaints so far other than it is a little under powered in some cases

#97 ·
I own a 2005 Wrangler TJ and a 1997 Subaru Outback. I would recommend both. A lot of our friends have Subarus and none of them have been disappointed. I use my Wrangler as my fishing rig fully right now though as we got the Subaru mid-winter. It does get small quick as you load up camping gear and such, but I strap my rod cases up under the roll-bar and if you get any kind of net system to hang stuff, or better yet a basket on top, you will find that it can actually hold plenty of stuff. Some of the jeep guys on the Jeep forum I frequent use it as their sole camping vehicle for their families (especially if you get the unlimited). You just need to know how to pack it.

Either way, my two suggestions are obvious. We love both our vehicles, and I have to be honest and say that the Jeep is by far the most rewarding vehicle I have ever owned. I am a brand guy, I was into VWs for years, I have an MGB and am really into the history of MG, and now Jeep has me sold. They don't promise you much with the Wranglers, but what you expect, you get, and it delivers it all well. Road noise has never been an issue for me so that doesn't bother me, I drive it with the soft top year-round. It gets me more places than any vehicle I have ever owned, is a blast to drive, has plenty of power, and taking the top down is so awesome.

#101 ·
I'm leaning toward diesel. Something like a Jeep Liberty diesel, or a kraut TDI. My bipolar '62 Westphalia camper, (aka: "hitler's revenge") must have created a warm spot in my gut for German engineering. Or else I've selectively forgotten all those fun roadside emergency repairs and 2,000 mile oil changes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.