Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

(SFR) Time for a new FFing vehicle

7K views 118 replies 62 participants last post by  David Loy 
#1 ·
I'm finally financially stable enough (after many years of higher education) to consider replacing my trusty '91 Ranger 2WD pickup. I've been driving her since '99 and we've been all over the western US and Canada . ..but a recent marriage and modern safety features present new considerations!

I'm looking for first-hand info on the newer model (2003+) Toyota RAV4's, Subaru Forester and Outback wagons, and Honda's goofy looking Element. I do a lot of 2-3 night road trips with my wife in National Forest areas (gravel and 2-track roads) but I'm not looking for hard-core 4WD performance.

I'll be doing some test driving this weekend but I'd appreciate a review of these rigs as they perform as fishing cars.

thanks in advance,

Rod:beer2:

#2 ·
my car is a fishing machine. It can cast 150 feet with no falst casting. It outfishes Zen 10 to 1 for spawned out steelhead. Talk about a performing fishing car...:rofl:

Serously thought - this is more subjective than "what's the best rod?".

But some things to consider:

Handling pot holes?
Narrow trails = scratches from branches?
methhead target?
Gas mileage?
Towing?
Gear hauling (pontoons?)
Snow\ice\moutain passes?
Will you sleep in it?
Leg room \ road trip comfort?
How many fishing buddies will it fit?
Wet waders \ muddy boots?
Rod storage?
Fly patch in the visor :cool:

#12 ·
I'm pretty sure every subaru on the road is 4x4. watch for head gasket issues on used 4 cyl's. don't know much speciffic. my sister in law has an '01 outback wagon 4 cyl. head gasket blew. my buddies at the subaru dealer told me thats quite common. they have a special warranty on that issue, maybe to 100k miles. not sure of the specifics though so double check me, also don't know if that applies to a second owner, but i would think it would.
good car otherwise though.

#13 ·
HAVE YOU EVER THOUGHT ABOUT ANY OF THE NISSAN RIGS? I DONT OWN ONE PERSONALY, BUT A FRIEND WHO IS LIKE MY BROTHER HAS THE NEW V6 TITAN (I THINK THAT IS THE ONE) AND NISSAN OFFERS THE 'NORTHWEST PACKAGE' WHERE YOUR PAINT IS GURANTEED AGAINST SCRATCHING OR CHIPPING. THE V6 WITH A SIX SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION HAS LOADS OF POWER AND TORQUE.

JUST A THOUGH....

ALSO, I OWN A OLDER SUBARU, AND THEY ARE THE $HIT FOR A FISHING RIG. ROOM IN THE BACK FOR GEAR, THE BEAUTY OF ALL WHEEL DRIVE..THINK OF THE POSIBILITIES...

TY

#14 ·
I've only heard bad things about subarus. Everyone I personally know that has one has had a lot of trouble with it. Ive seen a ton of those things broken down on the 205 bridge. Almost every day there was one broken there. And while they are all wheel drive, they are horrible for off roading.
Get something with some testosterone.

#15 ·
Sloan Craven said:
I've only heard bad things about subarus.
Except for all the praise above! My girlfriend and I use her 2002 Legacy Outback for all camping, fishing, backroads stuff. We have the wagon - perfect for throwing the dog and gear in the back + 4 people. AWD + 5 speed is fun as hell on gravel FS roads. Others mentioned the head gasket issue - this is true. Subaru extended the warranty and I believe most newer models are covered till 100,000 miles, even for 2nd owners. Ours was checked out and it is fine. Gas mileage isn't anything to write home about but better than any truck. Good luck!
Tyler

#17 ·
I have a 2005 Forester. No problems at 25,000 miles save that the car doesn't have any juice. I have to downshift to cross mountain passes my old Pontiac Grand Am GT (four-cyl stick) could eat for breakfast. The Subi is also the normally-aspirated four cylinder with a stick. MPG varies wildly --from 22 in the cold in town to over 31 in moderate weather at 60-65 on straight prairie highways. Note that I am VERY easy on the gas --I would routinely get 34-38 true mpg with my Grand Am-- so your mileage might be less. If there's any chance you'll be towing a boat, look elsewhere.

If I had the cast, I'd look at the Ford Escape Hybrid. Mileage in the high 20s, enough power to tow a small boat, and enough ground clearance to do fine on anything that could remotely be called a road.

#18 ·
Rod, Sounds like you live in Ballard so I would imagine that parking and I'm thinking of overall size of the vehicle would be an improtant thing. My wife has owned 2 legacy wagons and loved them. One she had for years and had I think around 200,000 when we got another rig. We never had a problem with ours but that was just our experience though. My in-laws have had problems with the one they own it's a 2003. For the size I think the MPG isn't that good but if size and offroad is improtant to you it may be a good choice for you. I have a Toyo P/U that I drive to work and have 175,000 on and have only had to change fuel pumps and the regular oil change. It has been a flawless rig. It's a 1988 and still looks new and runs great. I made the change over to a Dsl. truck a couple of years ago and consider it the best thing I ever did but if size matters then stay small.

#19 ·
Longs for Cutts said:
If I had the cast, I'd look at the Ford Escape Hybrid. Mileage in the high 20s, enough power to tow a small boat, and enough ground clearance to do fine on anything that could remotely be called a road.
Ok Ok Ok.. No one I know has had good things to say about the subarus other than they "think they are cool".

I have heard goos things abou the Ford Escape hybrid though. Can't go wrong with going green.

#20 ·
i have an outback...

it's great. it's a real simple car. don't expect any thrills in driving it.

the trunk space is huge! i put a dog bed in there for my lab. she's got a doggie condo.

the subaru is small enough where i can still park it easily in the city.

that was my biggest consideration in buying a car.

just make sure you get true 4 wheel drive or all-wheel drive. a lot of cheaper suvs claim to have 4 wheel drive but it's basically responsive all wheel drive (pretty useless).

i'd look into the Nissan xTerra. i don't know why i didn't test drive it.

#21 ·
What are you talkin about? I dont know a single subaru owner who isnt proud of the sheer funtionality of the car, 5 inches of snow is no problem. When it was snowing like a mother I was the only person I know who could drive without studs, even 4x4 trucks were stuck then...
Sloan Craven said:
Ok Ok Ok.. No one I know has had good things to say about the subarus other than they "think they are cool".

I have heard goos things abou the Ford Escape hybrid though. Can't go wrong with going green.

#25 ·
Well I have a older Subara wagon,'92. I never wash it and it is now a good two tone color. Light brown on the bottom and a dark gray on the top. I take this piece of shit everywhere. It gets me there and back. Only problem I have with it is sometimes I take it where you can't get out without a tow truck.. It also serves me as a traveling motel and holds a ton of gear. And gets 28 miles to the gallon. And is paid for.

Jim

#26 ·
My wife's car is a '98 Forester, we bought it new and it's been a great car. Goes well in the snow and rain due to AWD. It is roomier than the Outbacks as it's "boxier" and the windows aren't so close.

You could car camp with it, but I wouldn't want to sleep in it, too short. We use the F-150 for sleeping in with the canopy on.

We've had 98K trouble free miles, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.